Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

I read a post in another thread which gave me the idea for this comparison.

For the the northeastern U.S., let's use these states:

Pennsylvania
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachussetts
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine

Which region would you pick just based on natural scenery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Love Texas, would much rather live in Texas, but gotta give this one to the Northeastern US.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
For natural scenery, it's not even close in my opinion. Northeastern U.S. takes it.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
As a region the northeast has more scenic terrain but as a state no northeastern state offers as much as Texas. New England coast is nice but its not usable for half the year but SPI, Aransas, or Corpus are at your disposal for most of the year and they have palm trees which make beaches look better. The beaches near Houston are ugly compared to South Texas or the northeast. I grew up in Albany before I moved to California and always liked the scenery around Pittsburgh, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, upstate New York but the big cities were always dull for me just as Dallas and Houston are except Boston. Medium sized cities in both areas have better scenery than the big cities.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Texas is a victim of the stereotypes that people who have never visited (or only visited, say, Dallas or Houston) carry with them. So in my opinion, Texas is vastly underrated in terms of natural beauty.

However, I still find the Northeast more attractive physically. Even if you narrowed it down to just New England, I'd still say it's New England by a fairly large margin. The points about climate are valid, but I'm not so sure how the coast being "unusable" (and tell the thousands of fishing and transport vessels, year-round surfers and divers, shore casters, dog walkers, photographers, etc that they can't use the N.E. coastline in the winter-- they'd be pretty surprised to hear that) affects it's physical beauty or natural scenery? It's pretty beautiful year-round even if each season means different uses.

Anyway, this is highly subjective. There are plenty of people who will find Texas more appealing. Just like the poster that finds palm trees more appealing, I'll take the 100+ foot dunes of the National Seashore in Cape Cod or the rugged coastline of Acadia National Park over any palm tree lined beach.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Yeah because we all know people flock to Cape Cod in the middle of December for a swim. The Atlantic begins its temperature drop by the end of October and it stays that way until March sometimes April. Gulf is just more warmer for snorkeling period. I agree that New England is the treasure jewel for scenery in the northeast, a place that Texas cant compete with but there is no state in the northeast that offers as much as Texas or California or most western states. Pennsylvania and New York have their mountains and lakes which are very nice but their coastline compared to New England sucks, Pennsylvania doesn't even have a coastline so let alone it cant compete with SPI. No place in Jersey can either, you have to go to New England to get places that overtake that in scenery.

With the mountains its subjective, Texas's mountains all look arid so if you don't like that then you will like northeastern mountains which are the polar opposite forested. Texas's hills are forested but they don't hold a candle to the elevation of the hills in New England. Coastline is also subjective, New England as you mentioned has more elevated terrain and very desirable quality water and SPI has more tolerable water temperatures and desirable water quality but lacks the cliffs. For me Texas's coast south of Corpus is more usable for most of the year but the mountains and lakes in the northeast are easier to deal with than the mountains in Texas.

Last edited by scrantiX; 06-18-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 AM

457 posts, read 904,628 times
Texas has more variety, but New England is on a different level in terms of natural beauty. I love Texas, but I moved to CT almost three years ago and am still struck by the natural beauty of this place.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I lived in Portland, Maine for 10 months. I got to explore Maine a little more then I expected to. It was extremely Beautiful.

I think Texas has better overall scenery then the Northeast though. NY is really pretty imo as well.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Texas is a victim of the stereotypes that people who have never visited (or only visited, say, Dallas or Houston) carry with them. So in my opinion, Texas is vastly underrated in terms of natural beauty.

However, I still find the Northeast more attractive physically. Even if you narrowed it down to just New England, I'd still say it's New England by a fairly large margin. The points about climate are valid, but I'm not so sure how the coast being "unusable" (and tell the thousands of fishing and transport vessels, year-round surfers and divers, shore casters, dog walkers, photographers, etc that they can't use the N.E. coastline in the winter-- they'd be pretty surprised to hear that) affects it's physical beauty or natural scenery? It's pretty beautiful year-round even if each season means different uses.

Anyway, this is highly subjective. There are plenty of people who will find Texas more appealing. Just like the poster that finds palm trees more appealing, I'll take the 100+ foot dunes of the National Seashore in Cape Cod or the rugged coastline of Acadia National Park over any palm tree lined beach.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Texas has incredible diversity in its natural scenery too, like the piney woods of East TX, Hill Country, Gulf Coast, Big Bend, and Palo Duro. Even the blackland prairie can have a *certain* appeal. BUT, I agree that New England still wins by a good margin. I prefer the Gulf coast for the warm waters, lack of people and year-round accessibility, but I wouldn't say they're prettier. Overall New England has better mountains, lakes and trees, however we're comparing one state to an entire region.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Im a Texan, but New England by a country mile, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City