U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,725,311 times

Advertisements

I have a nostalgia for education capitals.

We'll use PCSAs for what schools are in each city's bucket. Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boston as always boasts the #1 school in the country again for the 300th year in a row, so I think it deserves to be #1 but only barely because the NYC area sweeps positions #2, #3, and #4 before Boston's reemergence with #5.

1. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH
#1 Harvard
#5 MIT
#15 Brown
#29 Tufts
#31 Boston College
#31 Brandeis
#53 Boston University

Reserve in top 75- #62 Northeastern and #62 Worcester Polytechnic Institute

2. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA
#2 Princeton
#3 Yale
#4 Columbia
#33 NYU
#45 Yeshiva
#53 Fordham

Reserve in top 75- #68 Rutgers

3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA
#5 Caltech
#23 USC
#25 UCLA
#45 UC Irvine
#55 Pepperdine

4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI
#5 University of Chicago
#12 Northwestern

4. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA
#5 Stanford
#21 Berkeley

Reserve top 75- #75 Santa Cruz

4. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV
#13 Johns Hopkins
#22 Georgetown
#50 George Washington
#55 College Park

5. Raleigh-Durham-Cary, NC
#10 Duke
#29 Chapel Hill

National University | Rankings | Data | US News

Although DC has more schools in the top 55 than the bay and Chicago both of Chicago's schools outrank the first of DC's best and the bay's Berkeley is underappreciated but I can live with that because Stanford is still higher than any of DC's best schools and Berkeley is higher than Georgetown.

Was considering Atlanta as it has multiple schools in the top 55 but I don't think its top 5 level, top 10 sure and I would put it at #6.

6. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL
#20 Emory
#36 Georgia Tech

First two Boston and NYC are obvious and I think either can make a case to be #1 but Boston has 7 to NYC's 6 but 3-5 could be debated but those are without a doubt the only contenders for any top 5 list IMO.

Last edited by scrantiX; 07-30-2012 at 04:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,417,761 times
Philadelphia has to be up there as well. Between Penn, Villanova, Temple, St. Joe's and Drexel form a solid collection.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 AM

18,509 posts, read 30,938,696 times
I would rank Philly above Chicago, especially when you take professional schools into account. Anywhere'sville USA can have a good undergrad, but its usually the top notch metros that have a plethora of Professional schools.

In Texas for Example in smaller cities like Waco, and College station there are top 100 schools. But neither of these cities have a medical school or a Law school.

I would definitely factor in Advanced Education into the mix, even though Boston would still come out on top.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 AM

5,868 posts, read 9,012,809 times
This list does not at all account for smaller, liberal arts colleges, which are also a crucial aspect of the higher education sector.

Including universities and prestigious liberal arts/specialty colleges, I'd rank the educational capitals as the following:

1. Boston
2. New York
3. Philadelphia
3. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
5. Chicago
5. Washington, DC

Last edited by Duderino; 07-30-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Including universities and prestigious liberal arts/specialty colleges, I'd rank the educational capitals as the following:
Very interesting Duderino!

So according to you, now I don't want to put any words in your mouth or anything, but lets only look at liberal arts colleges! Let's completely ignore that Phily has 1 school in the top 50 unlike all the other cities mentioned and 2 in the top 75 when University of Delaware joins UPenn.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM

22,402 posts, read 35,916,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Very interesting Duderino!

So according to you, now I don't want to put any words in your mouth or anything, but lets only look at liberal arts colleges! Let's completely ignore that Phily has 1 school in the top 50 unlike all the other cities mentioned and 2 in the top 75 when University of Delaware joins UPenn.

Or you could just ignore Liberal Arts and Grad Schools pick your poison...

Am sure you will pick the one that paints Philly in a lower light. Something to be said for consistency though

Enjoy your tirade...

Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,174,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I would rank Philly above Chicago, especially when you take professional schools into account. Anywhere'sville USA can have a good undergrad, but its usually the top notch metros that have a plethora of Professional schools.

In Texas for Example in smaller cities like Waco, and College station there are top 100 schools. But neither of these cities have a medical school or a Law school.

I would definitely factor in Advanced Education into the mix, even though Boston would still come out on top.
Baylor has a law school in Waco.
Not that I think Waco belongs on the list! LOL.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM

18,509 posts, read 30,938,696 times
what's going on with UCLA? Used to be it ranked about 12th.

Now it is down to 25??? The 5th Highest Rankled school in California and the 3rd in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Baylor has a law school in Waco.
Oh yeah. Forgot about Baylor Law.

But you get what I mean, Looking at just undergrad would yield deceiving results in favor of college towns

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

k. Grad schools. T15

2013 Best schools for Business
1. Harvard
2. Stanford
3. UPenn
4. MIT
4. Northwestern
4. University of Chicago
7. Berkeley
8. Columbia
9. Dartmouth
10. Yale
11. NYU
12. Duke
13. Ann Arbor
13. UVirginia
15. UCLA

So for cities:
Boston- 2
NYC- 3
Chicago- 2
LA- 1
The bay- 2
Phily- 1

Chicago wins here

Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

2013 best schools for engineering
1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Berkeley
4. Georgia Tech
5. Caltech
5. Urbana-Champaign
7. Carnegie Mellon
8. Ann Arbor
8. UT Austin
10. Cornell
10. Purdue
12. Texas A&m
12. USC
14. UCSD
15. Columbia

#19 Northwestern
#23 UPenn

Boston- 1
LA- 2
NYC- 1
The bay- 2
Chicago- 0
Phily- 0

Chicago wins, Northwestern finishes higher.

Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

2013 best law schools:
1. Yale
2. Stanford
3. Harvard
4. Columbia
5. University of Chicago
6. NYU
7. Berkeley
7. UPenn
7. UVirginia
10. Ann Arbor
11. Duke
12. Northwestern
13. Georgetown
14. Cornell
15. UCLA

NYC- 3
Boston- 1
Chicago- 2
Phily- 1
DC- 1
LA- 1
The bay- 2

Chicago wins

Best Law School Rankings | Law Program Rankings | US News

2013 best medical schools
1. Harvard
2. Johns Hopkins
2. UPenn
4. Stanford
4. UCSF
6. Wash U St. Louis
7. Yale
8. Columbia
9. Duke
10. University of Chicago
10. Ann Arbor
10. University of Washington
13. UCLA
14. Vanderbilt
15. University of Pittsburgh

Phily wins since it has the higher ranking school between it and Chicago

Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools

Phily has a great school with UPenn but its the only school it has that finishes well for programs that actually have futures. LOL duderino basing education capitals off of only liberal arts programs because that's the only area where Phily beats NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, or the bay. Not good enough to beat Boston, NYC, LA, Chicago, or the bay to be in the top 5 for business, law, engineering, and medical. Sorry. LOL

Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Or you could just ignore Liberal Arts and Grad Schools pick your poison...

Am sure you will pick the one that paints Philly in a lower light. Something to be said for consistency though

Enjoy your tirade...
LOL kidphily!

I don't have to pick anything to put Phily in lower light, it does well on that without me! I hate the entire eastern half of the US but didn't do anything to put those cities in lower light so it must be a Phily only conspiracy right? Both undergrad and grad schools.

Enjoy the facts kid. Phily cant be a top 5 education capital with UPenn alone. As the grad ranks have proven its Phily's only good school and as undergrad shows its an island of education in Phily because the next best school is #75 University of Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>