Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sigh ...

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News

Georgia is the ONLY Southern state that has TWO public universities ranking among the 20 in the nation, indeed it's the ONLY state other than CALIFORNIA that has two public universities ranking among the top 20 in the nation. When you factor in the private schools like Emory and SCAD and the HBCU cluster in Atlanta, Georgia is at least equal to North Carolina. And that reflects CULTURE! Georgia's K-12 education system has also been ranked as high as No. 7 nationally, and teacher salaries in Georgia are the highest in the South, on par with Virginia. Don't get me started on where K-12 education ranks in Alabama and South Carolina.

These are CULTURAL things far more impactful on a state's overall well-being and future than things as trivial as some lone redneck flying a Confederate flag along a highway (which is his prerogative, BTW).
It isn't a lone flag, it is on every interstate in the state. Georgia does nothing to take it down. I'm sure if they felt strongly enough about it they could enact some law about being too close to interstate travel or something, but seeing confederate flags in Georgia is pretty common and they sell them on the sides of streets and at flea markets. it isn't a big deal. Young students in Athens drive around with confederate flags on their trucks as well. And if you go to the shops in Savannah, they sell plenty of confederate flag, "yankee go home" and minstrel type paraphanelia with AA's eating watermelon or churning butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sigh ...

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News

Georgia and Virginia are the ONLY Southern state that have TWO public universities ranking among the 20 in the nation, indeed they are the ONLY states other than CALIFORNIA that has more than one public university ranking among the top 20 in the nation. When you factor in the private schools like Emory and SCAD and the HBCU cluster in Atlanta, Georgia is at least equal to North Carolina. And that reflects CULTURE! Georgia's K-12 education system has also been ranked as high as No. 7 nationally, and teacher salaries in Georgia are the highest in the South, on par with Virginia. Don't get me started on where K-12 education ranks in Alabama and South Carolina.

These are CULTURAL things far more impactful on a state's overall well-being and future than things as trivial as some lone redneck flying a Confederate flag along a highway (which is his prerogative, BTW).
Um, no. Duke is hands down a better school than Emory. And UNC-Chapel Hill is hands down a better school than UGA. If Duke is beating out Tufts, Northwestern, Georgetown, Berkeley, UCLA and UVA for cross-admits, then we can surely believe it's beating the hell out of Emory. Emory is a good but not great school. Then NC has Wake Forest, NC State, Davidson, etc. in addition to the aformentioned schools. So no, I don't think GA is even close to being NC's equal in this regard.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It isn't a lone flag, it is on every interstate in the state. Georgia does nothing to take it down. I'm sure if they felt strongly enough about it they could enact some law about being too close to interstate travel or something, but seeing confederate flags in Georgia is pretty common and they sell them on the sides of streets and at flea markets. it isn't a big deal. Young students in Athens drive around with confederate flags on their trucks as well. And if you go to the shops in Savannah, they sell plenty of confederate flag, "yankee go home" and minstrel type paraphanelia with AA's eating watermelon or churning butter.
This post is so ridiculous it does not deserve a dignified response.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Here's progressive for you.

Students hold Georgia school's 1st racially integrated prom - U.S. News

The black people in that town might not even know they're free.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's progressive for you.

Students hold Georgia school's 1st racially integrated prom - U.S. News

The black people in that town might not even know they're free.
Two can play at this game:

Racist Black man brutally beat up White man on New York bus - YouTube

Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Another interesting thing about the roads, there are large confederate flags on I-75, I-85, I-95, and I-16 in Georgia. Anywhere you go in the state you will be aware of this. In particular, there is a giant 30x50' and 120 feet high one on I-75, sure to be seen by everybody heading down to Florida to go to Disney.
Liar.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:37 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Liar.
Umm... I guess pictures speak louder than words. Maybe you should learn more about your own state instead of the liberal bubble of Decatur or accusing people of leaving you comments. Basically every time you post you are incredibly wrong.

Huge Confederate Navy Jack Flying - YouTube
Posted by goodoleboy ga
Published on Sep 11, 2012
Saw this huge Confederate Navy Jack flying just off I-75 north of Tifton, GA. Nice to see since they're trying to ban all Southern Symbols.

"A growing number of Confederate battle flags - and ’56 Georgia state flags bearing the battle flag emblem – are going up along Georgia’s highways and interstates thanks to the efforts of the Georgia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Although it is part of the organization’s efforts to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the War Between the States, the Georgia Division plans to continue the project well after the end of the Sesquicentennial in 2015. Division Commander Jack Bridwell had this to say, “Georgians, by and large, are proud of their Confederate history and heritage and do not view the flag as a symbol of hate. This is a pro-active way to educate, and it encourages our young people to be proud of their heritage in a positive way. We envision the ‘Flags over Georgia’ project growing until there are Confederate flags proudly displayed along major corridors in every town and county of Georgia.”
Already, the Sons have erected huge flags on I-75, I-85, I-95, and I-16, as well as along a number of major highways throughout the state. The largest flag in the project to date is a Confederate battle flag on I-75 strategically placed just north of Tifton which measures 30′ x 50′ and waves atop a tall 120′ flagpole, easily seen by the millions who travel Georgia’s main interstate back and forth to Florida."

As for Newsboy, he can't even see stuff in his own town. There are plenty of places in Savannah peddling confederate and old south minstrel stuff right on the main tourist drags, in numerous shops. Similar shops are also around Atlanta in tourist towns like Dahlonega. And no, these are not "old originals", these are new productions and lithographs meant to make profit. The people who produce and peddle this stuff just keep it going and proudly put it up on the walls in their kitchen. Your pride for your state blinds you tremendously, and what you see as normal people from the rest of the country and world find shocking.

But you know, maybe that video is just CGI, and maybe the millions of people driving by it don't notice it.

Last edited by grapico; 10-18-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Umm... I guess pictures speak louder than words. Maybe you should learn more about your own state instead of the liberal bubble of Decatur or accusing people of leaving you comments. Basically every time you post you are incredibly wrong.
I feel like a lot of C-D posters must stay confined to liberal bubbles. Then they take their experience of farmer's markets, openly gay relationships and interracial marriages and extrapolate that over the entire region or state.

If you live in Georgia and don't know that it's a deeply conservative state, then you're just a moron.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
How many people have actually spent time in the major cities of Georgia besides Atlanta recently?

I'm not talking about riding through, but actually visited over several days/weeks...

The population of Tift County, Georgia is under 50k people.

Just look at the number of pride festivals/parades in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta....

Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I feel like a lot of C-D posters must stay confined to liberal bubbles. Then they take their experience of farmer's markets, openly gay relationships and interracial marriages and extrapolate that over the entire region or state.

If you live in Georgia and don't know that it's a deeply conservative state, then you're just a moron.
Keep believing that...and please stay away. I have this thing about ignorance. It just smells like dog crap to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City