Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD or Denver?
Denver 114 40.00%
San Diego 171 60.00%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 AM

64 posts, read 154,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Denver is better compared to Sacramento or Portland, two inland cities next to big mountain ranges. San Diego is in a higher league.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 AM

64 posts, read 154,419 times

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/imag...verair2002.jpg

You forgot Phoenix as well, if I didn't know any better I would think this picture was of Phoenix

Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM

26 posts, read 101,206 times
^ If you're going to attempt to compare Denver to Phoenix, then use an actual picture of Denver from THIS century. That pic has to be 10-15 yrs old. There are so many buildings missing from that picture that it doesn't even accurately represent what Denver's skyline looks like today. Here's a more recent aerial.

Aerial View of Denver | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As you can see, the upper-right and left sides of the skyline has seen a number of highrise developments since that previous picture was taken. Also, downtown Denver is surrounded and filled with A LOT of lowrise density which isn't even visible from those high altitude aerials.

Aerial Denver - Downtown - D&F
Tower - 16th Street Mall | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/conmigocontigo/5064830056/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49394874@N08/5629658731/

...and I didn't even post any aerials of LODO which is extremely dense and urban...

If by posting that old aerial of Denver and comparing it to Phoenix was your way of implying that San Diego is more urban than Denver, as if skyline was in anyway a true judge of what class a city belongs to, I've got news for you... Denver has more highrises than San Diego and Denver's skyline has twice the height of San Diego's skyline.

FACT:

San Diego has 30 highrise buildings between 300-500 feet tall and San Diego's tallest building is 500 feet. 30 highrise buildings in total over 300 ft tall. Over 140 highrises in total.

Denver has 24 highrise buildings between 300-500 feet tall AND 7 highrise buildings between 500-800 feet tall. Denver's tallest building is 714 feet. 31 highrise buildings total over 300 ft tall. Over 200 highrises in total.

If basing what class a city belongs to by skylines and urban build alone, then it's San Diego that's much, much closer to the urban build of Phoenix than Denver. Denver's skyline is much larger than San Diego's, period. Sorry to burst your sheltered bubble...

My brother lives in San Diego and I've visited him 3 times over the past few years and Denver is much more vibrant and busy in it's downtown. People actually walk/bike and use public transit in Denver's core which adds to the vibrancy of downtown and it's surrounding neighborhoods whereas downtown San Diego is highly car dependent. It's not even close. Also, LODO is twice the size of the Gaslamp Quarter and LODO has 10x the amount of bars, restaurants and clubs. LMAO at whoever said Gaslamp was better than LODO. Are you serious?? You've obviously never been to both. Denver's isolation has made the city develop amenities of a city twice it's size. Denver punches way above it's weight and in some instances, out ranks San Diego. San Diego is far too close to LA to even matter on a national scale. Don't get me wrong, San Diego isn't bad but it's highly overrated and so are it's beaches ...and in many ways, Denver is highly underrated it seems. However, San Diego has the absolute best climate/weather in the entire country.

BTW, Phoenix looks nothing like this..

http://charlescox.net/wp-content/upl...e-19290845.jpg

Last edited by Back-up; 07-12-2012 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM

503 posts, read 800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Denver is better compared to Sacramento or Portland, two inland cities next to big mountain ranges. San Diego is in a higher league.
Once again, that can't be true when people are consitently placing Denver in a Category next to Seattle, Minneapolis, and Detroit. Sac and Portland are probably a tier below Denver. SD and Denver are pretty much equal. And please, show me stats that show San Diego is in a different league.

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 07-12-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdivide View Post
http://www.denver-cityscape.com/imag...verair2002.jpg

You forgot Phoenix as well, if I didn't know any better I would think this picture was of Phoenix
You made sure you could find a bad picture and compare it to Phoenix. We've established that SD is prettier. What else you got?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-up View Post
People actually walk/bike and use public transit in Denver's core which adds to the vibrancy of downtown and it's surrounding neighborhoods whereas downtown San Diego is highly car dependent.
Downtown SD is not "highly car dependent". There is light rail, commuter rail, Amtrak, and lots of buses in Downtown SD. SD's light rail system carries around 100,000 commuters per day while Denver's only carries around 70,000.

Quote:
It's not even close. Also, LODO is twice the size of the Gaslamp Quarter and LODO has 10x the amount of bars, restaurants and clubs. LMAO at whoever said Gaslamp was better than LODO. Are you serious??
Not that this is scientific or anything but using a search on Yelp shows the following:

Restaurants
Gaslamp: 227
LoDo: 179

Nightlife
Gaslamp: 184
LoDo: 74

I've noticed a fair amount of people on here seem to really underestimate the Gaslamp Quarter.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Denver is a tier or two up on Sac and tier up on Portland. Denver and Seattle are at about equal. But Seattle is one of most beautiful cities in the country. Denver, not so much.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:43 PM

I don't understand. No Denver poster this far has said anything about it being one of prettiest cities, yet people can't stop commenting on the scenery. It's a decent looking Great plains city with beautiful mountain views. What's so hard to understand?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I don't understand. No Denver poster this far has said anything about it being one of prettiest cities, yet people can't stop commenting on the scenery. It's a decent looking Great plains city with beautiful mountain views. What's so hard to understand?
I live in Denver, and am constantly astounded by how ugly the city is. The mountains absolutely provide a sort of scenery that is rare and beautiful, but that's only 1/2 of of the (panoramic) picture. Otherwise Denver is a dry, brown, smoggy, and dusty town that does not have much in the way of scenery at all. The mountains, of course, do save the city and make it more scenic.
But that is only (and literally) half of the picture.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM

231 posts, read 640,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've noticed a fair amount of people on here seem to really underestimate the Gaslamp Quarter.
While a lot of the fist pumping clubs found in Gaslamp are not my scene, the amount of people out and about is pretty healthy on a weekend evening. Only other place in so.cal that is comparable would be West Hollywood/Hollywood in terms of numbers from my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City