Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,874,566 times

Advertisements

I pretty much agree with mostly everybody here.

Austin is in a different category with its music scene. Nashville and Los Angeles are much more popular because they get the artists who will make it in the top charts.

Austin is more of an indy scene and because of it I don't think Austin will get favored by many people. It's true that there are indy scenes in LA and Nashville but the indy scene in Austin surpasses the two in that specific category. And I think that's how Austin would like to be known. It doesn't wanna make some top list if its gonna be hosting Lady Gaga or Katy Perry on big stage events. Nobody likes them there. They wanna bring out undiscovered talent that is sort of counter-establishment. Think about White Denim... then you have Austin. Austin used to be big with its blues music and it probably owes a huge credit to country music and blues for establishing it as a music city, but its not big on those types of music anymore.

So clearly it depends entirely what you're into... but pound for pound I would personally give it to LA. There are just so many artists that record there from hip-hop, to spanish rock, to christian music, to country music, to indy music...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,059,892 times
LA has a great local scene but this place is ridden with commercial types who just want bands to sell out so they can make profit.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Austin has never been known for being a city of establishment music industry. It is a city of undiscovered talent. Of music in its raw state. It doesn't need lists to prove anything. Because all lists will ever be is someone's opinion.
Yeah but in fairness... Austin is making list after list so many times and you can't say Austin doesn't care about any of them.

I do agree with you that lists can be bogus. There was that one recent list of music scenes and Austin didn't even make the top 10. Beverly Hills was #1. Obviously the list was bogus. I got it off some Austin website of lists it has made which also included Houston and Dallas top vegetarian cities above San Francisco. Go figure.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
LA has a great local scene but this place is ridden with commercial types who just want bands to sell out so they can make profit.
Living in San Francisco, I have so many friends who are in the music scene. My manager is actually in a band himself and he often tours to LA. From what I hear so many times is that the local scene in LA is still very competitive and its not the same easy going vibe that San Francisco even has.

There are plenty of bands I'm into that are from LA. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti is one of them. Anyways... those guys look a bit douchy... and its somewhat the impression I get out of LA. Everybody is just looking out for themselves and everyone is basically trying to meet someone just to use them in their favor in order to get out ahead of them. It's the same way in basically the film industry.

That's why most musicians here in San Francisco dislike LA's local scene so much because it still correlates with trying to make it in the big corporate scene.

Now imagine San Francisco's laid back vibe where the local or indy music scene thrives. Austin is the same way but twice as much. I've literally had this conversation a gazillion times with musicians from LA, and SF.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I would say
1. LA
2. Nashville
3. Austin

I don't like most country, but just about none of the music from Austin tickles my fancy. Just because Austin has lots of music doesn't mean its the best. Walmart is the biggest retailer but sells a whole lotta crap. McDonalds is the biggest fast food chain in the world.. do I need to explain more?
I think your comparisons are slightly off though. Walmart, McDonalds, etc is better compared to the music scene in LA which is basically corporate music. Austin's music scene is like going to a whole foods store where they sell nothing but vegan and organic products. Completely different from a McDonald's corporation, although I do know what you mean. Austin isn't for everyone. I myself don't like vegans as I am a big meat eater.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,562,952 times
LA for sheer volume,but i'd imagine its about the quick hitters

the concentration of actual musicians prolly reside in austin, nashville, new orleans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City