Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City "feels" the Most Urban/Metropolitan Nashville, Oklahoma City, or Indianapolis?
Nashville 95 48.72%
Oklahoma City 12 6.15%
Indianapolis 88 45.13%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 04:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis >>>> Nashville >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Oklahoma City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:42 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
I agree. I know we're both Nashvillians and others may see us as boosters, but with all the new development since 2012, there's no way someone can argue Indianapolis has the edge in urbanism. Nashville has a bigger (not necessarily better) and more quickly growing downtown, plus you don't see anything on the same scale as the Gulch, SoBro, Midtown/West End or East Nashville in Indianapolis either. I'd still give Indy the edge when it comes to the cohesiveness or the metro as a whole. Nashville becomes a patchy, sprawly mess when you exit the interior of town and one entire side of town has no development at all - only hills. Downtown Nashville is actually on the edge of the city.
Agreed Nashville win's here current day hands down!!! If you would have asked this question like in 90's and early 2000's, me taking trips from Georgia to Chicago which I have done pretty much all my life to see family. I would have said Indianapolis had the edge big time back then. It still feels more dense current day in the city due to the Midwest feel and build in Indy but it just doesn't have that growth and edge Nashville has current day Downtown or Metro wise in spite of Nashville being a sprawl beast, which most sunbelt Cities are to be honest.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:44 PM

828 posts, read 649,359 times
Nashville probably a bit over Indy>>>>>>>>>>>>>OKC

Old 04-09-2018, 06:12 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Isn't okc one of the "least urban" major cities. I know in that other thread I started people where saying that. Either way I'd say Nashville edges out Indy.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 04-09-2018 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 06:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Isn't old one of the "least urban" major cities. I know in that other thread I started people where saying that. Either way I'd say Nashville edges out Indy.
Yeah OKC shouldn't even be in this conversation. It doesn't even come close to either Indy or Nashville.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
What amenities does Nashville have that Indianapolis doesn't. It's been a number of years since being in Indianapolis so I don't know. I keep reading about a feeling in Nashville. I am in Nashville several times a year and don't find it urban but very congested traffic isn't a measure of the quality of urban life in a city. I would love to see population comparison, workforce, # of clubs and restaurants. I can remember Indianapolis not too long ago having a top 10 downtown ranking.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Indianapolis >>>> Nashville >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Oklahoma City.
Do you really think that? Have you been to Nashville? They have a larger and more urban central city than Indy does.

I would agree that OKC is distant third though.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:04 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Do you really think that? Have you been to Nashville? They have a larger and more urban central city than Indy does.
I have, and I really didn’t think so. Maybe it’s colored by how intensely I dislike Nashville, but the actual “urban” part, such as it was, seemed smaller to me than what I would call urban in Indy. Especially on a neighborhood and residential level.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
I have, and I really didn’t think so. Maybe it’s colored by how intensely I dislike Nashville, but the actual “urban” part, such as it was, seemed smaller to me than what I would call urban in Indy. Especially on a neighborhood and residential level.
I think they are pretty close, I guess I'm just thinking Nashville's midtown area pushes it past Indy. Nashville seems like they are doing considerably more urban core construction than Indy, but that may be somewhat of an illusion since much of Nashville's new construction is in high rise towers, while in Indy it's more low rise type structures. I would agree that the single family residential areas of Indy feel a little more dense or urban than Nashville.

As far as that goes, OKC has some pretty impressive urban single family neighborhoods. It's just their downtown that doesn't really compare well to Indy or Nashville.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:05 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I have never understood the Nashville love.

I lived in Indy for three years. The downtown is excellent. Most tourists are only in downtown Nashville on lower Broadway. I went to a Preds game last March. I had an incredibly tough time finding a place for a quick bite to eat. I didn't want fancy. I didn't want to go to a honky tonk. There honestly weren't that many options I could find quickly. There are numerous places in downtown Indy.

It was much easier to park in Indy. Parking was also cheaper. I haven't spent a lot of time in the urban Nashville neighborhoods, but I hear they are good.

All things considered, I'd rather live in Indy, then Nashville, then OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City