Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times

Advertisements

This seems so obvious to me that surely it's been done before, but I searched and couldn't find it. Ever since a couple of great visits to DC in the past few years, I've been thinking of our nation's capital as my second-favorite U.S. city (after my hometown of New York, eternally my personal No. 1). But a terrific trip to Boston last week, after not having visited for many years and never really having fully exploring it, has me wondering whether I have a new No. 2.

For all their differences, Boston and DC are very similar in a lot of ways and I think they match up really evenly. They are, of course, the bookend cities of BosWash. They're old by U.S. standards; they're historic; they attract a lot of young, professional transplants; they're highly educated; they're somewhat famously segregated; they get similar amounts of tourism; great public spaces; great architecture; their economies have weathered the 2008 recession comparatively well; for the U.S., they're not very car-friendly and rely heavily on public transportation. Even some of the more-esoteric details are similar -- for example, both cities have satellite cities (Cambridge for Boston, Arlington for DC, to name just two) that aren't in the city limits but are very much part of the city's fabric.

Who do you think comes out on top? Let's do some criteria (or you can ignore 'em, whatever you want):

Architecture
Parks and public spaces
Historical sites
Culture (museums, concerts, etc.)
Food
Nightlife
Education
Public transit
Weather
Surrounding area (including satellite cities)
People
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 AM

12 posts, read 51,201 times
I agree with you nyc is the best. But Boston and Dc are two great cities as well. I do find Dc less
Segregated and more diverse than boston.
Who do you think comes out on top? Let's do some criteria (or you can ignore 'em, whatever you want):

Architecture. Tie
Parks and public spaces. Tie
Historical sites. Tie
Culture (museums, concerts, etc.) Dc wins more musuems most of them free
Food. Dc wins more diversity of ethnic foods
Nightlife. Dc wins
Education. Boston wins
Public transit. Dc wins only slighty because metro is more modern than T
Weather. Tie. Dc summers vs. Boston winters you decide
Surrounding area (including satellite cities) Dc suburbs seem have more importance to the region
People[/quote] tie. Boston's struggling racial tolerance vs. Dc's arrogance

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmos View Post
I agree with you nyc is the best. But Boston and Dc are two great cities as well. I do find Dc less
Segregated and more diverse than boston.

Architecture. Tie
Parks and public spaces. Tie
Historical sites. Tie
Culture (museums, concerts, etc.) Dc wins more musuems most of them free
Nightlife. Dc wins
Education. Boston wins
Public transit. Dc wins only slighty because metro is more modern than T
Weather. Tie. Dc summers vs. Boston winters you decide
Surrounding area (including satellite cities) Dc suburbs seem have more importance to the region
People
Feel free to elaborate on Boston's struggling racial tolerance.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Architecture DC

Parks and public spaces Boston I really like Boston Common - such a good feel there.

Historical sites Tie DC has more National Historic Landmarks, but Boston is older and has more colonial history

Culture (museums, concerts, etc.) Tie DC for museums, but Boston has a better local music scene. All major bands come to both cities

Food - Tie DC has practically every kind of food in its metro area. But Boston's local food is more well-known

Nightlife DC probably gets the edge

Education - Boston definitely - it's the education capital, though DC is good too

Public transit DC has the 2nd largest metrorail in the U.S. Boston's public transit is good too.

Weather DC has a better balance of 4 seasons IMO

Surrounding area (including satellite cities) DC is closer to more large cities, including Baltimore and Philly

People Tie DC has more ethnicities in its metro area. But Boston has more interesting ethnic whites

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-21-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Architecture DC
Parks and public spaces tie
Historical sites tie
Culture (museums, concerts, etc.) DC, Boston has a better locally derived culture though.
Food DC
Nightlife DC
Education Boston
Public transit DC
Weather DC is quite a bit more moderate with mild winters.
Surrounding area (including satellite cities) DC
People DC, people are surprisingly friendly, maybe b/c all the transplants

Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
Architecture: Tie
Parks and public spaces: Tie
Historical sites: DC
Culture (museums, concerts, etc.): DC
Food: DC
Nightlife: DC
Education: Boston
Public transit: DC
Weather: DC
Surrounding area (including satellite cities): DC
People: DC

Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Feel free to elaborate on Boston's struggling racial tolerance.
I'm going to speak for them until they respond by saying they are an out-of-towner recalling the days of the busing crisis and things of that nature. Not that Boston has by any means completely moved passed that era, but I'm an undergrad from the area and at least with my generation racism is almost nill, especially compared to the only other state I've lived in (RI I sort of include with MA), California, where the kids my age I was around where much more apt to use derogatory insults and racism as a defense for their own poor performances. Not that Boston and Massachusetts as a whole have succeeded in allowing their minorities to succeed. See our "other" cities AKA Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, Brockton, Lawrence, New Bedford, Pawtucket.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I'm going to speak for them until they respond by saying they are an out-of-towner recalling the days of the busing crisis and things of that nature. Not that Boston has by any means completely moved passed that era, but I'm an undergrad from the area and at least with my generation racism is almost nill, especially compared to the only other state I've lived in (RI I sort of include with MA), California, where the kids my age I was around where much more apt to use derogatory insults and racism as a defense for their own poor performances. Not that Boston and Massachusetts as a whole have succeeded in allowing their minorities to succeed. See our "other" cities AKA Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, Brockton, Lawrence, New Bedford, Pawtucket.
Pawtucket hasnt been in Massachusetts since the 1700s, and Worcester, Lowell are not too bad at all.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:37 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
These are the two cities I spend the most time in (Live in Cambridge, MA. Spend at least 4-5 days a month in DC for work) Love them both.

Architecture: Tie. Both cities have an extremely well maintained historic housing stock.
Parks and public spaces: Tie. I do love the Boston Common and Fens as regular meeting places, but the National Park system in DC is impressive as well.
Historical sites: Tie
Culture (museums, concerts, etc.): DC for Museums, Boston for local culture.
Food: Tie. There is no type of Ethnic food you are unable to find in either city. The local chef driven food is alive and well. Both cities are also amazing cocktail cities. The Columbia Room in DC and Drink in Boston are two of the best cocktail bars in the country.
Nightlife: DC. Boston shuts down earlier than DC on a regular night from my experience.
Education: Boston. Education capital of the world.
Public transit: Tie. Both reliable and extensive. Two cities where you could easily live car-less.
Weather: Both aren't great, but If I had to choose I would say DC.
Surrounding area (including satellite cities): The VA and MD suburbs all offer great options for living. Boston more than holds it own with surrounding cities like Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, Chestnut Hill.
People: People are the same everywhere. Some nice, some ****ty.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Food - Tie DC has practically every kind of food in its metro area. But Boston's local food is more well-known

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmos View Post
I was curious as to what type of ethnic food you can find readily available in DC that cannot be found in Boston. As someone who has eaten extensively in both cities I am unable to think of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City