Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:05 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,642,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
LaJolla. It's a joy to be outside. Coral Gables is muggy and sticky and can often be miserable being outside. LaJolla also to me seems FAR nicer to walk around and bike around than Coral Gables. Same theme- enjoyment of the outdoors is almost automatic. Outside with a smile is better than outside with a frown.
you exaggerate miami's weather. 80s with a breeze really ain't bad unless you're in a full suit running a marathon. And there is plenty to criticize about la jolla's weather like the cold nights (especially up on the cliff and interior valley, i just call it the torrey pines/ucsd campus/shopping area) and the many cloudy days in may/june and sometimes into july
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,951,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
you exaggerate miami's weather. 80s with a breeze really ain't bad unless you're in a full suit running a marathon.
90 with thick, muggy, humid air is bad, and does make being outside uncomfortable, at least I found it to be so, and I've heard many people say the same thing. I most certainly do not exaggerate that point, it is entirely true.

Quote:
And there is plenty to criticize about la jolla's weather like the cold nights (especially up on the cliff and interior valley, i just call it the torrey pines/ucsd campus/shopping area) and the many cloudy days in may/june and sometimes into july
I can keep a sweatshirt in my car and put it on and take it off as needs be and be comfortable in LaJolla. There's nothing I can do in the hot muggy Coral Gables sun except get out of it and inside to some serious AC. But at the time I was on vacation, so I just had to deal with it. On vacation in LaJolla it wasn't such an obstacle to deal with just being outside. And again it struck me as the kind of place where I would feel much better walking and biking the area than Coral Gables struck me as. In Coral Gables, I felt more likely to either get hit by a car or get jacked if I did too much walking and biking through the area.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I can keep a sweatshirt in my car and put it on and take it off as needs be and be comfortable in LaJolla. There's nothing I can do in the hot muggy Coral Gables sun except get out of it and inside to some serious AC. But at the time I was on vacation, so I just had to deal with it. On vacation in LaJolla it wasn't such an obstacle to deal with just being outside.
you can wear light clothing and flip flops. I spent a lot of time in miami beach and lived in puerto rico and never used ac. In puerto rico most people i knew didn't use ac (because they were poor) and no one complained about the heat in fact some people complained about the cold if it dropped into the 60s at night.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
you can wear light clothing and flip flops.
Had on light clothes and sandals. The sun was still oppressive, and the air was still thick to breathe. And I still felt like walking and biking the Coral Gables area would be more likely to get me hit by a car or jacked. Visit The Village at Merrick Park (absolutely fabulous shopping venue) and go down the street to explore the area and one quickly gets the urge to turn around and go the other way in a hurry. Overall it was simply a more uncomfortable feeling just being outside in Coral Gables versus in LaJolla, even with light clothing and sandals on. And I've heard other people express the same sentiment, so I'm confident it wasn't just me.

Last edited by MantaRay; 05-26-2012 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Are they really comparable?

Coral Gables is a small tropical Florida City with substantial minority population.

La Jolla is a super rich neighborhood of San Diego.

Housing cost differ by a factor of 4.

Annual incomes are also vastly different.

Pacific ocean water is never as pleasant as Florida...but for things like sail boating or surfing it is a much nicer coast.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Had on light clothes and sandals. The sun was still oppressive, and the air was still thick to breathe. And I still felt like walking and biking the Coral Gables area would be more likely to get me hit by a car or jacked. Visit The Village at Merrick Park (absolutely fabulous shopping venue) and go down the street to explore the area and one quickly gets the urge to turn around and go the other way in a hurry. Overall it was simply a more uncomfortable feeling just being outside in Coral Gables versus in LaJolla, even with light clothing and sandals on. And I've heard other people express the same sentiment, so I'm confident it wasn't just me.
i'm sure people complain. people complain everywhere about the weather. summer's are probably the most uncomfortable portion of miami's weather so people will complain about them (especially if they have to be in business attire) but that doesn't make it out to be hell. You can still enjoy the outdoors in mia if you dress for it.

if you're fair skinned then yeah the sun will hurt. I'm not so I find the sun kinda a pleasant mood lifter. I don't understand about the air being too thick to breathe. Coastal california is plenty humid, probably just as much as florida (the air off the pacific gets sucked inland which is why coastal cali stays so cool). It's less hot, but humidity and heat are two different things.

in the end of your day your body temp is 98. If it cools to 90 you'd be in trouble. So if you got nothing to trap the heat (like clothes) 90s shouldn't feel hot unless you're directly under the sun.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
summer's are probably the most uncomfortable portion of miami's weather so people will complain about them (especially if they have to be in business attire) but that doesn't make it out to be hell.
I never said anything about anywhere being hell. I said Coral Gables is much more uncomfortable exploring outside than LaJolla from the oppressive heat and humidity to the feeling on the street if one were to walk or bike the area. It made the outdoor enjoyment of my vacation more problematic and not as automatic, particularly in comparison to LaJolla, but my SoFL vacation wasn't "hell" just because of that.

Quote:
I don't understand about the air being too thick to breathe. Coastal california is plenty humid, probably just as much as florida
Actually not. Average monthly and annual rainfall follow the same pattern as humidity- the higher the one, the higher the other. Coral Gables rainfall (approx 58 inches yearly avg) is significantly higher than LaJolla (approx 12 inches yearly avg), thus humidity is generally much higher as well. At the higher Coral Gables temperatures, this equates to the air being muggy and thick.

