Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do we go?
Boston 15 28.30%
LA 10 18.87%
SD 7 13.21%
SF 15 28.30%
Seattle 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times

Advertisements

My girl was talking to one of her partners tonight and I overheard her say that our next move was to a coastal city. Which I definitely concur. It got me to thinking, where was the next move going to be. We are both professionals that thrive in big city environments so it will have to be a large metro. We need the following amenities:

Rich culture
Mass transit
Strong medical community
Strong nonprofit community
Diverse population
Vibrant restaurant scene

*neither one of us are fans of the south (which eliminates Houston, NO and Miami) so this thread is limited to east and west coasts.

**neither one of us want to do NY again right now.

Last edited by 75 South; 05-14-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
San Francisco

Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Well, because you specifically asked about the 'coastal' aspect, I'll say LA and SD have the best neighborhoods right along the ocean.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, because you specifically asked about the 'coastal' aspect, I'll say LA and SD have the best neighborhoods right along the ocean.
He's looking into moving to one of these possibly, so we should be as objective as possible. From what I know of him he likes compact urban cities, upscale arts and entertainment, good parks, good public transit, walk/bike friendly, and he doesnt mind cold weather [Denver, Chicago, New York].

My suggestions are SF, Boston, or Seattle for him. If cost is a factor then Boston or Seattle as they are less expensive than SF. I would pick Boston in this case IMO

Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 AM

113 posts, read 553,078 times
Seattle really isn't a 'coastal' city as it sits on Puget Sound and not the Pacific Ocean....

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
I would think Boston would be great. It is close to Cape Cod and other great beaches and vaction destinations. Plus it has the famous seafood that goes along with its coastal location.

Rich culture-Diffinetly has that
Mass transit-It is probably top 5 in nation
Strong medical community-Sure it is great/plus many affiliates with the universities
Strong nonprofit community-Probably has good amount.
Diverse population-The actual city is very diverse. Of course people make fun of the city for being very white which really is not true.
Vibrant restaurant scene-I am sure it is great

Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 AM

Not a cost factor at all. Slyman, I'm touched lol. I'm just glad that she's starting to tell people that the move is imminent. Now, the planning can take place. She's lived in Seattle and loves the area. I've never been. We both love SF. She loves SD; I just like it. LA is tricky. I would choose it over SD (I think). I believe that Boston would be ideal for our respective careers. We are surgeons and non profit execs respectively. SF is right there career wise.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
My vote was for Seattle Boston is great too though!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Not a cost factor at all. Slyman, I'm touched lol. I'm just glad that she's starting to tell people that the move is imminent. Now, the planning can take place. She's lived in Seattle and loves the area. I've never been. We both love SF. She loves SD; I just like it. LA is tricky. I would choose it over SD (I think). I believe that Boston would be ideal for our respective careers. We are surgeons and non profit execs respectively. SF is right there career wise.
Your two front runners are Boston and San Francisco, with all things considered try San Francisco if cost is not a factor. You mentioned living in the south, Chicago, Denver, and New York. West coast will be a new experience for you altogether.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 AM

I've never lived on the West Coast. I like the vibe out there (in the city parts that is). I have a good friend that lives in Rockridge (Oakland), another that lives in Pacific Heights and one more in Antioch (East Bay). We would definitely do the Mission, SOMA or Noe Valley. In Boston, we would do North End, Back Bay or South End. If I'm in LA, I'm staying in Marina del Ray. The only thing I think will make the difference between SF and Boston is mass transit and travel by car to other places. Denver has such poor mass transit (in terms of light/heavy rail) that its placed a heavy emphasis in that area. Also, being in Denver, there are no other metros we can drive too. In LA: we could drive to SD, valley cities and the Bay Area. In SF, we could drove to LA, the Bay, Tahoe and Portland if we pushed it. In Boston, we could go to NY, Philly, Providence, Baltimore and Montreal. Over the next 365 days, this will be closely watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City