Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times

Advertisements

Out of these cities Seattle feels the most progressive imo. Highest income, highest educated population, lowest crime, the best downtown of the bunch. Though Miami is more dense by the numbers, Seattle feels more dense and walkable. Seattle imo can easily hold its own with any of the others. And though Atlanta has grown alot it still feels country to me. I know flying its closer to other major cities but if you're driving it feels like the most isolated imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,642,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Out of these cities Seattle feels the most progressive imo. Highest income, highest educated population, lowest crime, the best downtown of the bunch. Though Miami is more dense by the numbers, Seattle feels more dense and walkable. Seattle imo can easily hold its own with any of the others. And though Atlanta has grown alot it still feels country to me. I know flying its closer to other major cities but if you're driving it feels like the most isolated imo.
The problem with Atlanta (almost the same for Seattle but she has Vancouver) is that she's the biggest and most important city in the immediate area. A day trip to Greenville, Birmingham, or even Charlotte doesn't make sense for someone in Atlanta. But I could see anyone in those cities wanting to make the trip to Atlanta. So Atlanta isn't isolated, it's just king of the hill.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Atlanta is southern, not country. I have found that many, many people really don't know the difference between the two. Country is rural, and Atlanta is not rural.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
Yes, there's nothing to do in Phoenix but sit around and think about the weather.
That's EXACTLY what I said!

Do you think Phoenix is higher on the list? Why don't you elaborate on that instead?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:02 PM

171 posts, read 324,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
That's EXACTLY what I said!

Do you think Phoenix is higher on the list? Why don't you elaborate on that instead?
I wish people would use their brains around here.

I never said that PHX needed to be higher on the list, but for you, there really is more to the city and urban area than what your attempt to simply it represents.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
I wish people would use their brains around here.

I never said that PHX needed to be higher on the list, but for you, there really is more to the city and urban area than what your attempt to simply it represents.
That sounds like a backhanded way of calling me "stupid"....

There may be more to Phoenix than what I encapsulated, but for the purposes of putting together a ranked list, and to keep things in order from "best" to "worst", all while keeping it to about one sentence in length....how would YOU have captioned Phoenix given those limitations? I can't write a case study for every city just to be 100% accurate and/or avoid confusion. Sometimes when we highlight and summarize we have to get straight to the point: in this case, the point was to showcase Phoenix as a member of the bottom of a list of GREAT American cities and their status in this country. Had the list ranked only SW cities against eachother, maybe Phoenix would have been at/near the top. In which case, I'd have probably had a more positive spin about Phoenix in my one-sentence summary.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,886,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Except NY is nowhere near as dirty as it was 20 years ago. You can finds rats/mice down here in Atlanta. Hell, my parents house 30 miles outside of Atl is infested with mice and it isn't a dirty house...anyone can get rodents.

Again, most, if not all CBD's of decent size cities are urban...that doesn't mean most of the city is urban. There is no cohesiveness in the urbanity outside of Downtown/Midtown. Chicago, LA, NYC, DC, and SF have continuous urbanity outside of the CBD's. As soon as you get out of downtown, you feel like you're back into the suburbs again LOL...there are strip malls literally a mile away from the downtown area.

There's a reason 8M+ people live in NYC proper alone and there is continued demand to live there. Everyone here just wants to drive 80 miles a day to work and back. It's even hard to get more rail here because the counties around the core don't want to pay their share.

Everyone wants to live in a shoe box with double AC units in the windows where trash is piled along the streets. NY is still Dirty and Decaying in lots of the Boroughs my friend I am there all the time and the Amount of trash I see along the street is ridiculous.There commutes are just as long on transit and with the transit they have millions of people still driving WHY because they dont want to take or smell or stand in those crumbling Stations. Why do u think so many people are driving in NY with it being so walkable? Yes there are rats and mice in every city but not like NY baby im Convinced that there are more rats than pedestrians seriously. The rats are the size of Cats. 30 miles outside I could expect rats because its rural but in the city No ma'am prime example
Why you should never fall alseep on a NYC subway train. Rat on a Mission! Rat wakes up Homeless man - YouTube lol

From a southern stance being that Most of the Major cities in the south were built around the car. I say its urban enough to be a car oriented city. No one is saying that Its just as urban as NY hell most of the maJor cities arent..

Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Somebody has to be THE MOST or THE LEAST, and NYC and Atlanta just so happen to be those things for density/urbanity -- for top 15 U.S. metros anyways. It sounds very much like Atlanta is taking large strides to be more urban, so perhaps within the next census or so Atlanta may not be at the bottom of this one particular list......who knows?

Almost every city has at least one very good and very bad aspect about it.....this may just be Atlanta's (or New York's, if you hate super-dense living).

Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,981,008 times
Seattle has too many fat women and it isn't diverse

Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,257,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Seattle has too many fat women and it isn't diverse
Dude, your comments are the best lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City