As a matter of fact, there is a HUGE phenomenon of people from the northeast having retired to South Florida and them moving to the Carolinas BECAUSE of the oppressiveness of the FL heat/humidity combination. The phenomenon has been called "halfback retirees" ie. moving to Florida and then halfway back. The oppressive mugginess of South Florida is a well know reality. LaJolla doesn't even come close to that level of heat/humidity discomfort. This is the reality, ie. not concocted.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:39 PM

419 posts, read 993,884 times
Check out what this person had to say on another thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/4385208-post24.html

Quote:
We just moved FROM San Diego back to CGables so I think I have a pretty unique perspective. I'll try and give you more points on SD as I think you're more familiar with Miami.

SD is quiet, nice ... honestly a very pleasant place.
Three cons to add/amend, much more expensive than Miami (add state income taxes at 8%) and the yearly fires are WAY worse than the threat of hurricanes. (Getting hit on the head by a hurricane is another matter of course.) Also, if you're on the coast, SD is actually kind of chilly and grey (fog, oh sorry, marine layer) much of the time. We lived without AC for 6 years! Could be good or bad depending on your POV (my wife HATED it).
Crime, traffic, about the same. SD has more rapes and car thefts, Miami more petty theft. Traffic a little worse in SD but Miami drivers definitely worse.

We greatly enjoyed our 6 years in SD, met some really nice people and LOVED being able to be in amazing places in 4-9 hours of driving (Yosemite, desert, Monterey). If I could afford it, we would spend 2 months in the summer in SD and 8 months in Miami.

BUT, SD has no spice ... no character. Once you do the zoo, Gaslamp, Del Mar, it's pretty much the same old thing. For us, it got boring.
We enjoy the craziness and character of Miami. Going out to eat at 10 pm to a full restaurant (in SD everything is done by 9), parties where people actually let loose and have a good time vs sipping wine and complaining about their kids, hearing languages other than English, little stuff. We've been to more than a few parties were they didn't even play music??
Diversity too ... my daughter was in a very nice school in the North County of SD, like 6 Asian families, no Black and just a few Hispanic families. Kind of creepy when you're used to NYC and Miami. We're Jewish, families actually forbid their kids to play with my daughter - WTF! A lot of head in the sand ignorance. Very provincial too, "we're not like THOSE people in LA" and "WE like it this way" are 2 phrases that drove me nuts. Who are "we" and "they" anyway?? And try speaking Portugues to your daughter in SD ... people looked at us like we had 2 heads when we spoke a little Spanish to our kids.

Personally we wanted our kids to grow with a bit more spice, diversity and culture than SD has to offer. If our families were on the West Coast, we probably would be living in LA (much more our style), but everyone is in SoFla or NY so moving back to Miami was great for us. Personally, in 20 years (of and on) living in SoFla I've NEVER experienced anything like your experience in Aventura. My parents live there and I can assure you that my mother speaks 3 words of Spanish and gets by fine. I hear Spanish, French, Portugues and English everyday in CGables. If the English only/mostly thing bugs you then SoFla is NOT for you.

If you enjoy a nice, quiet, moderately interesting place where not much happens, you might love it in SD. A lot of people do. They proudly call it America's Biggest Small Town and it's a very good description. I'm not trying to be coy or cute, but honest. People really do love SD, not my wife and I. Few people HATE SD like some do in Miami, but the main complaints I had were the same for a lot of people we met.

You can PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Actually not. Average monthly and annual rainfall follow the same pattern as humidity- the higher the one, the higher the other. Coral Gables rainfall (approx 58 inches yearly avg) is significantly higher than LaJolla (approx 12 inches yearly avg), thus humidity is generally much higher as well. At the higher Coral Gables temperatures, this equates to the air being muggy and thick.
Not really. Coastal cali is about 70-80% humid especially at night. Sometimes the humidity leaves condensation all over your car and the ground, which the locals can call rain. It just doesn't rain on the coast, the moisture gets sucked inland around the mountains where the monsoon weather starts.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, there is a HUGE phenomenon of people from the northeast having retired to South Florida and them moving to the Carolinas BECAUSE of the oppressiveness of the FL heat/humidity combination. The phenomenon has been called "halfback retirees" ie. moving to Florida and then halfway back. The oppressive mugginess of South Florida is a well know reality. LaJolla doesn't even come close to that level of heat/humidity discomfort. This is the reality, ie. not concocted.
lol the majority of that is jobs and maybe hurricanes. Most people who move to florida know what they're getting just like the people who move to arizona.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Not really.
Yes really. Annual precipitation numbers are readily availble. It is scientific fact.

Quote:
Coastal cali is about 70-80% humid especially at night.
LaJolla is 65 degrees and 47% humidity right now. Coral Gables is 83 degrees and 67% humidity right now. The difference is scientific. High temperature + high humidity = a miserable outdoor experience for a great many people, even enough people to determine ex-migration on a large scale. Confirmed fact.

Quote:
lol the majority of that is jobs and maybe hurricanes.
LOL! Retirees move to Florida and then quickly move out and "halfway back" because of jobs. LOL! Even old episodes of Seinfeld had his SoFL retired parents complaining about the heat and humidity. Heck, I've seen MANY a post even on this site from people wanting to move out of SoFL because of the heat and humidity. May as well face it, the phenomenon is real and it makes plenty people miserable.

High heat, high humidity misery is a well known phenomenon, and Coral Gables is well known to have it. Like I said, temperature and precipitation data is readily available. It's scientific, ie. confirmed fact. And even right now it feels better outside in LaJolla than in Coral Gables. 67 degrees, 47% humidity that I can walk and bike around in comfortably vs. 83 degrees, 67% humidity worrying about walking and getting jacked or biking and getting crushed by a car. Hmmm, let's see. I'd easily choose LaJolla, it's not even a close decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City