Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: This city is much better than being led to believe ...
Baltimore 15 19.23%
Boston 7 8.97%
DC 6 7.69%
LA 19 24.36%
Philadelphia 23 29.49%
San Francisco 5 6.41%
Seattle 3 3.85%
Sunbelt cities 22 28.21%
Other 17 21.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 PM

214 posts, read 410,691 times

Advertisements

Like many of you, I love the banter and ebb-n-flow of City Data. However, certain cities seemingly get a bad rap based on stereotypes, media, previous history, and unfortunate past events. Is there one particular city that gets an unfair bias? These are the cities that I have identified as the ones that appear on CD to have the most negative (undeserved stigma) attached to their profile. Below are the areas that appear to have the most scrutiny and love/hate relationship.

Baltimore (media portrayal)
Boston (70s busing & provincial mentality)
DC (90s crime)
LA (gangs & sprawl)
Philadelphia (media portrayal)
San Francisco (cost & liberal politics)
Seattle (weather)
Sunbelt cities (conservative politics & sprawl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
Detroit.

Hang around online and check out some of the Forbes lists the kinds of things people say about Detroit and it's people is absurd. Americans act like those that live there are savage animals rolling around in mutant like toxic waste and outcasts when in reality those people that live there are still people, equal to all others, and should be respected as such at the end of the day. Detroit by FAR and nothing will ever come 100 miles close to a reputation as unfair as that, no other city has leaders across the United States comparing it to Hiroshima and people all over saying drop the atom. It's brutal. Detroit, Oregon wanted to change it's name so it wouldn't get confused with Detroit, Michigan.

Everyone else in comparison is just (bleep)ing about some uncanny criticisms for no reason.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,911,351 times
Salt Lake City. There are so many wonderful qualities about SLC but everything seems to be overshadowed by people's fear of the dreaded Mormons.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Salt Lake City. There are so many wonderful qualities about SLC but everything seems to be overshadowed by people's fear of the dreaded Mormons.
Funny you said Salt Lake City. I was there on Monday and Tuesday and its not at all a bad place. It's the second time I've passed through in the past 4 months. Its a mix between Denver and maybe Portland. I could be off a bit but you see where I'm going with this.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Detroit.

Hang around online and check out some of the Forbes lists the kinds of things people say about Detroit and it's people is absurd. Americans act like those that live there are savage animals rolling around in mutant like toxic waste and outcasts when in reality those people that live there are still people, equal to all others, and should be respected as such at the end of the day. Detroit by FAR and nothing will ever come 100 miles close to a reputation as unfair as that, no other city has leaders across the United States comparing it to Hiroshima and people all over saying drop the atom. It's brutal. Detroit, Oregon wanted to change it's name so it wouldn't get confused with Detroit, Michigan.
WOW! I've been to Detroit, but it's always been on business and I stayed downtown. I should have listed it in the poll. I didn't know people were still down on it after the automobile industry started to make a comeback.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times
I would have to add Detroit and St. Louis.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 PM

I posted this link in another thread. Perhaps the bias for many of these places we discuss is a perception that the violence is widespread versus concentrated.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,981,233 times
Definitely Detroit. It really isn't a bad city. It has bad areas, but so does every major city.

Atlanta and Los Angeles are known for their sprawl. Even Phoenix to a point.

Southern cities such as Jackson, Birmingham and Montgomery are associated with racism.. to a point. The negative stereotype isn't as bad as it used to be. Especially in Alabama. At least as far as I have noticed.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 AM

587 posts, read 1,412,404 times
San Francisco carries heavy stereotypes of being overpopulated with gay people. SF also carries the inaccurate stereotype of being some pristine crime free city when it ranks as dead average in terms of crime when it comes to big cities. It is almost impossible to convince some people that SF has bad areas on par with the worst of Baltimore or Oakland in terms of crime. Most people make the dumb assumption that a higher or lower averaged crime/safety rating for an entire city means the entire city is "good" or "bad", which is oversimplified and downright idiotic. A ghetto area in a cosmopolitan city, like SF, is no different from a ghetto area in a ghetto satellite city, like Oakland. Ghetto cities like Oakland, Detroit and Baltimore just have more bad areas than good areas which accounts for a higher than average crime rate for the entire city. The SF-based California media does not publicize SF's dangerous high crime areas like Hunter's Point. SF's economy is based on tourism and publicizing high crime ghetto areas of the city would mean losing a ton of money. Also, SF puts on the facade that it is some universally tolerant utopia when Blacks living in San Francisco, as a whole, live in abject poverty residing in some of America's worst housing complexes that exist within the city limits.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,608,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
WOW! I've been to Detroit, but it's always been on business and I stayed downtown. I should have listed it in the poll. I didn't know people were still down on it after the automobile industry started to make a comeback.
People have been harping on Detroit since the 80s. The interesting part is the most vocal bashers are natives who moved away to Sunbelt cities. Maybe the cold harsh winters really got to them and now the sunlight is allowing them to vent their unexpressed feelings.

Oh, and for the most part, the success of the Big 3 really don't reflect in city limits any more. There's only two car plants and GM's HQ within the city limits. Most other factories and facilities as well as Ford and Chrysler's HQ's are located in suburban cities. The companies do occasionally make other small types of investments in the city, but overall their influence is not as big as you'd think.

Last edited by animatedmartian; 02-16-2013 at 02:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City