Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
But why did you stop at 15??? why not 50 like you did for Under grads?
Had to go on my lunch break so lazy. I owe you one and by that I mean a top 50 for all those.

2013 Best schools for Business
1. Harvard
2. Stanford
3. UPenn
4. MIT
4. Northwestern
4. University of Chicago
7. Berkeley
8. Columbia
9. Dartmouth
10. Yale
11. NYU
12. Duke
13. Ann Arbor
13. UVirginia
15. UCLA
16. Cornell
17. UT Austin
18. Carnegie Mellon
19. Emory
19. Chapel Hill
21. USC
22. Wash U St. Louis
23. Bloomington
24. Georgetown
25. OSU
25. Rice
25. Notre Dame
25. Madison
25. Vanderbilt
30. ASU
30. Minnesota Twin Cities
32. Georgia Tech
32. Texas A&M
34. Brigham
35. University of Washington
36. UC Davis
37. Boston College
37. Boston University
37. Urbana Champaign
37. University of Rochester
37. UT Dallas
42. Purdue
43. Tulane
44. Michigan State
44. PSU
44. University of Florida
44. Wake Forest
49. UC Irvine
49. University of Iowa

2013 best schools for engineering
1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Berkeley
4. Georgia Tech
5. Caltech
5. Urbana-Champaign
7. Carnegie Mellon
8. Ann Arbor
8. UT Austin
10. Cornell
10. Purdue
12. Texas A&m
12. USC
14. UCSD
15. Columbia
16. UCLA
17. Madison
18. Maryland College Park
19. Harvard
19. Northwestern
21. Princeton
21. UC Santa Barbara
23. UPenn
24. Virginia Tech
25. PSU
26. Johns Hopkins
26. University of Washington
28. Duke
28. Minnesota Twin Cities
30. OSU
31. NCSU
31. Rice
31. UC Davis
34. Yale
35. Boulder
35. University of Florida
35. Vanderbilt
38. Boston University
39. UC Irvine
39. University of Virginia
41. University of Rochester
42. Renssalear
43. ASU
43. ISU
43. Lehigh
46. Brown
47. Case Western Reserve
47. University of Pittsburgh
49. Michigan State
49. Rutgers
49. University of Arizona
49. Notre Dame
49. Wash U St. Louis

2013 best medical schools
1. Harvard
2. Johns Hopkins
2. UPenn
4. Stanford
4. UCSF
6. Wash U St. Louis
7. Yale
8. Columbia
9. Duke
10. University of Chicago
10. Ann Arbor
10. University of Washington
13. UCLA
14. Vanderbilt
15. University of Pittsburgh
16. Cornell
16. UCSD
18. Mount Sinai
18. Northwestern
20. UTSWMC
21. Baylor
21. Emory
21. Chapel Hill
24. Case Western
25. University of Virginia
26. NYU
27. Mayo Medical
27. Wisconsin Madison
29. University of Iowa
29. University of Rochester
31. Boston University
31. Dartmouth Medical
31. University of Alabama
34. USC
35. Brown
35. University of Colorado Denver
37. Oregon Health and Science University
37. University of Maryland
39. OSU
39. University of Minnesota
39. Yeshiva
42. UC Davis
42. Wake Forest
44. Tufts
44. UC Irvine
44. University of Cincinnati
47. Temple
48. Georgetown
48. IUI
48. UF
48. University of Massachusetts Worcester
48. University of Utah

2013 best law schools:
1. Yale
2. Stanford
3. Harvard
4. Columbia
5. University of Chicago
6. NYU
7. Berkeley
7. UPenn
7. UVirginia
10. Ann Arbor
11. Duke
12. Northwestern
13. Georgetown
14. Cornell
15. UCLA
16. UT Austin
16. Vanderbilt
18. USC
19. Minnesota Twin Cities
20. George Washington U
20. University of Washington
22. Notre Dame
23. Wash U St. Louis
24. Emory
24. Washington and Lee University
26. ASU
26. Boston U
26. Bloomington
29. Boston College
29. Fordham
29. University of Alabama
29. UC Davis
29. University of Iowa
34. University of Georgia
35. College of William and Mary
35. Urbana Champaign
35. Wisconsin Madison
38. Chapel Hill
39. Brigham
39. George Mason U
39. OSU
39. University of Maryland
43. University of Arizona
44. University of California (Hastings in San Francisco)
44. Boulder
44. Wake Forest
47. University of Utah
48. UF
49. American University
49. Pepperdine
Quote:
Because more Philly would have shown
I just took 45 minutes and expanded all the top 15s from before to top 50 and Phily gained nothing in any of those 4 whereas DC, LA, NYC, Boston, and Chicago did. You know the REAL top 5 with more than 1 school, unlike Phily which just has UPenn and that's it. You're a pragmatic liar, this is the second time I have caught you lying the first was when you tried to pass of Penn Charter as a top 50 highschool.
Quote:
not sure after Boston but would say NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA, SF would be the next set overall with DC and Atlanta maybe next
Actually DC certainly has more universities in the top 50 if you want to be a doctor, businessman, engineer, or lawyer, which isn't surprising because even in undergrad it has more top schools than Phily. Now that I think about it, even Atlanta has more top schools than Phily does so you're just a homer or you knew you were being intellectually dishonest the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
If we are putting heavier emphasis on universities, as I think we should, then it needs to be recognized that only Boston, Chicago and SF have two elite schools that are super-strong across both undergrad and most graduate programs.

