Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,279 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a soon to be graduate student either attending Unc-Charlotte or Mercer University in Atl to major in Elementary Education.I've never been to Charlotte, but heard great things about the city. I've been to ATL & absolutely love the city. I'm a 26 year old single African American woman, who's looking to reside in a city where I can find a good teaching job (after I complete the program), and hopefully find the man of my dreams. I enjoy a city with a great nightlife (currently living in Pittsburgh & the nightlife here sucks), many young professionals, good percentage of single professional men, and a place that has growth & opportunity. I'm debating between these two wonderful cities. I know Atl has a large amount of men on the DL (Scary), and I heard Charlotte single life is low. I know there are many threads dealing with this topic (Most of them are 3-5 years old), but I want to hear some updated new 2012 views on Charlotte vs Atlanta. Thanks soooo Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM

37,829 posts, read 41,668,812 times
Honestly, there's nothing drastic that's happened since some of those older posts--I mean except stuff related to the recession and both cities are having it a little harder than most in terms of recovery, but they are slowly getting there. But I say worry about your grad program right now. While you're there, you can a feel for the city you're in and choose to move or stay after you complete your program.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM

5,955 posts, read 13,066,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstinamarie85 View Post
Hi,

I'm a soon to be graduate student either attending Unc-Charlotte or Mercer University in Atl to major in Elementary Education.I've never been to Charlotte, but heard great things about the city. I've been to ATL & absolutely love the city. I'm a 26 year old single African American woman, who's looking to reside in a city where I can find a good teaching job (after I complete the program), and hopefully find the man of my dreams. I enjoy a city with a great nightlife (currently living in Pittsburgh & the nightlife here sucks), many young professionals, good percentage of single professional men, and a place that has growth & opportunity. I'm debating between these two wonderful cities. I know Atl has a large amount of men on the DL (Scary), and I heard Charlotte single life is low. I know there are many threads dealing with this topic (Most of them are 3-5 years old), but I want to hear some updated new 2012 views on Charlotte vs Atlanta. Thanks soooo Much!
I wonder how true that really is. I always thought Atlanta just had a lot of metrosexual culture. And some people, especially those who are a bit more socially conservative, question the sexual orientation of men who are into style and fashion.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,938,015 times
Don't choose the school based on the city....After you graduate then you can contemplate which one you want....

Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,957,382 times
Teaching for CMS is an absolute nightmare. Charlotte likes to envision itself as a young Atlanta, but it is not. It is a sleepy, boring town with little to do.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 AM

37,829 posts, read 41,668,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Teaching for CMS is an absolute nightmare.
It depends on the actual school, and even then she wouldn't necessarily have to teach for CMS. She could teach for one of the surrounding school districts. And truthfully, APS isn't really much better; it's a mess right now too.

Quote:
Charlotte likes to envision itself as a young Atlanta, but it is not. It is a sleepy, boring town with little to do.
Plenty to do, especially if you have a great social circle to surround yourself with. As a former resident myself, I know PLENTY of single Black women in Charlotte who thoroughly enjoy living there.

The good thing about going to school in either one is that they aren't far apart at all, so she can make a couple of weekend trips to get a feel for the one she's not living in to see if she'd like it better.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,210,658 times
Charlotte has laid off hordes of teachers over the past year. I have two friends with teaching degrees who were laid off and have since when back to school for something else. I don't know about most of the country, but in Metrolina, teaching jobs are hard to come by.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,686,930 times
No question, go Atlanta. Beware that it will be the most difficult job in your life. But if you are one of those that can do it, your dreams will come true.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,279 times
Thanks for all the advice!!!!! Greatly appreciated

Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,957,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It depends on the actual school, and even then she wouldn't necessarily have to teach for CMS. She could teach for one of the surrounding school districts. And truthfully, APS isn't really much better; it's a mess right now too.

Plenty to do, especially if you have a great social circle to surround yourself with. As a former resident myself, I know PLENTY of single Black women in Charlotte who thoroughly enjoy living there.

The good thing about going to school in either one is that they aren't far apart at all, so she can make a couple of weekend trips to get a feel for the one she's not living in to see if she'd like it better.
CMS LOST my paperwork and wanted to pay me as a sub until they got it straightened out. Their main office is about ten times the size of the main of office of the school district I work for now, and my current district is larger than CMS. When you have to go there nobody knows anything and they keep trying to pass you on to the next person. I was supposed to be reimbursed for classes I took, and they couldn't even tell me how to get reimbursed. I was hit by a kid, and they only suspended the dude for 3 days. Everyday somebody is either gonna kill you, beat you up, rape your wife, etc. CMS does nothing about theses kinds of threats. The district I work for now has about 0 tolerance for these types of things. Teachers are even allowed to send kids to court for their conduct. Oh, and in CMS I made $19,000 less than now. So yeah. CMS is a horrible place to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City