Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:32 PM

192 posts, read 256,439 times

Advertisements

Both have similar winter highs in the mid 40s on average but Denver gets a lot more snow and has much colder winter lows. At the same time though, Denver has thinner air, more sun and is much drier during the winter. So in terms of feel, does it really seem much colder than Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Both have similar winter highs in the mid 40s on average but Denver gets a lot more snow and has much colder winter lows. At the same time though, Denver has thinner air, more sun and is much drier during the winter. So in terms of feel, does it really seem much colder than Seattle?
I grew up in Illinois. I was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska for three years. NEVER, while in AK did I long for an IL winter. Nor was I thankful for an IL winter when I came back to IL. Cold is cold. People talk about a wet cold vs a dry cold. I've been smacked in the face by both. Neither is pleasant.

If I'm in Seattle, I couldn't care less how cold it is in Denver, the converse is also true.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,445 times
Denver is colder on the average but has drier and warmer days in winter. Denver sees much greater variance between daytime highs and overnight lows because it's generally much drier. Chinook winds can warm up the city on some days as well. Seattle sees less extremes but is more consistantly dreary and wet. That can be worse to many. At least in Denver you can catch a break from winter every once in a while.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,073,473 times
Plus there are FAR MORE sunny days in Denver. But that is year round, not just winter!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
Rain drizzles all the time in Seattle and in winter it's bone chilling cold. People are nasty. Anywhere is better.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,826,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Rain drizzles all the time in Seattle and in winter it's bone chilling cold. People are nasty. Anywhere is better.
Lol wouldn't it be the person calling people nasty the true nasty one.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:19 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,826,779 times
Depends on what you like Seattle has two months out of the year with avg highs of 46 and lows of 36 and thats winter for Seattle then Seattle is back into the 50s. Seattle has a short winter, a long spring, and a late summer. . Denver has five months of freezing weather on average out of the year. And three months of average highs in the mid 40s. I would have to say Denver seems colder alot longer. Personaly I would rather live in Seattle with the milder temperature I dont own any winter cloths . And I hate the couple a days a year I have to scrape ice of my car in Seattle. If I ever want snow Seattle is only 30 mins from the mountains anyway.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Rain drizzles all the time in Seattle and in winter it's bone chilling cold.
Yes... The humidity factor really comes into play during the winter in Seattle. And you really see it in the snow type as well. Just... dampy.

I wish Seattle gets the powder type of snow more often; a couple years ago, we had an odd winter where it was chillingly cold, but not humid... and the snow was powdery and stayed that way. Plus it was sunny. That was pretty awesome.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Not sure about Seattle, but I was out in January in Denver a few years ago and it was a piece of cake. The sun was shining all week long and I could feel it on my face, I was wearing sun glasses as it was reallly bright. Was a welcome break from Chicago at least.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
Denver has the perfect winter imo. It snows a lot, but it is also very sunny and can get into the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City