Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,709 times

Advertisements

Only mention the cities that you have been to please. So what city that you have visited or lived before felt boring to you.

From the cities that I have visited I have to say Baltimore. I was there for a weekend. And maybe I did not visited the right places. But the only exciting place of that city I found was the waterfront. I ask a few 'local' people if they recommended other parts of the city to visit and hang out, but their responses were that there was nothing else. Now Baltimore does have a nice waterfront area and much better than some other cities I have been, but I felt like it was all just a big tourist trap sort of place. For a city that seems big I was expecting more things to see and do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
Washington, D.C.

Seaford, Delaware

Newark, New Jersey

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Old 12-19-2008, 02:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
I'm not knocking any of those places - especially D.C. There's a lot to do. I actually lived in D.C. and frequented Alexandria, Virginia and Rockville, Maryland in addition to places in D.C.

Obvioulsy Washington has its own excitement. It's just that for me it paled in comparison to NYC and after a while, I got bored.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 PM

91 posts, read 428,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Only mention the cities that you have been to please. So what city that you have visited or lived before felt boring to you.

From the cities that I have visited I have to say Baltimore. I was there for a weekend. And maybe I did not visited the right places. But the only exciting place of that city I found was the waterfront. I ask a few 'local' people if they recommended other parts of the city to visit and hang out, but their responses were that there was nothing else. Now Baltimore does have a nice waterfront area and much better than some other cities I have been, but I felt like it was all just a big tourist trap sort of place. For a city that seems big I was expecting more things to see and do.
As someone who has lived here a little while, I would have to disagree with Baltimore being boring, but you are correct in your assessment. Lots of people here for a short time never get past the Inner Harbor tourist area. Depending on your interest there is a decent amount going on beside that. There are multiple pub/shopping districts in Fells Point, Canton, Federal Hill, Charles Village, Hampden, and Mount Vernon. There are quite a few music venues and a vibrant "underground" art scene that has spawned quite a few local and national bands in the past few years. We have pro football and baseball teams and a few big parks.

I can see how it can look boring after a big place like NYC but it's not half bad. I am looking to move out of the area for someplace new but I can find things to do on any weekend here.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,983 times
Atlanta. I don't really see the appeal. VERY boring.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:21 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Oklahoma City, and Amarillo Texas. Both cities did nothing--and I mean absolutely nothing--for me.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Portland, Maine. I went to college there for 2 years. It's a very nice city, don't get me wrong. But like Miles said, when you come from a very large city, a lot of places can get boring after a while. There's Old Port in downtown Portland, but you get tired of going there after about 5 times. The only other exciting place is the Maine mall lol. I like to go visit, but could never live there.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Dalzell, SC

Old 12-19-2008, 02:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
Hartford CT

not trying to knock Hartford but its seems like its got a lot of potential and is probably the best "true" city in CT. they need to get more people to live downtown so that bars, restaurants and music venues stay open. they've actually got cool bars and music venues (is the webster still there?)
right now, i usually go to New Haven to have fun. and Bridgeport is a wasteland.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
As someone who has lived here a little while, I would have to disagree with Baltimore being boring, but you are correct in your assessment. Lots of people here for a short time never get past the Inner Harbor tourist area. Depending on your interest there is a decent amount going on beside that. There are multiple pub/shopping districts in Fells Point, Canton, Federal Hill, Charles Village, Hampden, and Mount Vernon. There are quite a few music venues and a vibrant "underground" art scene that has spawned quite a few local and national bands in the past few years. We have pro football and baseball teams and a few big parks.

I can see how it can look boring after a big place like NYC but it's not half bad. I am looking to move out of the area for someplace new but I can find things to do on any weekend here.
I agree...Baltimore is one of my favorite cities in the world.

But - any city can be boring if you don't take advantage of what it has to offer. I could go to NYC and sit in a hotel room for the weekend, then come home and tell everyone how boring it was. Information is SO readily available on the internet about every city and the things to see and do there...and every city from large to small has something interesting to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City