Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most recognized by the world
Boston 106 71.62%
Phily 42 28.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,976,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
After having lived in NYS, SoCal, and NorCal we would always hear of Boston for one reason or another. In NYS it was the notorious Red Sox-Yankees rivalry and I was always on the Red Sox side. In SoCal it was Lakers-Celtics rivalry which has always been notorious. In NorCal its the presence Boston has in media, particularly movies and the liberal progressive politics and even the hipster and yuppy scenes. Phily is practically unheard of or even less talked about in California.

Coming from your perspective, it's very strange you would make a thread about this. Why not Boston vs San Francisco? These two showcase cities would surely be a much more interesting debate, and posters from The Bay seem to love the notoriety.

I know I'm asking questions I already know the answer to and I don't expect an intelligent response from someone that creates a thread about two cities and doesn't research how to spell them lol.

For someone that claims to hate all things East Coast, you sure spend a lot of time posting and creating threads about cities here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,904,401 times
I can say that growing up on the West Coast I heard more about Boston, but even then had absolutely no idea where it was!

For some reason I though Portland, OR was on the east coast (because of Portland, ME, probably) and always thought Boston was where Portland should be (no explanation for that one). It always confused me why the Trailblazers were in the Western Conference and the Celtics in the Eastern

Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM

2,342 posts, read 4,001,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So outside of NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, Boston, SF (or smaller tourist places like Orlando and LV or even a Miami in this regard) which would be proven to be moreso?

Maybe Atlanta

Not sure any others would be more well known, maybe similar

Or if you went to Central America or Asia or Europe etc the answer may differ but again what would the plethora be
I asked you to prove it and you haven't. Site a link. Any link on tourism, films, politics, TV, anything that will prove Phily is one of the top 10 most known cities in the US today. Instead what do you do? You reply acting like its common sense that Phily is one of the most known, prove it. I don't buy your words.

NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando are all equally as known or more. See what I did here? I threw in the names of Atlanta and Dallas with no proof, just like the way you did, so now prove to me that Phily is more known than all of these cities. I have all the time in the world to assess your proof.

I am Chinese and no one in China knows or even cares about Phily, its the Nanjing of the US. Given that Phily's international tourism numbers are less than 700,000 I would guess that most people in the world outside of Europe don't know what Phily is and seeing as how its diversity is just a clip above Birmingham, AL (mostly white-black diversity) I am willing to say its true.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-06-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,910,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I dont disagree with most of what you say, just to me the Boston image is not as much on the movies (Departed vs say Rocky and I have never even heard of boondock saints let alone form an image from it) but on the whole agree that it is more well known (Boston probably indexes higher than most on that aspect)
It's not a very good movie overall. An ex of mine insisted on watching it; she was sure I'd like it because it's set in Boston; is about Irish Catholics (I'm not Irish and not religious, but my family is Catholic); and is violent. It was like a lame, overdone Tarantino ripoff. BUT, I've heard people mention it plenty of times when talking about Boston.

Quote:
On the whole though would be better served from a better image like Boston IMHO
I don't disagree at all. Basically, Boston's image in the media is, for better or worse, that it's full of lawyers, politicians and elites who rove in a powerful, incestuous circle, and that it then has an underbelly of working-class white criminals. While both of these things are, indeed, true to one degree or another, they're played up in the media for the sake of sales and ratings.

FWIW, Miami probably has a bigger national presence than Boston, and certainly has a bigger international presence, and it's smaller still.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 PM

857 posts, read 1,370,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Sure!

Well, I already listed some movies... The Departed, Boondock Saints, Good Will Hunting, Mystic River. I can't think of a movie that has Philly as a backdrop, honestly.

TV-wise, Boston Public, Boston Legal, Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Boston Common (which was probably a bigger hit in Australia than in the US). Philly? It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Politics? Kennedys. Name me a Philadephian political dynasty that has shaped America or become a household name to that degree.

Sports? Really? The Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics... even out here in CA you see people wearing hats and shirts for those teams. Never see anything for the Phillies or Warrors.
Politically youre absolutely correct, I wasnt even thinking of it from a who has more politicans from either or which is why i couldnt see your point.

Now Sports (you can go back n forth with that) as i have friends in LA who are die hard eagles fans so thats really not as clear cut

Food, and ESPICALLY tv wise/movie wise there is no way boston is anywhere near the level of Philly in terms of recignition. Ive heard of Ally Mcbeal and the departed..but everything else?? Are those local shows?

I dont have time to name every tv show and move shot in Philly but off the top of my head
Movies-Rocky (are you serious?), Any M knight movie (The devil, sixth sense, the villiage) Philadelphia (The movie)The shooter
Tv shows- Parking Wars, Cold case files, Body of Proof, Its always sunny in philadelphia

Those are just off the top of my head for now..boston really doesnt have the chops to go head to head with Philly in terms of Tv/Movie recignition..and lets even start with music.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,887,020 times
Quote:
Boston has historical and vibrant black communities and an educated black community.
I must have missed that. We looked long and hard for a "vibrant" black community in Boston and usually ended up at Javon's in Providence.

