U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best option in comparing these two?
Louisville 14 19.44%
Memphis 12 16.67%
Nashville 46 63.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,346,814 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I was just thinking i would do a thread about these three fantastic southern cities. I recently drove through these three cities going to a small town in mississippi. I never drove in the south so i was just wondering how these cities compare to each other. The only thing i really know about these three cities is that nashville is known for music and louisville( hope im spelling it right) is known for its horses i think, and Memphis is known for its food, i dont know if thats it or not so thats why i decided to make this thread just to compare and get some basic facts!

Here is the criteria...
Things to do:
Food:
Economy:
Schools:
Universities:
Suburbs:
Climate:
Music scene:
Transportation:
Shopping:
I hope you guys like this thread, i dont really care if i only get like two post anything would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 PM

o and plz excuse my spelling at the top i dont read anything i wrote!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 AM

6,454 posts, read 10,474,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
I was just thinking i would do a thread about these three fantastic southern cities.
If you think Louisville is "southern", then I would suggest adding Indianapolis and Cincinnati to this thread as well.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 AM

1,728 posts, read 2,185,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
If you think Louisville is "southern", then I would suggest adding Indianapolis and Cincinnati to this thread as well.
Umm, while it obviously isn't in the deep south, it is Southern. What would you call it exactly? You mentioned Indy and Cincinnati, do you think it is Midwestern or something? If so you should know that you are by far in the minority here...

Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Then what is it midwestern because nobody sure doesnt consider it midwestern or east coast so i guess you think louisville belongs in the west coast with salt lake city and los angeles, okay yeah you make perfect sense!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 AM

404 posts, read 669,291 times
Food: Louisville. They have a remarkable amount of great independent restaurants for a city its size.
Economy: Nashville.
Schools: Louisville. A lot of good private schools (St. X, Trinity, etc.) and some good publics as well (Manual, Oldham County).
Universities. Nashville. Vanderbilt is one of the best schools in the country.
Suburbs: Louisville.
Climate: Nashville.
Location: Memphis. On the Mississippi and very centralized in the continental U.S.
Downtown: Nashville. So many bars and restaurants and overall very nice.
Music Scene: Memphis. I prefer blues to country.
Transportation: Memphis. None have great public transit, but Memphis has a hub airport.
Shopping: Nashville.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM

6,454 posts, read 10,474,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Umm, while it obviously isn't in the deep south, it is Southern. What would you call it exactly? You mentioned Indy and Cincinnati, do you think it is Midwestern or something? If so you should know that you are by far in the minority here...
I'm not all that concerned with minority vs majority opinions here. When it comes to culture, built environment, economics, industry, geography, history, demographics, weather patterns, politics etc; Louisville has more in common with Cincinnati and Indianapolis than it does with any true southern city. Just because it is located south of the Ohio River means little to nothing when it comes to what really matters in determining a true southern city.

Wiki explains it best....

"Some sources treat Southern Indiana as essentially the upper tip of Upland South culture while others maintain that Southern culture, while significant, is not dominant in the region. Louisville is viewed as culturally and economically Midwestern in some analyses, because it rapidly industrialized during the late 19th century (although not to the same extent as most northern cities), as opposed to the slow industrialization that occurred in the South. Other observers consider Louisville to be southern culturally, due to dialect and various other aspects of culture. It is often described as both "the Gateway to the South" and "the northernmost Southern city and southernmost Northern city." Unlike the remainder of the state, Louisville, Covington, and Newport received large amounts of German immigrants due to manufacturing interests on the Ohio river, thus making the culture there somewhat distinct from the rest of the state. Had Kentucky been a free-state, prior to the Civil War, it would have likely drawn more German immigration, as there was usually a relatively small number of slaves in the areas where Germans did settle"
Culture of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^Clearly the argument can go both ways.

Nashville vs Memphis
Being that Louisville is N/A, let's look at Nashville vs Memphis. I know I might upset a few Nashville folks here, but IMO Nashville is highly overrated. I had a MUCH better time hitting up the clubs in Memphis. Don't get me wrong, Nashville is fun and it is by no means all country like it is hyped up to be. However from personal experiences, I'd much rather go to Memphis for a party. I will say this though, I did enjoy the nightlife in Nashville better than I enjoy the nightlife in Charlotte (just wanted to put that out there).

Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 PM

640 posts, read 1,069,110 times
If you ever meet someone from Louisville, listen to them talk and try to argue it's not a Southern city.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM

9,768 posts, read 19,472,589 times
I haven't been to any of them with the exception of just passing through Louisville on I-64. If I had a choice to visit I'd take Nashville. It just seems interesting with a bit more notoriety than the other two for a tourist with the music scene and it's probably the next metro area in the South to cross the threshold into big league city territory.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,742,452 times
Louisville is aesthetically midwest but the underlining culture is undeniable more southern than Indianapolis and Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City