Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 PM

419 posts, read 998,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
You cant discount the culture, diversity, energy, shopping, easy access to pro sports, and everything else in La Jolla. That's what La Jolla is known for. At least in California and neighboring western states.

Culture - SoCal culture, doesn't get much better than that
Diversity - Based of personal experience the area is relatively diverse - it's no San Francisco but you get my point
Energy - Great energy! This is entirely subjective.
Shopping - UTC, The Village, etc.
Pro Sports - Downtown San Diego is just around the corner where you can watch the Chargers and the Padres play.

It's not the same though San Diego Very white bread feel and small town feel and what culture? Surf Culture? No Thanks.. San Diego = Sleepy

MIA/Coral Gables area has a very international feel , more vibrant, easy access to everything MIA beach/Bahamas/Pro Sports, so much more. MIA = fun.

Read this

Quote:
We just moved FROM San Diego back to CGables so I think I have a pretty unique perspective. I'll try and give you more points on SD as I think you're more familiar with Miami.

SD is quiet, nice ... honestly a very pleasant place.
Three cons to add/amend, much more expensive than Miami (add state income taxes at 8%) and the yearly fires are WAY worse than the threat of hurricanes. (Getting hit on the head by a hurricane is another matter of course.) Also, if you're on the coast, SD is actually kind of chilly and grey (fog, oh sorry, marine layer) much of the time. We lived without AC for 6 years! Could be good or bad depending on your POV (my wife HATED it).
Crime, traffic, about the same. SD has more rapes and car thefts, Miami more petty theft. Traffic a little worse in SD but Miami drivers definitely worse.

We greatly enjoyed our 6 years in SD, met some really nice people and LOVED being able to be in amazing places in 4-9 hours of driving (Yosemite, desert, Monterey). If I could afford it, we would spend 2 months in the summer in SD and 8 months in Miami.

BUT, SD has no spice ... no character. Once you do the zoo, Gaslamp, Del Mar, it's pretty much the same old thing. For us, it got boring.
We enjoy the craziness and character of Miami. Going out to eat at 10 pm to a full restaurant (in SD everything is done by 9), parties where people actually let loose and have a good time vs sipping wine and complaining about their kids, hearing languages other than English, little stuff. We've been to more than a few parties were they didn't even play music??
Diversity too ... my daughter was in a very nice school in the North County of SD, like 6 Asian families, no Black and just a few Hispanic families. Kind of creepy when you're used to NYC and Miami. We're Jewish, families actually forbid their kids to play with my daughter - WTF! A lot of head in the sand ignorance. Very provincial too, "we're not like THOSE people in LA" and "WE like it this way" are 2 phrases that drove me nuts. Who are "we" and "they" anyway?? And try speaking Portugues to your daughter in SD ... people looked at us like we had 2 heads when we spoke a little Spanish to our kids.

Personally we wanted our kids to grow with a bit more spice, diversity and culture than SD has to offer. If our families were on the West Coast, we probably would be living in LA (much more our style), but everyone is in SoFla or NY so moving back to Miami was great for us. Personally, in 20 years (of and on) living in SoFla I've NEVER experienced anything like your experience in Aventura. My parents live there and I can assure you that my mother speaks 3 words of Spanish and gets by fine. I hear Spanish, French, Portugues and English everyday in CGables. If the English only/mostly thing bugs you then SoFla is NOT for you.

If you enjoy a nice, quiet, moderately interesting place where not much happens, you might love it in SD. A lot of people do. They proudly call it America's Biggest Small Town and it's a very good description. I'm not trying to be coy or cute, but honest. People really do love SD, not my wife and I. Few people HATE SD like some do in Miami, but the main complaints I had were the same for a lot of people we met.

//www.city-data.com/forum/4385208-post24.html
San Diego/ La Jolla is nice, in the sense of whether and scenary , but other than that it doesn't offer much for me.

I like cities for what they offer as a WHOLE , San Diego just doesn't match up vs MIA. You simply just dont get the amenities you find at MIA , you have to go to LA for all that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
La Jolla isn't really lacking in Culture
Last time I checked it is lacking in culture as well as diversity

Quote:
La Jolla is more relevant on the national stage and is more than just some tony beach community with nice weather and scenery.
It depends on what you mean by more relevant ? Location wise it is, but what sets it apart from Beverly Hills? BH is more upscale and close to the action! That's how CG is.

Beverly hills should be compared to places like Coral Gables (even than CG is still more cultural than BH), not La Jolla, two completely different vibes

Santa Barbara , Palos Verdes, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach are what I would compare La Jolla to, not Coral Gables.

While La Jolla is in fact a nice place, it is not in the same league as Coral Gables, or somewhere like Beverly Hills, it has Breath taking scenary, and weather, but that's where it

ends, dont expect WORLD class anything from there as you would Coral Gables. that's why more So Cal people would rather settle in LA or OC as opposed to SD.