Quote:
It's got a large Caribbean population who are actually, generally very well-integrated into society and aren't held as second-class citizens, and a growing East and South Asian population that's aided by the universities.
Boston has a large Caribbean population, but it's definitely pretty close to having second-class citizen status (along with other ethnic groups other than Irish and Italians). Boston is not superly overtly racist, but the fact that the city has never had a non-Irish, non-Italian or non-WASP mayor does say something about the political dynamics of the city.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:06 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,818,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Politically youre absolutely correct, I wasnt even thinking of it from a who has more politicans from either or which is why i couldnt see your point.

Now Sports (you can go back n forth with that) as i have friends in LA who are die hard eagles fans so thats really not as clear cut

Food, and ESPICALLY tv wise/movie wise there is no way boston is anywhere near the level of Philly in terms of recignition. Ive heard of Ally Mcbeal and the departed..but everything else?? Are those local shows?

I dont have time to name every tv show and move shot in Philly but off the top of my head
Movies-Rocky (are you serious?), Any M knight movie (The devil, sixth sense, the villiage) Philadelphia (The movie)The shooter
Tv shows- Parking Wars, Cold case files, Body of Proof, Its always sunny in philadelphia

Those are just off the top of my head for now..boston really doesnt have the chops to go head to head with Philly in terms of Tv/Movie recignition..and lets even start with music.

You can call me a a homer, but Boston beats Philly hands down for movies either shot there, or set there. It's not even close really.

TV shows sets or shot in Boston that I can think of are: Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Cheers, Crossing Jordan, Rizolli & Isles, Boston Legal, Fringe, St. Elsewhere(Spawned Denzel Washington's career) and The Practice.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,044,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I asked you to prove it and you haven't. Site a link. Any link on tourism, films, politics, TV, anything that will prove Phily is one of the top 10 most known cities in the US today. Instead what do you do? You reply acting like its common sense that Phily is one of the most known, prove it. I don't buy your words.

NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando are all equally as known or more. See what I did here? I threw in the names of Atlanta and Dallas with no proof, just like the way you did, so now prove to me that Phily is more known than all of these cities. I have all the time in the world to assess your proof.

I am Chinese and no one in China knows or even cares about Phily, its the Nanjing of the US.
well do you have a site or reference for this?

And you sure do seem interested in the discussion or at least to take every opportunity to downplay Philly, seems odd for someone that doesnt care actually.

I would be honestly surprised if not one of the billion plus people from China did not know of or even care about Philadelphia

for films there are plenty

for history there is a ton (see a ton of chineses nationals all over the city actually visiting the sites oddly enough)

And where did I say most known, I said there are likely only a few in the US more known (dont have a reference but also pretty sure that you dont either to refute it)

Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,910,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I must have missed that. We looked long and hard for a "vibrant" black community in Boston and usually ended up at Javon's in Providence.
You could've tried the Western Front in Cambridge. What you don't know about America outside of the black or Afro-Carib neighborhoods of NYC, Philly, and DC could fill up a very long and comical thread. Actually, it already has filled up a number of them...

Quote:
Boston has a large Caribbean population, but it's definitely pretty close to having second-class citizen status (along with other ethnic groups other than Irish and Italians). Boston is not superly overtly racist, but the fact that the city has never had a non-Irish, non-Italian or non-WASP mayor does say something about the political dynamics of the city.
Hey, ask the non-Irish, non-Italian, and non-WASP's who assist in voting them in.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,976,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You can call me a a homer, but Boston beats Philly hands down for movies either shot there, or set there. It's not even close really.

TV shows sets or shot in Boston that I can think of are: Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Cheers, Crossing Jordan, Rizolli & Isles, Boston Legal, Fringe, St. Elsewhere(Spawned Denzel Washington's career) and The Practice.
I do think Boston has more notoriety in The US and around the World but I would actually say more TV shows are filmed/based in Philly. I haven't heard of many of those shows listed above but for Philly:

American Bandstand, Dancin On Air, Boy Meets World, Philly, Hack, Cold Case, One Life to Live, Fat Albert, All My Children, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Parking Wars, Wreck Chasers, etc

And as for movies:
The Philadelphia Story, Marley and Me, Law Abiding Citizen, Transformers, Shooter, M Night Shymalan movies, Pride, Rocky, Invincible, National Treasure, In Her Shoes, Best In Show, Dawn of The Dead, Philadelphia, The Witness, Trading Places

And without question, Philadelphia has been more influential in music. I won't even get into that list.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-06-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City