Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD or Denver?
Denver 114 40.00%
San Diego 171 60.00%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,057,405 times

Advertisements

Urbanity: Tie, although I want to say Denver
More Outdoorsy: Tie
Things to do: Denver
Economy: Denver
Schools: Not sure
Universities: San Diego
Suburbs: Not sure, I'll say SD though
Climate: Denver for 4 seasons, San Diego for vacation climate
Downtown: Tie, but San Diego's has the shore
Transportation: That's tough, Denver's is pretty good for it's size however
Shopping: Probably SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:53 AM

64 posts, read 154,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Urbanity: Tie, although I want to say Denver
More Outdoorsy: Tie
Things to do: Denver
Economy: Denver
Schools: Not sure
Universities: San Diego
Suburbs: Not sure, I'll say SD though
Climate: Denver for 4 seasons, San Diego for vacation climate
Downtown: Tie, but San Diego's has the shore
Transportation: That's tough, Denver's is pretty good for it's size however
Shopping: Probably SD
You being from Portland you should know that Denver is on your towns level and a notch below San Diego

Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,717,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdivide View Post
You being from Portland you should know that Denver is on your towns level and a notch below San Diego
I don't see how that poster made you all defensive. Since you've stuck to this same quote throughout the thread, I'm not expecting you to except this, but there is a reason Denver gets compared to SD, Seattle, and Minneapolis. D-town may not be on the exact same level, but this is how many people I've seen on this site break it down (there is good reason for it).

And Portland is a great city, so if you wanna compare Denver to that amazing city, I'd consider it a compliment for both cities.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 AM

26 posts, read 101,241 times
sdurbanite..

Wait, North Park is busier than LoHi? Since when? And of all the neighborhoods in Denver, Washington Park (an older established neighborhood filled with single family homes and upper-middle class families), is your favorite? Not exactly what I'd expect from someone with "urbanite" in their name. It honestly doesn't sound like you've ever spent any real time in Denver, if ever.

BTW, those neighborhood comparisons are not apples to apples except for maybe Hillcrest and Capitol Hill in which it's quite a stretch to say one is more vibrant than the other. Why stop at just two Denver neighborhoods and then go on to list a plethora of San Diego ones? What about other vibrant Denver neighborhoods like the Golden Triangle, Five-Points, Cheeseman Park, or Uptown? How about the E. Colfax corridor?

About those mountain views in Denver.. You can't see the Rockies from downtown Denver because Denver has (like most cities) buildings and skyscrapers that block the view, not because the Rockies aren't impressive (hilarious). You can't see the ocean from downtown San Diego, does that make the Pacific Ocean less grand?

Let me share my honest opinion about San Diego's topography. As I've stated previously, San Diego's beaches are about the most overrated beaches in the United States. I don't even think they're in the top 5 within California. That's probably the most honest thing anyone's said thus far in this thread about San Diego's scenery. I've traveled to enough US beaches to feel confident in stating that. But I'd bet you wouldn't consider that as honest a description of San Diego's setting that you have ever read although it's about as honest as vegaspilgrim's or your view of Denver's scenery.

Lastly, stating that posts are only worthy of a response if they don't mention number of highrises and population density is ridiculous. These characteristics are what makes cities, you know, cities. You seem to be stuck on natural scenery considering the ocean seems to be San Diego's strong point. Don't let your homerism disregard important facts like density, # of highrises, tallest buildings, etc. just because these are Denver's strong points. Some would argue that natural scenery is the least important aspect of what makes a city a city. But to each his own. Each city has strong points and weak points but I feel you're really reaching to put San Diego on top.

When skimming through this thread, it's basically two pages of facts and thirteen pages of why San Diego's scenery is so great in comparison. It's all relative. To someone in Honolulu, San Diego looks like a dump. The topic is Denver vs. San Diego, not Denver scenery vs. San Diego Scenery. Aspects like highrises and density are just as important a topic as any.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-up View Post
sdurbanite..

Wait, North Park is busier than LoHi? Since when? And of all the neighborhoods in Denver, Washington Park (an older established neighborhood filled with single family homes and upper-middle class families), is your favorite? Not exactly what I'd expect from someone with "urbanite" in their name. It honestly doesn't sound like you've ever spent any real time in Denver, if ever.

