Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
That is what is known as a preface. But you left out the part which stated

On some levels, Louisiana is sometimes grouped in with these states

This expresses the recognition that there are levels of grouping. Then the statement is made

go with your gut

This indicates that the OP is allowing the responder the freedom to go with what they believe. The OP isn't even requiring that the data be anything SCIENTIFIC, giving leeway to even just go with how one personally feels, aka one's "gut." This clearly gives the responders the leeway to not only talk about various levels of grouping, but to go with scientific data, historical data, or just one's gut, as the responder chooses. You don't like the levels that I presented, too bad. It fits within the framework of the acknowledgement of different levels and the permission to go with the gut. Louisiana CAN be grouped with Mississippi and Alabama, and I and others have given aspects which prove it. We went with our gut as to what evidence to present, and it was both relevant to the topic and conclusive in regards to groupability. You don't like it, and I can live with that. The three can be grouped together nonetheless,as the evidence says so.
I definitely do believe the states can be grouped but not when referring to culture (which is what I believe this thread is about) and some other things. I just had a problem with some of your "similarities" because they either were false, assumptions with nothing to back them up, or were just plain useless and arbitrary comparisons. But hey, maybe that is just my "gut" reaction. But at the end of the day any state can be grouped with any other state when looking at certain similarities.

P.S. I will call it an introduction if I want and if you don’t like it, too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
In terms of the actual cities, SC reminds me more of GA, ex-Atlanta than any other state. Augusta, Macon, Athens, Savannah feel a lot like Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston. Hilton Head Island is a lot like St. Simons Island/Jeckyll Island.
I can get with this. I've said elsewhere that the city that feels most like Columbia is Augusta and for Charleston, it's Savannah. The Upstate doesn't really have a true peer in Georgia though. As for Florence....Macon maybe? But the Pee Dee area has a closer kinship with the Fayetteville/Laurinburg/Lumberton area of NC.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I just had a problem with some of your "similarities" because they either were false,
None of the similarities I presented were false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can get with this. I've said elsewhere that the city that feels most like Columbia is Augusta and for Charleston, it's Savannah. The Upstate doesn't really have a true peer in Georgia though. As for Florence....Macon maybe? But the Pee Dee area has a closer kinship with the Fayetteville/Laurinburg/Lumberton area of NC.
I agree. One additional interesting similarity is how both GA and SC have a northern border city that rests against a (relatively) large metro area in the adjoining state. The Fort Mill, SC area is just outside of Charlotte, and the Fort Oglethorpe, GA area is just outside of Chattanooga, TN.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
None of the similarities I presented were false.
I have already showed you the things that were false. The state is not largely rural and in fact is much more urban than MS and AL. New Orleans is not the epicenter of Cajun culture. Then the "overwheming bulk" of tourism is likely not in South Louisiana (maybe not even in South Mississippi) and you actually rephrased your statement as "approx half". There might have been some other stuff too but I dont remember. I presented sources that showed you were wrong. Then some of your other "similarities" were piontless and arbitrary but that is just me "gut" feeling, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-31-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I have already showed you the things that were false. The state is not largely rural and in fact is much more urban than MS and AL.
More urban THAN MS and AL, yes. But in comparison to the rest of the states in the vicinity, those 3 have less urban and suburban development (ie the cities therein tend to run relatively small or the larger city is limited to one). TN has much more than one, GA has Atlanta which is really a beast of urban and suburban development- it could probably be 2 Birminghams or 2 New Orleanses all by itself. SC has 3 cities of significant size. Of course FL does and NC does. But those 3 tend to run more rural than the others.

But OF COURSE when grouping the 3, one may tend to run ahead of the other two- just like with the scholastic underachievement, LA and AL were plain awful, on the bottom of the nation, while MS was the worst of the 3, worst in the nation bar none. But the 3 still belonged grouped together by that factor and others. The factors are true.

Quote:
New Orleans is not the epicenter of Cajun culture.
I already dealt with this. I said NO is how the REST of America has heard about cajun culture, as NO and the food in that region have been marketed to the rest of the nation. Lafayette, etc. not so much so. So no, I wasn't saying NO was the epicenter of cajun people. What I WAS saying about the marketing to the rest of the nation is indeed TRUE.

