Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for me
Norfolk, Va 4 18.18%
Houston, Tx 8 36.36%
Tampa, Fl 11 50.00%
Sacramento, Ca 6 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM

11 posts, read 12,806 times

Advertisements

It's between:

Sacramento,CA
Tampa, FL
Norfolk, Va
Houson, TX

I will be going to grad school at a University at one of these four cities next year. I like things about all of them, I have been to all, but only two for a extended amount of time. So I want you all to chime in, what city do you love or hate and why? I personally love the coast, surfing, fishing, kayaking, and I don't think I could live without MLB baseball at least close by. Ideally I would love a well known theme park near by (what I'm going for college in hope of working for). Sure I know thing but not in detail because I haven't lived at any, so fire away with questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 AM

51 posts, read 160,341 times
I would go with Houston. Tampa would be a distant second.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
It sounds like by your criteria Tampa would be the easy choice.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 12,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It sounds like by your criteria Tampa would be the easy choice.
I see you live in California, just curious why you wouldn't say Sacramento.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Based on your criteria, it would be Tampa then Norfolk second. Houston is the biggest city with the big city amenities and decent fishing. Sacramento is a great city but doesn't meet most of what you said you liked. If I were you I would choose the best school, they are all good places to live. Good Luck!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Based on your criteria, it would be Tampa then Norfolk second. Houston is the biggest city with the big city amenities and decent fishing. Sacramento is a great city but doesn't meet most of what you said you liked. If I were you I would choose the best school, they are all good places to live. Good Luck!
To be fair let me go into a little more detail for why Tampa and Norfolk are best.

Tampa:
1. Great beaches and kayaking. Also, it's warm pretty much year round, so you can enjoy the water more than 3 months per year.
2. A large Busch Gardens and Adventure Island is in Tampa. It's also one hour (speeding) to Disney World, Universal Studios, and the theme park megalopolis that is Orlando.
3. Tampa Bay Rays, so MLB is covered

Norfolk:
1. Virginia Beach as well as smaller waterfront areas everywhere for fishing etc.
2. Busch Gardens is in nearby Williamsburg and Kings Dominion is an hour and a half away and there are several smaller recreation area around nearby virginia beach
3. Norfolk has no MLB but has a big support with their Norfolk Tides AAA team

Houston:
1. Nearby Galveston could hold you over for beaches. Even still, there is no competition with Tampa or Norfolk in this area.
2. Astroworld is closed. Are there any other theme parks out there?
3. The Houston Astros???? Well, the Rockets got Jeremy Lin now. Let's just all watch basketball in this town.

Sacramento:
1. No beaches
2. No MLB
3. Never heard of any major theme parks around Sacramento, but I may need to defer to a local to verify.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Isn't Houston suppose to have a new theme park opening next year? Supposedly the first "Green" theme park called Earthquest Theme Adventures.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Isn't Houston suppose to have a new theme park opening next year? Supposedly the first "Green" theme park... called Earthquest Theme Adventures.
I would hope so. Houston is big and has the economy to justify a major theme park.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
San Francisco is not far from Sacramento to catch a Giant's or A's game. You get to watch 2 teams instead of 1 if you lived in Tampa or Houston. Plus it's a cool relief to get away from those hot Sacramento summer days.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Shouldn't the quality of the school and the reputation of the professors be the most important consideration ?

I think overall, University of Houston is generally considered the best of those schools (over USF, Norfolk State, and Sac State), but it probably varies somewhat by department.

Also, thinking of your future prospects, the Houston area may provide you the best contacts and the best employment opportunity.

Overall, I'd pick Houston, but that's based on a very incomplete knowledge of your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City