BTW, those neighborhood comparisons are not apples to apples except for maybe Hillcrest and Capitol Hill in which it's quite a stretch to say one is more vibrant than the other. Why stop at just two Denver neighborhoods and then go on to list a plethora of San Diego ones? What about other vibrant Denver neighborhoods like the Golden Triangle, Five-Points, Cheeseman Park, or Uptown? How about the E. Colfax corridor?

About those mountain views in Denver.. You can't see the Rockies from downtown Denver because Denver has (like most cities) buildings and skyscrapers that block the view, not because the Rockies aren't impressive (hilarious). You can't see the ocean from downtown San Diego, does that make the Pacific Ocean less grand?

Let me share my honest opinion about San Diego's topography. As I've stated previously, San Diego's beaches are about the most overrated beaches in the United States. I don't even think they're in the top 5 within California. That's probably the most honest thing anyone's said thus far in this thread about San Diego's scenery. I've traveled to enough US beaches to feel confident in stating that. But I'd bet you wouldn't consider that as honest a description of San Diego's setting that you have ever read although it's about as honest as vegaspilgrim's or your view of Denver's scenery.

Lastly, stating that posts are only worthy of a response if they don't mention number of highrises and population density is ridiculous. These characteristics are what makes cities, you know, cities. You seem to be stuck on natural scenery considering the ocean seems to be San Diego's strong point. Don't let your homerism disregard important facts like density, # of highrises, tallest buildings, etc. just because these are Denver's strong points. Some would argue that natural scenery is the least important aspect of what makes a city a city. But to each his own. Each city has strong points and weak points but I feel you're really reaching to put San Diego on top.

When skimming through this thread, it's basically two pages of facts and thirteen pages of why San Diego's scenery is so great in comparison. It's all relative. To someone in Honolulu, San Diego looks like a dump. The topic is Denver vs. San Diego, not Denver scenery vs. San Diego Scenery. Aspects like highrises and density are just as important a topic as any.
San Diego is denser than Denver what's so hard to understand about that?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-up View Post
sdurbanite..

I mostly agree with this. Especially the last two paragraphs. I feel like whenever Denvers strong point are discusses, it always gets deemed as irrelevant, then it always goes back to SD's scenery (as if it is the only topic to discuss).

Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Stop trolling. Everyone knows that Denver is a tier above San Diego in both stature and prominence. San Diego will never have the regional control Denver has due to it's location. Sorry, It'll never happen so move on. Denver is the regional hub city for practically all of it's surrounding states. San Diego isn't even the largest city in it's region of California, that would be LA. Denver is extremely important for the central-west region of the United States. San Diego is barley a blip on the screen.

EDIT:
And I'm not exactly sure what your angle with Portland is but that city is more dense and more vibrant than both San Diego and Denver combined. Not to mention Portland's light rail system should be the model for ALL light rail systems.

Last edited by Back-up; 07-17-2012 at 01:34 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Oh boy...This thread is just going in circles. This has been discussed before, & everyone came to an agreement that it's close.

Now...can somebody tell me more about Balboa Park?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
It isn't. San Diego isn't denser in it's downtown build, street pedestrian presence, or in population (this has been addressed numerous times). Denver trumps San Diego in all city categories, period. Anyone that says otherwise has never been to Denver or they're a blind, trolling homer such as yourself. What's so hard to understand about that?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 AM

Pictures speak louder this is an aerial of denver

http://www.bylandwaterandair.com/ima...wntown_air.jpg

http://www.roachphotos.com/images/ga...lor-aerial.jpg

this is San Diego

http://twistedsifter.sifter.netdna-c...ium-aerial.jpg

http://yalumbastories.files.wordpres...ego-aerial.jpg

do you see how much more packed in San Diego is? Sure Denver might have a couple of taller buildings but what about the surrounding area? Anyone can clearly see how lifeless and unappealing denver gets right after you leave the tall buildings, parking lots everywhere, huge areas with nothing, San Diego is much more vibrant and developed in contrast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City