Quote:
Then the "overwheming bulk" of tourism is likely not in South Louisiana (maybe not even in South Mississippi) and you actually rephrased your statement as "approx half".
That's the overwhelming bulk. There is no single other place of comparable square miles that has that level of tourism. Put another way, the southern part of each state beats the pants off the rest of the state in tourism dollars per square mile. Different ways of saying the same thing. The tourism aspect is true. The SEC aspect is true. The cajun cottage aspect is true. The lack of interstate loops aspect is true. The scholastic underachievement aspect is true. The 3 states can be grouped together in various ways, using various aspects. It's not false.

Last edited by MantaRay; 05-31-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
More urban THAN MS and AL, yes. But in comparison to the rest of the states in the vicinity, those 3 have less urban and suburban development (ie the cities therein tend to run relatively small or the larger city is limited to one). TN has much more than one, GA has Atlanta which is really a beast of urban and suburban development- it could probably be 2 Birminghams or 2 New Orleanses all by itself. SC has 3 cities of significant size. Of course FL does and NC does. But those 3 tend to run more rural than the others.
Are we really going to go through all of this again. 72.6% of Louisiana's population is an urban areas. 71.6% of Georgia. Mississippi 49%. Alabama 55.4% South Carolina 60.5%. Tennessee 63.6% (all 2000 census, so yes it has probably changed since then). Also Louisiana has a major city. Louisiana has a 1.2 million, 800,000, 560,000, and 550,000 metropolitan areas, and there are others. This compares very well with South Carolina, if not exceeds, right?

Quote:
But OF COURSE when grouping the 3, one may tend to run ahead of the other two- just like with the scholastic underachievement, LA and AL were plain awful, on the bottom of the nation, while MS was the worst of the 3, worst in the nation bar none. But the 3 still belonged grouped together by that factor and others. The factors are true.
Louisiana actually far exceeds the other two states when looking at urban populations. I have also said that the percent of college graduates in these three states compares very well with states like Ohio and Indiana. But of course there are other factors for "scholastic achievement".

Quote:
I already dealt with this. I said NO is how the REST of America has heard about cajun culture, as NO and the food in that region have been marketed to the rest of the nation. Lafayette, etc. not so much so. So no, I wasn't saying NO was the epicenter of cajun people. What I WAS saying about the marketing to the rest of the nation is indeed TRUE.
Anyways that is still false. New Orleans is not the epicenter and through easy research or really even observing this would have been found out. You wrongly believed this and wrote it wrong in your post and I had to correct you. But yes you did correct your self when I told you but Gosh you could at least thank me or something.

Quote:
That's the overwhelming bulk. There is no single other place of comparable square miles that has that level of tourism. Put another way, the southern part of each state beats the pants off the rest of the state in tourism dollars per square mile. Different ways of saying the same thing. The tourism aspect is true. The SEC aspect is true. The cajun cottage aspect is true. The lack of interstate loops aspect is true. The scholastic underachievement aspect is true. The 3 states can be grouped together in various ways, using various aspects. It's not false.
You are so funny. You said "approx half" (aka 50%). The North would have that comparable amount since you yourself said "approx half" (aka both hover near to 50%). Tourism aspect is likely false, SEC piont is stupid and most SEC states are just the same as these states but I guess it is true, I have no idea what "the Cajun cottage aspect" is?, three of Louisiana's cities have loops (by a mixture of my definition and yours) but that is still a stupid point, and yes I will say they do under perform with education but education is overrated (just joking). It is quite obvious that these states can be grouped. They are neighboring Southern states. I hope you do not think you are some master genuis because you found ways to group them becuase it was quite obvious from the beggining that these states could be grouped when looking at certian aspects. I have been debating with you because some of your "similarities" were either stupid, assumptions, or false (still my "gut" feeling). The culture aspect (which is what I think this thread is truely about) and some other things is what really can seperate them.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-31-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Are we really going to go through all of this again.
Apparently so because you seem focused on population whereas I'm talking about the extent to which a state has square miles of developed urban and suburban areas versus square miles of rural area. Notice when I said Atlanta's urban and suburban development probably equals 2 New Orleans? THAT'S TALKING ABOUT LAND AREA. These 3 states have significantly LOW land area for urban and suburban development versus other states around them. And you can tell by the lack of interstate loops. As urban and suburban square mileage expands, we tend to find interstate loops in those cities. There is a distinct lack in these 3 states because there is a distinct lack in urban/suburban development as compared to other states around them. That is a commonality.

Quote:
Anyways that is still false. New Orleans is not the epicenter
Why such a hard time with the English language? I just SAID that I wasn't saying that New Orleans was the epicenter for cajun people. I SAID, and it is true, that the whole notion of cajun is marketed to the rest of America via New Orleans, as opposed to via Lafayette. More non-Louisianans have heard of cajun because they have seen programs about New Orleans where cajun was brought up than because they know about Lafayette.

