Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times

Advertisements

^^^^
Mr Burns - Some issues with that graph..

It has Toronto and Chicago at the same population in 2016. Ok fine if you are looking on a 'CSA' level than they aren't too far off though no CSA is really complementary to an urban area and includes a lot of exurban and loooow density sprawl including the GGH but yeah, on a CSA level in the next 10 years Toronto will most likely surpass Chicago.

That said, if you are going to blow out to the max for these cities than why on earth is L.A only about 13-13.5 million people? In 2016 The CSA of the LA-Long Beach area is already about 18.5 million and 2010 official count is 17.8 million. This graph looks like cherry picking for L.A and for 2016 anyway plotting just its Metro area population and not CSA. NYC CSA also looks low in 2016 where you have it depicted at 21 million but is actually over 23 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

Last edited by fusion2; 05-09-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 AM

102 posts, read 124,319 times
Fresno, CA will likely look like something out of Road Warrior.
But, we can hope that downtown revitalization takes off and Tower and Downtown look like Midtown and Downtown Sac, River Park will continue to develop into a sort of 'Uptown' area with more infill. Unlikely if any transit will develop beyond the BRT currently going in on Blackstone. An East-West freeway will be built on the north end of town connecting 99 and 41.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:09 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,011,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
And the Austin-love fest continues, devoid of reality or context of course. First off, DFW isn't tied much to oil so even if that collapses, it will still weather the storm. It's WAY more economically diverse than Austin, so how can Austin outlive it? DFW is the transportation and logistics hub of the south-central U.S. The U.S. can live without Austin more-so than DFW. The infrastructure in Austin is also completely deplorable. If any city is likely to collapse, it's Austin not DFW.

Your post is just complete BS lacking any form of reason whatsoever. Oh one more thing, Austin IS a sunbelt city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
Lol, you clearly don't know what the heck you're talking about.
They aren't totally off base.

Miami is already having serious problems with salt water invading the freshwater table underneath the city. Combined with the increased flooding of low lying areas (which is a huge chunk of the metro), it's a matter of when not if there will be a serious movement of people out of Miami.

The same concerns (albeit to varying degrees) in other coastal Southern cities. Of the cities in the South, Dallas and Atlanta (as well as Charlotte) would be immune from these affects. This would mean that a lot of the climate refugees would end up in those towns. Having gone through a mini version of this already during the Hurricane Katrina crisis, I can tell you moving a massive amount of people to a new city at one time that have lost everything is not an easy thing to manage.

The scarier prospect is how climate change will affect the overall weather patters over the Southeast. Some studies predict that if ocean temperatures and sea levels continue to rise at the same rate we will see an end to the reliable pattern of heavy rainfalls that the Southeast relies on to refill water basins.

Hopefully, this is all totally off and none of it will happens. The amount of social and politcal upheaval this would cause is unimaginable. Sadly, we're already staring to see the signs of this coming true.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:49 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,093,846 times
Why are the creators expecting Toronto's growth to accelerate so much?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,740,800 times
NYC will be Tokyo

Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,890,504 times
Seattle by 2050 will be a highly dense region which by 2050 will have had grade-separated light rail for nearly 30 years at that point which will have connected all of the region's major districts. It will be a given that the city of Seattle itself will be highly densified by that time, but what will be more transformed by that time will be the Eastside cities which include Bellevue, Redmond, and Kirkland which will be hugely transformed by the added mass transit options (which again, by 2050, will have existed for nearly 30 years).

In short, the effects of having a mass transit system connecting all of the major districts in the region will completely change the face of the Seattle region.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Why are the creators expecting Toronto's growth to accelerate so much?
Well take into account there are no sources cited in that graph and the fact that it starts out with a Toronto 'CSA' equivalent population measure(2016) but undercounts L.A CSA by 4 million and NYC CSA by 2.5 million, doesn't lead me to believe that whoever authored it has any credibility.

Toronto will most likely continue to have impressive growth rates as a result of Canada's liberal immigration policy but I don't believe in the veracity of the source of this graph and out to beyond 2030 or 2040 imo is a bit too crystal ballish

Old 05-09-2017, 04:58 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^^^
Mr Burns - Some issues with that graph..

It has Toronto and Chicago at the same population in 2016. Ok fine if you are looking on a 'CSA' level than they aren't too far off though no CSA is really complementary to an urban area and includes a lot of exurban and loooow density sprawl including the GGH but yeah, on a CSA level in the next 10 years Toronto will most likely surpass Chicago.

That said, if you are going to blow out to the max for these cities than why on earth is L.A only about 13-13.5 million people? In 2016 The CSA of the LA-Long Beach area is already about 18.5 million and 2010 official count is 17.8 million. This graph looks like cherry picking for L.A and for 2016 anyway plotting just its Metro area population and not CSA. NYC CSA also looks low in 2016 where you have it depicted at 21 million but is actually over 23 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area
I think it's using MSA for the American cities.
NYC MSA is just over 20 Million
LA MSA is around 13 Million
And Chicago MSA is just under 10 Million.

I know Canada uses different forms of measurement. I'm not really familiar with Canadas methods tbh.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think it's using MSA for the American cities.
NYC MSA is just over 20 Million
LA MSA is around 13 Million
And Chicago MSA is just under 10 Million.

I know Canada uses different forms of measurement. I'm not really familiar with Canadas methods tbh.
That is why I questioned the population metrics in the graph. They used CSA equivalent for Toronto but not for L.A and NYC. So even at the starting gate the data is not corollary. The only way Toronto would be 9.4 million is using the CSA metric (Golden Horshoe). If they used MSA equivalent it would be more around 7-7.5 million. I think in MSA and CSA terms - Toronto has a very likely chance of exceeding Chicago in population by 2030 for CSA and 2040ish for MSA if population growth in both metro's mirror how they have for the last 20 years over the next 20 years. I certainly can't think of any likely scenario for Toronto to exceed L.A in population for a minimum of 60-70 years and going so far out so many factors can change. The further out you go, the more unknown things are.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:10 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That is why I questioned the population metrics in the graph. They used CSA equivalent for Toronto but not for L.A and NYC. So even at the starting gate the data is not corollary. The only way Toronto would be 9.4 million is using the CSA metric (Golden Horshoe). If they used MSA equivalent it would be more around 7-7.5 million. I think in MSA and CSA terms - Toronto has a very likely chance of exceeding Chicago in population by 2030 for CSA and 2040ish for MSA if population growth in both metro's mirror how they have for the last 20 years over the next 20 years. I certainly can't think of any likely scenario for Toronto to exceed L.A in population for a minimum of 60-70 years and going so far out so many factors can change. The further out you go, the more unknown things are.
Oh ok I get it now. So that's basically like comparing the Canadian equivalent of CSA to American MSAs. So a more accurate graph would use NY, LA, and Chicago CSAs. Sorry I'm not familiar with Canadian measurement methods.

I also think it's very unlikely that population trends will stay the same in each of those cities or almost anywhere. That's something that changes all the time and is unpredictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City