Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
San Francisco 4 13.33%
Vancouver 2 6.67%
New York 22 73.33%
Toronto 1 3.33%
Montreal 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

Not sheer numbers, but as a PERCENTAGE of the total of number of people in the city. Remember we're talking tourists, not immigrants, so I don't know if % born overseas is that relevant.

In the US, I noticed a lot more in NYC per capita, as would be expected, but then I've not been to SF or the Canadian cities. DC seemed to have a lot of American tourists, LA a mix.

Others on the poll I did not leave out:

LA: not many tourists in DTLA itself. Even Hollywood had fair share of American tourists.

DC: Same

Philly: More American tourists

Orlando: More tourists tend to stay around the Walt Disney resort parks

Chicago: More American tourists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM

69 posts, read 102,681 times
It certainly wouldn't be a very large city like NYC. The smaller cities attract a lot more tourists relative to their population. Niagara Falls, Ontario has less than 100,000 people, and attracts over 20 million tourists per year, many of them from overseas.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
nyc then sf then.... wait for it...
orlando, just not in their downtown. there are those annoying people with the same color flags ALL OVER the place in Orlando.

Orlando is more diverse also than given credit for, it's just kind of lame/suburban.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,062,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not sheer numbers, but as a PERCENTAGE of the total of number of people in the city. Remember we're talking tourists, not immigrants, so I don't know if % born overseas is that relevant.

In the US, I noticed a lot more in NYC per capita, as would be expected, but then I've not been to SF or the Canadian cities. DC seemed to have a lot of American tourists, LA a mix.

Others on the poll I did not leave out:

LA: not many tourists in DTLA itself. Even Hollywood had fair share of American tourists.

DC: Same

Philly: More American tourists

Orlando: More tourists tend to stay around the Walt Disney resort parks

Chicago: More American tourists
Going by City and not Metro my guess is:
1. Downtown Lake Buena Vista, FL aka Downtown Disney which is not in the city of Orlando

2. Downtown Flagstaff, Arizona - gateway to the Grand Canyon

3. Downtown Miami Beach, FL aka South Beach which also is not in the city of Miami

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
I'd say South Beach in Miami Beach by far, not sure if that counts for this thread though.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'd say South Beach in Miami Beach by far, not sure if that counts for this thread though.
Downtown Miami as well gets a lot of Latin American tourists on shopping trips...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,062,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Downtown Miami as well gets a lot of Latin American tourists on shopping trips...
Have you ever been to downtown Miami??

Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
From that list? San Francisco seems to have the most to me. Lots of people from Asia and a surprisingly large number from Europe given the distance. It also doesn't hurt that Many of San Francisco's primary attractions and major hotels are either right downtown or just a little ways outside. Walk by the Cable Car turnaround on Powell at Market or a few blocks up to Union Square and the sheer number of tourists is surprising.

One of the big reasons for this (IMO) is that many cities have cheaper suburban hotels just an easy distance outside of the city center that are where more budget conscious travelers stay (often by an airport). SF doesn't (not on the same level, anyway) San Francisco's airports (I'm including OAK) are a little beyond what most tourists would consider a desirable commute. Compared to places like DC or Boston where airport hotels (Reagan/Crystal City) are right outside of the city center, SFO and OAK are a hike. Even New York has options in Jersey City, Hoboken, LI City that are cheaper than downtown hotels and still pretty close. There's not much like that in SF. You have a handful of Fisherman's Wharf area hotels, and a few over in Emeryville that are cheaper, but most of the accommodations are either downtown (or right next door) or a ways away. This is part of the reason tourists are concentrated downtown more than in most other cities.

Another small reason why tourists tend to stay downtown is that Bay Area tourists use SF as a base for day trips too. It's not difficult to drive up to Napa or down to Santa Cruz (even Monterey or Carmel) for a day using SF as a base. Many other cities don't have the variety of attractions so close. To get to the Hamptons or Adirondacks from NYC, you'll likely have to stay at least one night outside the city. Same for Cape Cod, Maine or the White Mountains from Boston.

New York City would win for sheer numbers in the city, but the city is so large and the attractions so widespread that tourists tend to be spread out between Lower Manhattan, Midtown and beyond. Although Times Square probably has the biggest single concentration of foreign tourists of at any time (I'm not counting attractions where you pay admission to get into like Disney).

I'm always surprised to see so many Japanese tourists in Montreal (more so in Quebec City).

Miami definitely has its fair share of Latin American tourists, but not downtown. Most tourists to Miami never set foot in downtown.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Have you ever been to downtown Miami??
Was just there two weeks ago...The city is a huge destination for wealthy South Americans to go shopping, although much of the activity has moved to the malls these days. Even if downtown isn't the prime destination for tourists. In the 80s and 90s there was more businesses that were catering to Latin Americans visiting Miami.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

I'm always surprised to see so many Japanese tourists in Montreal (more so in Quebec City).
Quebec City definitely has one of the highest percentage of tourists. The city is relatively small and completely walkable.
Tourism is a big industry for Quebec city as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City