Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Bingo. If this was the 1980's there would be no question. Manhattan was a dangerous place to be back in the 70's-80's. It had the highest crime statistics of any of the 5 boroughs, which is why some foreigners still have the "Oh if you go to Manhattan you're going to get mugged" stereotype.
I've found a lot of Japanese people assume you'll be shot at if you visit New York City (although weirdly, a lot of them want to go anyway). They also assume every American owns a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Kind of off topic, but I recently visited Manhattan a few months ago after haven't been there since about 1990 (I just couldn't take seeing the aftermath of the 9/11 destruction) and was floored by how different it was. Especially Chinatown and Times Square (which was pretty much empty and still full of peep shows last I saw). Some would say the changes were good (and I suppose they are), but I felt a kind of pinch at my heart for the old Manhattan of my childhood. Oh well.

For those who don't remember:

Dirty Seedy Old Times Square and 42nd St. ("The Deuce") before gentrification - YouTube
Yeah, you're not the only one. I hear that sentiment a lot. Since my earliest memories of New York are probably from the mid-90s, I have no desire to see seedy New York (although the pushing out of some immigrant groups is sad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Like this view:

alphabet.jpg (image)
Wow. Hard to believe that is Lower Manhattan. I'm obviously of the generation that WaronXmas is referring to that has only seen NYC in the 00s.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Like this view:

alphabet.jpg (image)
Yup, and like this.

Loisaida (Lower East Side) 1984

Loisaida today (It's not that to me anymore, should be renamed Yuppieville)

Both shots are from the same rooftop. VIVA LOISAIDA

Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
I knew I saw the US Bank building in the background in one of the scenes during the Dark Knight Rises.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Not really the same, especially since Chicago is a real city.
New York is a real city. "Gotham" is one of its many nicknames, including the Big Apple, the City That Never Sleeps and the Melting Pot. Duh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_New_York#N

http://www.nyc10best.com/culture-his...w-york-city/2/

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/attra...knames-history

Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The only place in America named "Gotham" is in Wisconsin. Your argument is past weak.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York is a real city. "Gotham" is one of its many nicknames, including the Big Apple, the City That Never Sleeps and the Melting Pot. Duh!

List of city nicknames in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm suspicious of a source that lists one of New York City's nicknames as Hymietown.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
The only place in America named "Gotham" is in Wisconsin. Your argument is past weak.
And the only place in America named "The Windy City" is...well...there is no place in America named "The Windy City." I guess Chicago doesn't exist, eh?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Wait, are you seriously saying you've never heard NYC referred to as Gotham in a non-Batman context?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Wait, are you seriously saying you've never heard NYC referred to as Gotham in a non-Batman context?
He's saying that Gotham is not a real place; therefore, the inspiration for the fictitious Gotham City could not have possibly derived from a real city such as New York (but naturally, it could have derived from Chicago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City