Quote:
You are so funny. You said "approx half" (aka 50%). The North would have that comparable amount since you yourself said "approx half" (aka both hover near to 50%).
Again, there seems to be an inability to comprehend here. Tourism dollars per square mile. If you cut the states in half, the coastal area is STILL a small square mile component of the southern half. The tourism dollars per square mile HIGHLY favors the coastal areas of each state. This area does by far better than any other area one can pick out of similar square mileage. If one makes the lop-sided comparison of the WHOLE nothern part of the state to the teeny tiny coastal square miles, then one misses the point. It's like if 4 city blocks generated as much revenue as the remaining 40 city blocks. It could be said that those 4 city blocks pull more weight per block than the other 40. Same concept. But I don't know why I bother, it's not as if I should expect this concept to be understood based on your previous posts.

Quote:
Tourism aspect is likely false, SEC piont is stupid
LOL. This from somebody who can't understand the difference between % of people in urban areas and square mileage of urban/suburban compared to rural. Coastal tourism similarity is true, the SEC point is a bonafide similarity, the creole cottage and history is a similarity, the lack of interstate loops is a similarity, and the bottom of the barrel, most pitiful in the nation scholastic underachievement in math and science is a similarity. The US is already 25th among developed nations in math and science testing. AL, LA, and MS students scrape the bottom of that already woefully underperforming barrel. If you want stupid, THAT'S where you can find it. By the way, did you happen to grow up in Louisiana?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Apparently so because you seem focused on population whereas I'm talking about the extent to which a state has square miles of developed urban and suburban areas versus square miles of rural area. Notice when I said Atlanta's urban and suburban development probably equals 2 New Orleans? THAT'S TALKING ABOUT LAND AREA. These 3 states have significantly LOW land area for urban and suburban development versus other states around them. And you can tell by the lack of interstate loops. As urban and suburban square mileage expands, we tend to find interstate loops in those cities. There is a distinct lack in these 3 states because there is a distinct lack in urban/suburban development as compared to other states around them. That is a commonality.
The percent of people living in urban areas is very high in Louisiana but obviously Atlanta would take up a larger area becuase it has a larger population than certain Louisiana metros. Also like I said Louisiana has three cities with loops.
Google Image Result for http://www.zipcodemaps.com/images/category/metro/ga.gif

Google Image Result for http://www.zipcodemaps.com/images/category/metro/la.gif
These maps compare Georgia and Louisiana metropolitan areas and they seem to compare very well, right?

Quote:
Why such a hard time with the English language? I just SAID that I wasn't saying that New Orleans was the epicenter for cajun people. I SAID, and it is true, that the whole notion of cajun is marketed to the rest of America via New Orleans, as opposed to via Lafayette. More non-Louisianans have heard of cajun because they have seen programs about New Orleans where cajun was brought up than because they know about Lafayette.
Yes and they/you are all incorrect. You believed it was the epicenter and then I corrected you and now you have the correct knowledge.

Quote:
Again, there seems to be an inability to comprehend here. Tourism dollars per square mile. If you cut the states in half, the coastal area is STILL a small square mile component of the southern half. The tourism dollars per square mile HIGHLY favors the coastal areas of each state. This area does by far better than any other area one can pick out of similar square mileage. If one makes the lop-sided comparison of the WHOLE nothern part of the state to the teeny tiny coastal square miles, then one misses the point. It's like if 4 city blocks generated as much revenue as the remaining 40 city blocks. It could be said that those 4 city blocks pull more weight per block than the other 40. Same concept. But I don't know why I bother, it's not as if I should expect this concept to be understood based on your previous posts.
Now this is the first time you have introduced this idea. At first you were saying Southern half of the state now you are just saying the coastal part. You are now doing a dollars per square mile type thing which you never said before. But again Louisiana's tourism has nothing to do with the coast and is actually located kind of far from the coast, then like you have said youself the tourism is split evenly between north and south but like all states there will be places where tourism is heavley lcoated like certain cities. Your idea is not different then Atlanta getting 50% of Georgia's tourism (maybe is not true) which would be an even greater dollars per square mile than Louisiana.

