Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly-San Francisco A Reasonable Comparison?
Yes 65 49.24%
No 67 50.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawn.

Until Downtown Philadelphia surpasses King of Prussia as far as shopping amenities, spare us the hyperbolic "lying and trying to portray" bs.

It already does in terms of boutiques. KOP does reign supreme on Department stores and Chains though if that is what you like. Do wish shopping were better in DT philly but even said still very few cities are better DT, SF being one of them

But shopping is by no means bad in DT Philly, not by a long shot, yawn

Shopping for me is down on the list of valuing a place, important but not as, you may differ in this belief than so be it

Not sure I believe this but recently Philly was cited as being one of the top cities in the world for shopping, mostly for the boutiques and not for the mall in KOP (not in the city itself); regardless it does speak to the city not being some void as you might suggest in your posts.

"Center City is home to a mix of national retailers like Urban Outfitters, local retailers and trendy boutiques.

Rittenhouse Row claims to be one of the most exclusive shopping areas in the country, with specialty shops, spas, haute couture boutiques and national retailers. There are carefully curated collections at Boyds, and innovative women’s wear at Joan Schepp. Ciranni also likes Knit Wit, which is “urban chic,” and Arcada Boutique, which sells up and coming labels.

Old City is not only home to Independence Hall and the Betsy Ross House, it also has a wide array of stores. There are art galleries, hip boutiques, new-age designs stores and vintage shops. Ciranni suggests paying a visit to Sugarcube, which sells designer goods and vintage frocks."

News Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It already does in terms of boutiques.
As far as nationally and internationally recognized high end boutiques, no not really. KOP is a beast of a shopping destination that far exceeds what is found Philadelphia's downtown.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times
Quote:
As far as nationally and internationally recognized high end boutiques, no not really. KOP is a beast of a shopping destination that far exceeds what is found Philadelphia's downtown.

KOP is a beast, largest retail mall in the country, adding another 1.4 million sq feet of retail to the mall and across the street. I find it personally obnoxious but have been there as it is has just about everything, sadly buried in the middle of elevated parking garages and highways.

I mean one of kind boutiques, not high end stuff just found in limited places like Hermes or Cartier etc. (though many of these exist in both places CC and KOP) as do some of the hometown chains like Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People etc.) that now seem to exist everywhere in the country. In an odd twist of faith, Urban Outfitters (Parent Corp) recently moved their headquarters from Center City to a few miles away in the Navy Yard development (though still within the Philly City limit)

Also monty, when was the last time you actually went shopping in Center City? While to me not as good as SF; I would say in terms of DT shopping only NYC, Boston, Chicago, Seattle and SF would surpass it in DT shopping quite honestly.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM

37,264 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
How is that a con for Philly though? The city itself still has plenty of shopping options--it's just that it also has a mega-complex close by. It's like saying that having San Jose and Oakland and other notable cities in the fairly decentralized Bay Area having something better or worse than in SF means SF is no longer worth mentioning.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 PM

419 posts, read 1,000,085 times
Not a good comparison

Philly is the San Diego of the Northeast.

San Francisco is the Manhattan of the Westcoast.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How is that a con for Philly though?
It demonstrates that major retail would rather be in suburbia than in the heart of the city.

But then, apart from a very small number of cities, its rare for downtowns to be the center of retail anymore, Philadelphia is hardly alone in that aspect, sadly.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,720,226 times
Quote:
It demonstrates that major retail would rather be in suburbia than in the heart of the city.

But then, apart from a very small number of cities, its rare for downtowns to be the center of retail anymore, Philadelphia is hardly alone in that aspect, sadly.
That's because in the 70's, 80's and 90's retail fled Center City and went to the suburbs... now it is coming back to Center City... have you walked down Rittenhouse Row? I think the only thing their missing there is a Gucci and a Nordstrom... retail could be better but it's certainly no slouch. Have you ever actually been to Philly? within the last couple of years? Or are you just making assumptions by what you read on Citydata...

Aside from Rittenhouse Row (Walnut Street), Chestnut Street, there is also The Shops at Liberty Place.... a pretty large Macy's and of course the home grown boutiques on South Street and in Old City. The only place that truly sucks for retail in Center City is Market East... hopefully one day that will change.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,247,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
SF is the only east coast style city west..and its in Cali

that's about it...

what they find edgy city living is standard - check out bridgeport ct
Comparing Bridgeport to SF? "Standard"? I think you're not very familiar with SF. And yes, I've been to Bridgeport. And NYC. And Boston, and Hartford, and Philly, Providence, Washington DC, Portland, and if you're counting the entire eastern seaboard, I've been to Asheville too. And a bunch of small towns from Maine to NC. So i'm pretty familar with how SF compares to the east coast, and you're wrong all the time with how you try to describe SF or a lot of non-NYC cities, honestly.

Quote:
yup

if i'm from the east coast, i'm hitting san diego - i don't need a rainy,cold, dirty city that looks like where i came from
I guarantee you SF does not look like where you're from. Unless you just mean "the buildings are close together and some look similar and stuff". And SF is far from rainy (what a tired stereotype). SF gets 24 inches of rain a year, only in the winter, with an average of 73 rainy days, and zero snow days. NYC gets 50 inches a year, and 27 inches of snow, with an average of 122 rainy days, and 12 snow days. And SF gets more hours of sunshine per year than NYC does as well (2,535 for NYC and 3,062 for SF).

But you're one of the biggest NYC/east coast boosters on city-data, and have demonstrated time and again, that you know little about the west coast beyond misconceptions and stereotypes, so it's not surprising that this is what you think.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,230,374 times
Quote:

KOP has about 600 retail businesses albeit all of them on the higher end. In contrast Center City has a mix of 2800 retail businesses. When you throw in the tourists, parks,students,museum patrons, architecture, Center City makes a mockery of KOP.

And I am a big fan of KOP and live a mile away.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,996,726 times
Quote:
SF is the only east coast style city west..and its in Cali
LOL its not east coast style, San Francisco is its own west coast style.
Quote:
what they find edgy city living is standard - check out bridgeport ct
Urban mecca that is Bridgeport, Connecticut
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/23/340...450_z.jpg?zz=1

San Francisco apparently the displaced "east coast" city in the west
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/46/158...c91_z.jpg?zz=1

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3060/2...06290420_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3070/2...71387731_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3202/3...c6e4a542_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3122/2...1c3c2b5d_z.jpg

Density that is surpassed by only NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City