Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,380,855 times

Advertisements

Buffalo? That's silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New Orleans definitely. Can you imagine what the city would be like if it had a population of 5 million+?
It would not be the New Orleans we know and love, but a watered-down version. Charleston, too. Some smaller, classic cities are great at their current size.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,902,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I wouldn't call a larger Pittsburgh a NYC competitor, it would have to have more than just a large population. It would have to have the diversity, economic strength and diversity, prominence and cultural strength in order to compete with NYC. A combo that perhaps only 5 cities have outside of NYC.

Already big but:

SF. People seem to forget that SF's city proper is only 805,000. Imagine if it were 2 million +!
Pittsburgh already has those....sure not on NYC scale...but for a city of 300K in population, Pittsburgh punches far above its weight...

You step foot in the Burgh first thing you'd think is NO-WAY is this a city of just 300K people .

Old 10-14-2012, 11:24 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,223,119 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh. It's a city of 300,000 with a reputation as large as Chicago's. Imagine if it actually was the size of Chicago. NY competitor?
Im not putting down pittsburgh but, dont you think its a little "much" to say it has a reputation of chicago? I can think of only 1 person from pittsburgh and maybe 1 or 2 attractions which is far better than the average american. Its no where near chicago's reputation. Chicago is a global city known throught the world, pittsburgh has half of that.

Once again im not putting down Pittsburgh but im pretty sure someone will comment on this saying "SHUT UP Fa* PITTSBURGH IS WAY BETTER THAN SHI*HOLE ST.LOUIS or HEY PITTSBURGH HAS THIS DOES CHICAGO OR ST.LOUIS HAVE THAT, NO I DIDNT FU****** THINK SO". C-D is terrible..... sigh

Old 10-14-2012, 11:33 AM

932 posts, read 1,946,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Im not putting down pittsburgh but, dont you think its a little "much" to say it has a reputation of chicago? I can think of only 1 person from pittsburgh and maybe 1 or 2 attractions which is far better than the average american. Its no where near chicago's reputation. Chicago is a global city known throught the world, pittsburgh has half of that.

Once again im not putting down Pittsburgh but im pretty sure someone will comment on this saying "SHUT UP Fa* PITTSBURGH IS WAY BETTER THAN SHI*HOLE ST.LOUIS or HEY PITTSBURGH HAS THIS DOES CHICAGO OR ST.LOUIS HAVE THAT, NO I DIDNT FU****** THINK SO". C-D is terrible..... sigh
Before I ever looked it up, I never thought about Chicago. The only thing I ever learned about the town was the Sears Tower (now renamed). They don't teach about Chicago out here, but then again I grew up sandwiched between Philly and NYC, and those are the cities that dominate the culture.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It would not be the New Orleans we know and love, but a watered-down version. Charleston, too. Some smaller, classic cities are great at their current size.
Well it depends. If the bulk of the growth happened post-WWII, then they would just be a historic core surrounded by typical sprawl (which is what's happening with Charleston and its rapid growth now). However, if these cities never plateaued sometime after the Civil War and actually maintained decent growth levels, they'd have larger historic footprints. Had that happened, I could see Charleston around the size of present-day New Orleans and New Orleans would be close to the size of Baltimore or St. Louis.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corderis View Post
In the Running Is
1. New Orleans
2. Tampa
3. Sacramento
4. Buffalo
5. Raleigh
6. Peoria
7. Savannah
8. San Antonio
None of those! Growth would either destroy their charm and historical fabric (New Orleans, Savannah) or dish out more of the same, as in "no thanks."

The two cities I was thinking of would be:
Pittsburgh - but the infrastructure would be strained - some bridges and freeways are too small, and
Jacksonville - beaches, river, port, interesting geography, but man does it need a cultural boost

Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,840,488 times
I think if Atlanta were bigger it'd be nearly perfect. I might even stay permanently if it was.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I think if Atlanta were bigger it'd be nearly perfect. I might even stay permanently if it was.
The only way Atlanta could handle being bigger is if MARTA was voted in by adjacent NIMBY counties. The city itself cannot exceed its city limits, but can infill, if that's what you mean by bigger.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 PM

979 posts, read 2,095,768 times
San Francisco. This city already packs a punch only on 49 square miles.

Imagine how San Francisco would be if it was the size of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City