Last edited by Surfside__; 06-18-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
It's not the same though San Diego Very white bread feel and small town feel and what culture? Surf Culture? No Thanks.. San Diego = Sleepy

MIA/Coral Gables area has a very international feel , more vibrant, easy access to everything MIA beach/Bahamas/Pro Sports, so much more. MIA = fun.

Read this

San Diego/ La Jolla is nice, in the sense of whether and scenary , but other than that it doesn't offer much for me.

I like cities for what they offer as a WHOLE , San Diego just doesn't match up vs MIA. You simply just dont get the amenities you find at MIA , you have to go to LA for all that
You're ridiculous. If you discount everything San Diego/La Jolla has then yes, it becomes "sleepy." Quite frankly San Diego does have an international, maritime feel. Especially in the Gaslamp Quarter when you hear people speaking in Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish, and various Asian languages. Diversity does not go hand in hand with culture so I would drop that line of argument. Quite frankly San Diego is known for it's culture. It has numerous educational institutions ranked higher than Miami, as La Jolla does over Coral Gables. La Jolla has better museums than Coral Gables and La Jolla is a stone's through from Tijuana and Ensenada, to very lively cities with reputable nightlife. While TJ is not comparable to Miami, it is gentrifying rapidly as new and modern high rises go up - kind of like Miami did a while ago . Ensenada, which is a few steps ahead of TJ is much nicer and emerging as a mini L.A./San Diego. So there is L.A. and then soon there will be two shiny cities just south of San Diego/La Jolla, both already very international in composition. That's more than Coral Gables has to offer at present or in the future.

So not only is La Jolla more cultural, but the nightlife and international quality you find so important is easily accessible both to the north and the south. La Jolla is in the center of it all. And in 20-30 years when Tijuana and Ensenada have grown with San Diego to form a massive international metropolitan region, I'm sure La Jolla will have more relevance than Coral Gables. I've also never heard Coral Gables mentioned in the same sentence as Beverly Hills.

Btw, Surf Culture is great.

Last edited by S.D. Calif; 06-18-2012 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
La Jolla is beautiful, has nice weather and scenary, but that's where it ends for me.

Culture, diversity, energy, shopping, easy access to pro sports, and everthing else = Coral Gables.
Not just nonsense...dreary nonsense.

Compared to the 5.5 million in Southern Florida You have the 22 million of Southern CA. And it is even a better quality of people with higher scores on every scale.

And sports teams?

It is really remarkable that anyone from Southern Florida really believes they can even get on the boards on such a competiton.

Must be chutzpah they brought with them from NY.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:

It depends on what you mean by more relevant ? Location wise it is, but what sets it apart from Beverly Hills? BH is more upscale and close to the action! That's how CG is.

Beverly hills should be compared to places like Coral Gables (even than CG is still more cultural than BH), not La Jolla, two completely different vibes

Santa Barbara , Palos Verdes, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach are what I would compare La Jolla to, not Coral Gables.

While La Jolla is in fact a nice place, it is not in the same league as Coral Gables, or somewhere like Beverly Hills, it has Breath taking scenary, and weather, but that's where it

ends, dont expect WORLD class anything from there as you would Coral Gables. that's why more So Cal people would rather settle in LA or OC as opposed to SD.
You realize of course that outside of southern Florida virtually no one is even aware that Coral Gables exists? It is a local locality with no legs.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
In what way is it lacking in culture? If you don't like the culture of the area that's fine but it doesn't mean it's lacking. A lot of people prefer to feel like they are living in the US, not Latin America but to each their own and I understand the appeal of Miami's culture.

Also I already stated CG was more diverse so I'm not sure why you bothered to repeat that. But saying CG is more "diverse" than LJ isn't saying much, 50% White and 50% Hispanic doesn't exactly scream "diverse" to me.
Quote:
I already explained what I meant by more relevant with it's academic/research institutions and bio-tech companies.

Quote:
"More cultural"? In what way?

Quote:

While La Jolla is in fact a nice place, it is not in the same league as Coral Gables, or somewhere like Beverly Hills, it has Breath taking scenary, and weather, but that's where it ends, dont expect WORLD class anything from there as you would Coral Gables. that's why more So Cal people would rather settle in LA or OC as opposed to SD.
Well for starters you have a World Class university that ranks one of the best in the nation and world, better than UM and something BH can't claim. A PGA caliber golf course, something CG doesn't have. That's fine if you prefer CG but it's pretty ridiculous to try to claim La Jolla isn't comparable.

