Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best beaches besides those specified?
Texas 12 11.43%
New York 9 8.57%
New Jersey 12 11.43%
South Carolina 13 12.38%
Virginia 7 6.67%
North Carolina 20 19.05%
Oregon 3 2.86%
Illinois 2 1.90%
Georgia 4 3.81%
Other (Please specify) 23 21.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

[quote=cope1989;24545580]Well of course, you can't beat FL, CA and HI for sunny, tropical beaches.

QUOTE]

While California's coastline is absolutely gorgeous, there's pretty much nothing resembling tropical about any stretch of it. If I were taking photos of a coastline, California takes the cake. If was actually wanting to go in the water or layout in the Sun, there are many other state's beaches I'd prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Well the closest you will get to HI, CA or FL beaches is no doubt Corpus Christi Texas .

I must add that I'm very impressed with their beaches.

Since those states were omitted from this discussion, that obviously means that they are the best, and Corpus Christi beaches are the closest to resembling those states exotic beaches.

Tall Washingtonia palms, Canary Island date palms and Royal Palms all can be grown in Corpus Christi.

None of those other states can do this. Those exotic palms make the beach experience that much better.

Texas for the win!!

NO way!! Corpus/Port Aransas beaches are not close in any way.

I went to Gulf Shores Alabama, and it blows away the Texas beaches.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 AM

[quote=rnc2mbfl;24836556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
Well of course, you can't beat FL, CA and HI for sunny, tropical beaches.

QUOTE]

While California's coastline is absolutely gorgeous, there's pretty much nothing resembling tropical about any stretch of it. If I were taking photos of a coastline, California takes the cake. If was actually wanting to go in the water or layout in the Sun, there are many other state's beaches I'd prefer.

Diversity of beaches yes, but not having "tropical beaches" is debatable. Southern Californias climate is cooler of course than Hawaii or So Fla, but can feel very tropical....

Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 AM

Gulf Shores Alabama

Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Michigan should definitely be an option instead of Illinois. Illinois only has a tiny piece of Lake Michigan shore, and the "beach" in Chicago is not naturally sandy. They have to haul it in from somewhere else.

Lake Michigan beaches in Michigan:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/visuals/album/2008/nordhouse/IMG_2054.jpg

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/visuals/album/2006/manitou/IMG_1823.JPG

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/visuals/album/2009/sleeping/IMG_8090.jpg

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/visuals/album/2007/saugatuck/IMG_0088.JPG

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/visuals/album/2008/nordhouse/IMG_2330.jpg

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jense...s/Img_3561.jpg

Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
[quote=slo1318;24837293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

Diversity of beaches yes, but not having "tropical beaches" is debatable. Southern Californias climate is cooler of course than Hawaii or So Fla, but can feel very tropical....

Again, no beach in California FEELS tropical. It may LOOK tropical in some places to you but have you ever put your toe in the Pacific Ocean in California? Believe me, it's no Gulf beach when it comes to temperature. It's cold!!! At its warmest in the late Summer, it's struggling to reach 70 degrees.
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide
Let's compare that to the Southeast Atlantic Coastline where, as far north as NC's Outer Banks, the water temperatures reach 80 in the Summer and the Miami Beach water doesn't even dip below 70 in the dead of Winter.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
NO way!! Corpus/Port Aransas beaches are not close in any way.

I went to Gulf Shores Alabama, and it blows away the Texas beaches.
You miss my point. I stated that Corpus Christi resembles those beaches the most. They can grow foilage that can't be grown in Alabama or those other states, like Canary Island Palms and Royal Palms.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM

635 posts, read 1,541,099 times
[quote=rnc2mbfl;24839199]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post

Again, no beach in California FEELS tropical. It may LOOK tropical in some places to you but have you ever put your toe in the Pacific Ocean in California? Believe me, it's no Gulf beach when it comes to temperature. It's cold!!! At its warmest in the late Summer, it's struggling to reach 70 degrees.
Let's compare that to the Southeast Atlantic Coastline where, as far north as NC's Outer Banks, the water temperatures reach 80 in the Summer and the Miami Beach water doesn't even dip below 70 in the dead of Winter.
Yeah says the person from the East Coast. I mean really, when it's in the 90's any body of water will feel warm! You can stop with the extensive use of hyperbole. The water does not "struggle" to reach 70's. Every summer it gets above 70. And during the summer time the water is refreshing and contrary to snide East Coast belief it actually feels good! Not everyone likes swimming in stagnant bath tub water.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
[quote=S.D. Calif;24840966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

Yeah says the person from the East Coast. I mean really, when it's in the 90's any body of water will feel warm! You can stop with the extensive use of hyperbole. The water does not "struggle" to reach 70's. Every summer it gets above 70. And during the summer time the water is refreshing and contrary to snide East Coast belief it actually feels good! Not everyone likes swimming in stagnant bath tub water.
You can swim in Southern California in the warmer months--or even on the Central Coast or further north if you've got cojones. I grew up in Santa Cruz and used to body surf without a wetsuit as a kid in the summer--and I was just down in La Jolla swimming and snorkeling around the cove a few weeks ago without a wetsuit, so yeah it's no big deal to me.

The point that others were making though is that nowhere on the coast of California does it feel tropical. I associate tropical with lush green tropical vegetation(not just some scattered palm trees), hot and often humid weather almost year round, and bath tub warm water. California is just a Mediterranean climate and in terms of vegetation for much of the coast--similar to Spain or Italy or Greece, where you can grow palm trees, but you're on a non-tropical wet winter/dry summer weather pattern that's far north of the tropics.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
No where on the CA coast is tropical in feel - not even close ... it's a completely different vibe & feel

The water is also not very warm and let's be honest, it's not frequently 90 at the coast - you go inland, sure - but not at the coast ....... that big, cold ocean helps keep things cool

I can also attest that the hotter the temperature the warmer you will want the water ......... if you go from 110 to a 70 degree pool you are going to flat out freeze ........ heck, even the 80s can feel pretty chilly ...... however, in places where I've lived where it doesn't break 90 frequently having a pool in the high 70s, low 80s felt perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City