Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: unique?
Montreal 63 47.01%
New Orleans 71 52.99%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
I've been to them all.

IMO Montreal is more a unique city. For one thing it has a mountain in the middle of it, Mont Royal.

And compared to New Orleans...Montreal is very french.
I wonder how many people in New Orleans actually speak french anyway?

New Orleans is sort of "Disneyland" unique, not quite the real thing like Montreal.

Sure, french quarter and canjun cooking, mixed with some jazz, makes NOLA unique in a US sense
but Montreal is very different, to most north americans that visit.
I don't think Frenchness alone is a good argument for MTL being more 'unique' than NOLA. As I said, Quebec has Quebec City, isn't Quebec City similar enough to Montreal, perhaps even MORE unique?

New Orleans closest spiritual cousin could possibly be Port-au-Prince, Haiti, although after 1803 it aligned more with Savannah, Charleston, Mobile and Galveston.

As a city, NOLA for my money.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Yep. That's why there are basically two "centers" of New Orleans, the French Quarter and the "American Sector" (CBD). Each population group had their own businesses and own languages of business.

Also, each group has their own elite residential district (St. Charles/Garden District for Americans, and Esplanade Avenue for Creoles.)

The interesting thing is that Montreal is very similar to this.
It doesn't feel that separate honestly. It's hard to imagine Canal was a language barrier as well, although I do know it was a huge meeting point for both uptowners and downtowners, hence the term "neutral ground."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What side would that be of Montreal? Outside some neighborhoods and maybe McGill and NDG I didn't find any. Some of the western suburbs are majority English speaking though.

As to NOLA, again which sides would that be. I never ran into any language division in NOLA but then I was always a tourist staying at my friend's place in central city.
He's talking about the 19th century. Again, re-read his post.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,642,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Not really. South Louisiana and New Orleans are actually quite different. Also Louisiana is much more Catholic and French (and other) than those states. Then New Orleans culture does not really flow along the Gulf Coast. They really share barely any cultural similarities. Places like Mobile are not nearly as Catholic as New Orleans. New Orleans got a ton of immigration that the rest did not get for the most part. New Orleans continued to have a strong Creole/French heritage while those other places slowly lost a lot of it. Cities like Mobile tore down a lot of the architecture they somewhat had in common but even then New Orleans had a lot different architectual types. Plus there is a lot of the unique cultural, traditions, and cuisine that those places do not have or have more recently got. I would have to say a Mobile is a lot more stereotypically Southern. But at least they all still have Mardi Gras.
Just had a look:

NOLA: 25% catholic, 6% Baptist
Mobile: 15% catholic, 20% baptist.

More like the rest of the south yes, but 15% catholic for the deep south is out of place.

For example, Montgomery is 4% Catholic and 20% baptist.

Mobile is about equi-distance (well about lol, don't be too strict on this) from NOLA and Montgomery but culturally she is more similar to NOLA than Montgomery despite Montgomery being in the same state.

To a person in NOLA, Mobile well feel more like the rest of the south. To everyone else, it will feel more like NOLA. You're just too surrounded by your culture.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
New Orleans, without a doubt. It's something that transcends the food, the history, and the architecture. It's something that's found in the spirit of the people and they're culture. It sounds corny, but New Orleanians seem to add a whole new twist to life itself.

Montreal is unique to North America, sure, but it doesn't stand out as much on the global stage.
There are a lot of places like that in the rest of the world. Have you been to the Caribbean or Brazil?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Quote:
Just had a look:

More like the rest of the south yes, but 15% catholic for the deep south is out of place.

Mobile is about equi-distance (well about lol, don't be too strict on this) from NOLA and Montgomery but culturally she is more similar to NOLA than Montgomery despite Montgomery being in the same state.

To a person in NOLA, Mobile well feel more like the rest of the south. To everyone else, it will feel more like NOLA. You're just too surrounded by your culture.
How much French influence does Mobile have?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

He's talking about the 19th century. Again, re-read his post.
We established that a ways back. Don't waste your pretty fingers typing me your words of wisdom, annie.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:

New Orleans is sort of "Disneyland" unique, not quite the real thing like Montreal.
Spoken like a person who most likely never left the French Quarter.

Quote:
Sure, french quarter and canjun cooking, mixed with some jazz, makes NOLA unique in a US sense
...and yet another hole in your credibility. New Orleans is a predominantly Creole city with Creole cooking.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How much French influence does Mobile have?
It was founded by the french just like NOLA. probably around the same time. Over the years, it was more assimilated than NOLA, but that's about it.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,956,577 times
Quote:
I've been to them all.

IMO Montreal is more a unique city. For one thing it has a mountain in the middle of it, Mont Royal.

And compared to New Orleans...Montreal is very french.
I wonder how many people in New Orleans actually speak french anyway?

New Orleans wouldn't be as unique if it were just all plain French like Montreal. New Orleans had also been settled by other groups other than the French which gives it more unique flavor from jazz to food. Montreal isn't known to the world for Jazz or anything popular like the French Quarter with the largest Madis Gras.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 PM

814 posts, read 1,464,568 times
Quote:
Just had a look:

Where did you get those statistics from? Is it the city or metro? Most people know New Orleans is dominantly Catholic, just look at about every costum or all the old churches. I am sorrounded by my culture that I know does not exist in these other places and people dont care enough to know about. The topic of this thread is what city is more unique, I am just pointing out what culture New Orleans has and how even though tourist might not notice it is still there. I would not expect some tourist in the French Quarter to know the culture of the city. How would Mobile feel like New Orleans? Different architecture, different immigration history, different cuisine, different costums/traditions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City