You should really brush up on some CA history if you want to know why more people live in the LA/OC area. Start with the railroads and ports and work your way from there.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
In what way is it lacking in culture? If you don't like the culture of the area that's fine but it doesn't mean it's lacking. A lot of people prefer to feel like they are living in the US, not Latin America but to each their own and I understand the appeal of Miami's culture.

Also I already stated CG was more diverse so I'm not sure why you bothered to repeat that. But saying CG is more "diverse" than LJ isn't saying much, 50% White and 50% Hispanic doesn't exactly scream "diverse" to me.
I already explained what I meant by more relevant with it's academic/research institutions and bio-tech companies.

"More cultural"? In what way?

Well for starters you have a World Class university that ranks one of the best in the nation and world, better than UM and something BH can't claim. A PGA caliber golf course, something CG doesn't have. That's fine if you prefer CG but it's pretty ridiculous to try to claim La Jolla isn't comparable.

You should really brush up on some CA history if you want to know why more people live in the LA/OC area. Start with the railroads and ports and work your way from there.
Not only that, but some people actually prefer San Diego over L.A., the OC, and the IE. People in Southern California don't just turn their backs on San Diego.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM

You San Diego people hype San Diego up so much money than it really is, you really make me laugh. All you guys have is nice scenary and weather, that's it.

If you are looking for a place that adds more of a entire package than you will definitely not find it in SD, but rather OC/LA , or CG

San Diego = Sleepy Suburban continuation of OC

San Diego = Extremely white bread feel - BORING

San Diego = Midwest city on a beach.

Coral Gables not only is actually tropical, but offers everything much much more higher quality than San Diego could imagine.

San Diego is for the beach bums, and the military, their is a reason why they call it "Man Diego" instead.

San Diego leaves you wanting more, if I wanted So Cal I'd pick OC/LA/Santa Barbara long before I ever picked San Diego.

La Jolla you simply do not get the same amount of Amenities as Coral Gables , and you are simply not as close to the action as CG is.

So what MIA feels more international, how is that a bad thing? San diego is far too white bread and uninteresting.

Coral Gables = Better Food, Better Culture, More Energy, Better Shopping, and who wants to go to UCSD? BORING!!

SDSU close but still not on the same level as Univ of Miami.

To keep it simple: if you are interested in being a beach bum, a surfer, or are a retiree or a someone from the military , and wanting a midwest city feel with a beach than YES SD is for you.

If you want a place where the energy is vibrant, the feel is exotic and international, and shopping is world class, a place that is CLOSE to all the action, you will choose CG.

If you want to raise your kids in a place where people of all different backgrounds are welcome, and celebrated, than CG is the choice for you.

Other than that, if you really want the best out of So CAL it's not going to be in SD, you will have to go to OC or LA for that.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You San Diego people hype San Diego up so much money than it really is, you really make me laugh. All you guys have is nice scenary and weather, that's it.

If you are looking for a place that adds more of a entire package than you will definitely not find it in SD, but rather OC/LA , or CG

San Diego = Sleepy Suburban continuation of OC

San Diego = Extremely white bread feel - BORING

San Diego = Midwest city on a beach.

Coral Gables not only is actually tropical, but offers everything much much more higher quality than San Diego could imagine.

San Diego is for the beach bums, and the military, their is a reason why they call it "Man Diego" instead.

San Diego leaves you wanting more, if I wanted So Cal I'd pick OC/LA/Santa Barbara long before I ever picked San Diego.

La Jolla you simply do not get the same amount of Amenities as Coral Gables , and you are simply not as close to the action as CG is.

So what MIA feels more international, how is that a bad thing? San diego is far too white bread and uninteresting.

Coral Gables = Better Food, Better Culture, More Energy, Better Shopping, and who wants to go to UCSD? BORING!!

SDSU close but still not on the same level as Univ of Miami.

To keep it simple: if you are interested in being a beach bum, a surfer, or are a retiree or a someone from the military , and wanting a midwest city feel with a beach than YES SD is for you.

If you want a place where the energy is vibrant, the feel is exotic and international, and shopping is world class, a place that is CLOSE to all the action, you will choose CG.

If you want to raise your kids in a place where people of all different backgrounds are welcome, and celebrated, than CG is the choice for you.

Other than that, if you really want the best out of So CAL it's not going to be in SD, you will have to go to OC or LA for that.
Since you have just disregarded all of the extremely valid points in our previous posts and merely reiterated your claims, which have already been sufficiently and effectively countered, you've just lost all credibility. Goodbye now!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Since you have just disregarded all of the extremely valid points in our previous posts and merely reiterated your claims, which have already been sufficiently and effectively countered, you've just lost all credibility. Goodbye now!
Since you completely disregarded the post you just quoted with all the valid points I put out, you've just lost all credibility. Goodbye now! MIA CG > San Diego LJ I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City