LA has three great universities but one is primarily a science school and doesn't have any of the big graduate programs (business, law & medicine) while the other two are not quite as elite as the Ivies.

NYC has two great schools but NYU's undergrad is a bit of a weak link (though its graduate programs are top notch).

Philly has only one great university but makes up for it somewhat with great liberal arts colleges and sheer volume.

Thats why I put Chicago and SF ahead of those three.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Looks like Duke ranks well across the Board in Engineering, Business, Med and Law and in Undergrad. It looks like it really outperforms Rice, Emory, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt and Tulane in the South.

It still feels odd that the OP ranked Raleigh-Durham ahead of Philly though

Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal St. Paul View Post
Dude Philly should be on that list.. But w.e, I forgot it's a scratix list.
I wouldn't mind putting Phily a top 5 education capital if it deserved to be it. Yes UPenn is a BEAST school across the board, it truly is but it's the only noteworthy school in Phily. As much as it sucks to hear it but those schools that other Phily booster told me to look into I haven't heard of any of those besides Drexel and they rank poorly.

So if we had to put Phily in the top 5 then who do we take out?

1. Boston with its 7 top 50 schools in undergrad and beautiful colors across the board in every category of grad?

2. Chicago with its two powerful and globally influential universities, both place in the top 12 schools in the US?

3. LA for having the second best public school in the US with UCLA, a powerful second tier school with USC which is the westcoasts top dream school, or the powerful Caltech which is an equal to UPenn?

4. NYC even if we stop looking at the CSA it has the eastcoasts most desired dream school with NYU and an equally as impressive if not more impressive school in Columbia as compared to UPenn. Yeshiva, Rutgers, and a slew of other top 50 second tier schools. Looking at CSA Princeton and Yale just take it to the next level.

5. DC while nothing as powerful as UPenn it has a powerful collection with Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, George Washington, American University, and University of Maryland which are all top 50 undergrad schools and almost all of them place as top 50 in all those grad lists I posted.

6. The bay, I think its 5th and ahead of DC because it boasts the worlds best public university and one of the top 5 best schools in the US with Stanford an equal to UPenn. It has one other good school with UC Santa Cruz and after that no more top 50 or even top 100 schools in undergrad but at grad level has top 50's from UC and UCSF.

I cant put Phily in the top 5, it would be intellectually dishonest for me to put reject schools like Jefferson or Villanova on the pedestal of Georgetown or University of Maryland. If you can, more power to you, but I just cant.
Quote:
It still feels odd that the OP ranked Raleigh-Durham ahead of Philly though
I consider Duke about the same level as UPenn, maybe slightly lower but unlike Phily the NCR area of NC has a great second tier school in Chapel Hill which Phily has no answer to. To be an education capital you need more than just one good school no matter how good it is, you need a few good schools, and you need more than just sweeping elite liberal art schools.

Last edited by scrantiX; 07-30-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 PM

I'm a bit disappointed that my alma mater UCSD slipped from #5 public university to #8.

Public schools if anyone cares http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ies/top-public

Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
From the ten largest Metros DFW and Miami seem to be weak on most of these lists.

I think Dallas is the biggest MSA with no top 50 nationally ranked schools.

Neither has a top 50 ranked Law school or Engineering School (didn't see Miami on the Business and Med School list Scrantix posted either)

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
No list for computer science?? Or is that just grouped with Engineering?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:21 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
From the ten largest Metros DFW and Miami seem to be weak on most of these lists.

I think Dallas is the biggest MSA with no top 50 nationally ranked schools.

Neither has a top 50 ranked Law school or Engineering School (didn't see Miami on the Business and Med School list Scrantix posted either)
Doesn't Miami have a lower percentage of adults holding bachelor degrees?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:33 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I cant put Phily in the top 5, it would be intellectually dishonest for me to put reject schools like Jefferson or Villanova on the pedestal of Georgetown or University of Maryland. If you can, more power to you, but I just cant.
You do realize that Johns Hopkins is in Baltimore, right? I find it a bit of a stretch to put that into DC's sphere of influence (although I realize you're going by a CSA measure).

Also, part of the problem is you're comparing apples to oranges. Villanova is definitely a top tier school for undergrad, although it does not have robust offerings for its graduate programs. Hence it's incomparable and hard to truly rank against schools like Georgetown or UM: Regional University North Rankings | Top Regional Universities North | US News Best Colleges

Jefferson is a medical school only. It also would not be accurate to compare to the aforementioned schools.

It is also worth mentioning that individual programs rank differently within schools, which is why it's not entirely accurate to say that School X is necessarily better than School Y.

As an example, US News ranks Temple University's medical research program on par with Georgetown's, although their undergrad rankings are certainly not on par:
Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools

Jefferson's primary care program is also on par with Georgetown and UM:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ankings/page+3

Obviously, these are just two examples, but it's important to note that US News rankings are definitely not as cut-and-dry -- nor are they even the sole measure of educational quality -- as you're making them out to be.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-30-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM

77 posts, read 149,411 times
Again, I think people are putting far too much emphasis on the USNWR rankings (e.g., there is a large drop off in law school and B-school quality after the top band -- w/r/t law: arguing whether George Mason is better than American U a useless exercise. Both are regional schools. Both have abysmal employment prospects.) There are better ways to evaluate schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City