Quote:
LOL. This from somebody who can't understand the difference between % of people in urban areas and square mileage of urban/suburban compared to rural. Coastal tourism similarity is true, the SEC point is a bonafide similarity, the creole cottage and history is a similarity, the lack of interstate loops is a similarity, and the bottom of the barrel, most pitiful in the nation scholastic underachievement in math and science is a similarity. The US is already 25th among developed nations in math and science testing. AL, LA, and MS students scrape the bottom of that already woefully underperforming barrel. If you want stupid, THAT'S where you can find it. By the way, did you happen to grow up in Louisiana?
Wow, I am really feeling the hate you have for these states. First off by those maps I posted the rural thing is still false. Louisiana's tourism has nothing to do with the coast and you are trying to get to specific and changing your story to prove that you are some how right. SEC thing is still stupid and most SEC states have that similarity but Bonafide you sound like that lady from the Popeyes comercials. Only extreme Southern MS and AL have creole cottages (LOL you called them Cajun cottages where is your supposed education LOL) and similar history. The tiny amount of creole cottages they have can barely compare to New Orleans alone and that similar history ended over 200 year ago unless you are talking about general Southern history which of course they would share. But again that is a Gulf coast thing it is not something that binds the whole states together. Again three of Louisiana's cities have loops. Bring up the education stattistics I doubt it is that big of a difference from some other states. If you want smart that is where you will also find it. You youself are beggining to sound quite stupid, trying to act like these three states are where all the stupid people are and smart people dont exist. Gosh I hope you did not turn retarded after living in Alabama and being around all those stupid people.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth88 View Post
People tend to think of Mississippi and Alabama as the most backwards, redneck states in the country. On some levels, Louisiana is sometimes grouped in with these states, together marking the three true "deep South" states in the country (since Georgia has been taken over by Atlanta and is progressing quickly with loads of transplants). Other people tend to think of Louisiana as "it's own country," or as something of an anomaly in the South, not fitting in with "traditional" Southern culture.

I don't want anyone to think too much or to over-analyze this question; go with your gut. Do you consider Louisiana to belong to the same group as Mississippi and Alabama?
No way...Louisiana, well Soth Louisiana natives dont have typical Souther accents even. New Orlenas people dont sound like anyone else but maybe the Cajuns in Southeaster Louisiana. And the blacks in New Orleans whom families have been there for ever have a Creole background. Louisiana should never be grouped in the same bucket. Neither can Florida, though Floridians have that deep souther accent. But a lot of their residents, especially South Florida have Island roots, Haitian, and of course Latino. But the only really southern people in Louisiana have roots from the states that are trying to be compared to Louisiana. I can see where people get the idea that all are the same because you find people from Alabama, Mississippi and other Southern states that actually moved to Louisiana in Norther Louisiana.

But personally, I dont think the shoe fits.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
The percent of people living in urban areas is very high in Louisiana but obviously Atlanta would take up a larger area becuase it has a larger population than certain Louisiana metros.
THAT'S MY POINT. The urban and suburban square miles are lower for LA, MS, and AL as compared with states like GA, FL, TX. Less urban/suburban space = more rural space.

Quote:
These maps compare Georgia and Louisiana metropolitan areas and they seem to compare very well, right?
No. Those maps make LA look as "tall" as GA, and anybody looking at a US map can see that's clearly not the case. It's sorta like LA is a "blown up version" if the GA map is standard size, or GA is a shrunken version if the LA map is standard size.

Quote:
Yes and they/you are all incorrect. You believed it was the epicenter and then I corrected you and now you have the correct knowledge.
You don't determine what I believe- I do. You can't speak for what I believe, because you'll just end up dead wrong like you are now. I never believed cajun people were centered in NO. Like I said, NO is responsible for the marketing to the rest of the nation, and that is absolutely correct.

Quote:
Now this is the first time you have introduced this idea. At first you were saying Southern half of the state now you are just saying the coastal part.
I NEVER said anything about Southern half. I was ALWAYS speaking about the coast. You're really mixed up there.

Quote:
Wow, I am really feeling the hate you have for these states.
Not surprising. You've been way off about all that other stuff, so why not this too! lol This seems like the sort of thing that would come out of a state that is scraping the bottom of the barrel scholastically, a trait LA, MS, and AL share. America's bottom of the barrel students. Maybe so many around the rest of the nation sees these 3 states as backwards (like the OP said) because the citizens are so woefully lacking in intellectual prowess with the official numbers proving so over and over and over and over again. Want to talk epicenters all the time? MS is the epicenter for intellectual inability and LA and AL are right there with it. Backwards may not be that far off the mark. Now try to explain those results away like you try with the other items. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City