Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlepriest View Post
It's summer time and I'm about to move soon.
Again, you are 14 years old, so....

Well, where are you going to work? You said you're going to move, but have no idea where. Are you planning to run away?

What do your parents do for a living? Since you are talking about BUYING A HOUSE (as far as I know, almost every single state forbids minors from buying houses), I'm assuming your parents are involved, so where you move has to be tied with what they do for a living.

Quote:
I recently passed freshmen year which was not that bad except for the excessive robbings/locker breakings.
I used to go to richmond hill highschool where me and a few other kids were the only east asians.
There were only south asians and hispanics in the whole school and I felt left out because of it.
The school is already shut down and renamed the 21st century school of richmond hill.
Yeah I have alot of friends in the school but I don't talk or hang out with any of them.
Alot of people know my name, both spanish and guyanese girls find me attractive, random people usually say hi to me everyday, the school staff knows me including the principal, and I've got better swag than most of the people in the school which means I wear really good clothes (Air jordans retro 4s mars,$80 sweater,etc).
I kinda represent east asians in a very good way lol.
It's just that it's harder to talk to and hang out with non east asians.
It's not that they are racist or anything but we don't hang out with each other easily.
I've never seen a guyanese and spanish person hang out with each other, not even as gf and bf.
At least you have people who randomly come up to you and say hi. That at least means that people like you.

I know right now at this age, the best thing to do always seems to be "run away from everything" but in life, sometimes the best thing to do is work with what you have. Wherever you move, people tend to hang out with others they are already familiar with and grew up with. I saw this moving my 4th grade year to Phoenix, AZ and when I did my freshman year at Brooklyn Tech. I knew absolutely no one, and it made me feel like more of an outcast than if I had stayed in LA and hung out with the same people everyone else did.

From what it sounds like to me is simply a teenager thing, not a race thing. You should try to be friendlier with the people who at least acknowledge you, get their numbers, and start hanging out with them. I know it seems hard and tough, but trust me, even if everyone at the school was East Asian, everyone will STILL be hanging out in their own groups of people based off something else (some like racing cars, some like studying more than others, some are athletes, some are hardcore gamers, etc.)

Hell, use the fact that you are one of the few East Asians at school to your advantage. Trust me, when you start dating girls, a lot of the cute girls like the more "exotic" guys. I spent a huge chunk of my time in high school hanging out with random groups of girls of all ethnicities because they wanted to know more about me.

Being 14 is rough, but only as rough as you want it to be.

For what it's worth, you sound a like a nice kid. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

And again, if I were you, disregard most of what you see on this site because most people are either really only for boosting for whatever area they live in rather than offering any genuine advice. There's no such thing as a perfect place, but only the reality you create for yourself that can make it happen.

Signed,
A Socially Awkward Pre-Teen turned Popular Kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM

139 posts, read 207,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
I can kinda relate to you. I'm half-Chinese half-Caucasian, and I live in NorCal. While many people might think of the SF Bay Area as a place with a lot of Asians (which is definitely true), I live an hour north of SF in a fairly decent-sized city. Tons of Hispanics, but not THAT many Asians, like in 2010 it was 6% or something like that. There's some Chinese, and a somewhat large Laotian community in one neighborhood in my city, and some Cambodians here and there, but when I was in school I just felt kinda like an outsider because there weren't many Asians and I was teased for that kinda thing (ironically the principal was an Asian woman lol). However, most people really just joke around but still it feels awkward to be around a lot of non-Asians when you're an Asian/white kid.

However, I wouldn't really recommend living in California cuz it's fairly expensive now, and while the weather is nice for the most part, with some nice scenery, there's a lot of problems with this place, and there is just as much, if not more, racism here than where you live probably. I'd recommend Georgia, as was stated, in the Atlanta area where there's a lot of various types of Asians. It has a growing economy as well, mainly in high tech and other fields as well. The DC area in Virginia and Maryland has a lot of Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, and probably a few Laotians too, but it's a fairly wealthy area for the most part, unless you want to live in a housing project or low income apartment or something. However, in my opinion, it's not a horrible idea as long as you examine the area enough. Not to mention it's closer to New York!
I would never recommend Atlanta to anyone. It's truly a horrid place. The Tea Party politics, racism and sprawl there make it a completely dysfunctional and plastic suburb-oriented mess.

I would definitely place the DC area on the list. Yes, it's expensive but the school systems are top-notch and excellent. You get what you pay for, and yes you are only a few hours from New York.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
I would never recommend Atlanta to anyone. It's truly a horrid place. The Tea Party politics, racism and sprawl there make it a completely dysfunctional and plastic suburb-oriented mess.
You never get tired of bad-mouthing Atlanta do you? Who's asking you to recommend Atlanta?

Your opinion is noted...and not everyone shares it.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:15 PM

157 posts, read 568,856 times
Here is an idea for Battlepriest: When you turn 21 consider moving to Flagstaff Arizona and opening an Asian food market. We are only 2% Asian in this city, but the attitude is liberal, and the town lacks good Asian food. There is a good college with substantial Asian attendance.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
St. Paul, MN is the most Hmong city in the country (besides perhaps Fresno, CA). I know that's not Laos but there are a lot of Laoatians there as well. It's also (relatively) cheap. The East/North sides of the city are well over 20% Asian and closer to 50%, and many neighborhoods are majority Asian. It's got to be one of the few cities in this country that are both CHEAP and Asian, along with Houston or New Orleans. MN and Twin Cities schools in general are among the best in the country (public schools). Unlike your previous assertion about Asian and crime however, there IS a moderate crime presence in some of these St. Paul Asian communities (SE Asian gangs -- think "Gran Torino", the movie).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City