Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

DT DC has a larger DT population than Philly. DT DC is larger than DT Philly. It's right on Chicago's heels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DT DC has a larger DT population than Philly. DT DC is larger than DT Philly. It's right on Chicago's heels.
You're forgetting one more thing DC's Finest, the mindset in these downtowns. In all my years I havent seen any downtown outside of NY that has a faster push comes to shove glance at wrist watch every 5 seconds mindset as I have in DC. Our speed also helps give an area a busier feel and its only surpassed by NY IMO.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

DC has more employees; the concentration is a little lower as the density of employees is less but more over a larger footprint

Some comes down to what is and is not considered DT

Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,949 times
Downtown Atlanta's population is 30,000. If you include Midtown that number is probobly well over 100,000.

However Atlanta's CBD is much bigger and denser than people give it credit for.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DC has more employees; the concentration is a little lower as the density of employees is less but more over a larger footprint

Some comes down to what is and is not considered DT
This is kind of what the problem is with the other thread about urban cities. If people think arbitrary and try to cut pieces of the city up analyzing them one by one instead of looking at them as a whole which many people did with Chicago, it's very hard to measure accurately. Anybody visiting a city like Washington DC for instance would have absolutely no clue that DuPont Circle, Logan Circle, West End, and NOMA were not apart of downtown DC. There is absolutely no visual marker or change in the built environment. They resemble the area that is considered "downtown DC" more than any other cities adjacent property. You literally cross a street next to buildings that look exactly the same. This is why I have said in the past, as DC continues to buildout, half the city will be built like downtown. How will someone know they have left downtown or entered downtown? The core is becoming quite impressive.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest
DT DC has a larger DT population than Philly. DT DC is larger than DT Philly.

Whoa whhaaaaaat????

The pace in Philadelphia surpasses DC from my experiences. Have spent alot of time in both downtowns and I believe I have a firm grasp of the situation.

Center City core(just downtown) population is 58,000. Extended Center City Giard to Tasker the population is 180,000(7.8 sq mi) .Univ City adjacent to Center City has a population of 50,000 with another 50,000 students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
You're forgetting one more thing DC's Finest, the mindset in these downtowns. In all my years I havent seen any downtown outside of NY that has a faster push comes to shove glance at wrist watch every 5 seconds mindset as I have in DC. Our speed also helps give an area a busier feel and its only surpassed by NY IMO.

Center City Philadelphia is probably the closest comparison to NYC in the USA. On a much much smaller scale of course.

Dude today it took me 1 hour to go 15 blocks because there are 2 movies being filmed in Center City. The Films actual setting are in NYC but Philadelphia is a stand in for NYC. This happens several times a year.

Center City

http://phillyskyline.com/photo/psps2/psps2_20.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/3...98e4049d_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/...57fdb0c74b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/58...7646e670_o.jpg

Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
After those two, I'd say SF, Philly, and Boston all have similarly large downtowns. I'm not sure which is actually the biggest of the three, but they all pretty much seem to be about the same size to me.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 PM

459 posts, read 723,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Wikipedia says Center City Philly is the 3rd largest downtown by population after NYC and Chicago with a population of 57,000 in 2 square miles.

Downtown Los Angeles has a population of 45,000 in an area of 5.3 square miles. Expect this number to rise - DTLA grew despite the recession (In 2006 the population of DTLA was 29,000. It has grown by 65% in 6 years), and now that we are finally pulling ourselves out, the number of new developments is simply staggering.

Another interesting note about DTLA is that it is currently at a perfectly even racial demographic split - 25% Caucasian, 25% Black, 25% Asian, 25% Latino. Probably won't last long as the Caucasian and Asian populations are rising.
Interesting. It is true that DTLA is larger than most people understand. So many people have begun living there, I do have high hopes for Downtown because I love it.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I think dt LA is pretty big and actually bigger than dt Boston and Philly. Philly's dt though large in residents and office workers seems very compact. Dt LA has tons of warehouses and manufacturing to the east and southeast plus its many districts like the Arts District, the Toy, Flower and Fashion districts. Then there is Japan Town, Olvera St, the Civic Center, Bunker Hill, the Financial District, the Old Banking District, Southpark and so on.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Downtown Toronto has a resident population of 175,000 in 4.5 square miles.
go T.O!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City