Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:08 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,901,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Interesting that you should paint such starkly different trajectories for LA and SF because we're going on 3 decades in a row where the SF Metro Area is growing faster than the LA Metro Area.

1990-2000:
San Francisco MSA +11.9%
Los Angeles MSA +9.7%

2000-2010:
San Francisco MSA +5.1%
Los Angeles MSA +3.7%

2010-2017:
San Francisco MSA +9.04%
Los Angeles +4.09%

At present time, the SF Metro Area is growing twice as fast as the LA Metro Area, and is the fastest growing metro in California.

2010-2017 MSA Growth Rate:
San Francisco +9.04%
San Jose +8.79%
Stockton +8.77%
Riverside +8.42%
Sacramento +8.18%
San Diego +7.83%
Vallejo +7.77%
Merced +6.60%
Modesto +6.50%
Bakersfield +6.37%
Fresno +6.32%
Santa Barbara +5.72%
Salinas +5.51%
Santa Cruz +5.15%
San Luis Obispo +5.11%
Visalia +5.05%
El Centro +4.76%
Chico +4.22%
Santa Rosa +4.20%
Los Angeles +4.09%
Yuba City +4.07%
Madera +3.99%
Oxnard +3.75%
Napa +3.29%
Hanford -1.88%
You still fail to mention 3x the population even with half the percentage growth LA is still adding more people. Between 2010 and 2017 SF Bay CSA added 700k while LA CSA added 900k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,309,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Why do you single out Chicago? All the Midwest and Northeast lost people. It does not have the California climate and lost much of its manufacturing base.
Another poster suggested that Chicago's population loss was somehow different from that of Pittsburgh, Detroit, St. Louis, etc.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Another poster suggested that Chicago's population loss was somehow different from that of Pittsburgh, Detroit, St. Louis, etc.
It was much less severe.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:03 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,309,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It was much less severe.
But happened at the same time, for the same reasons specific to the rust belt (which Chicago is a part of).

Old 03-31-2019, 09:07 PM

944 posts, read 1,212,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
But happened at the same time, for the same reasons specific to the rust belt (which Chicago is a part of).
No it wasn't, New York lost 800,000 people in the 70's. And that was Chicago and St. Louis's worst decade and Detroit's second worst.

White flight and suburbanization impacted every city in the northeastern quadrant of the country in that period.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:29 AM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
No it wasn't, New York lost 800,000 people in the 70's. And that was Chicago and St. Louis's worst decade and Detroit's second worst.

White flight and suburbanization impacted every city in the northeastern quadrant of the country in that period.
White flight and Suburbanization impacyeecevery city period. It’s just that in the South it was mostly disguised through Annexation. Like Atlanta for example peaked in 1970. The old city of Louisville has fewer people now than in 1950 as well.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Yeah what we don’t have in height we definitely make up for with high clusters of buildings with 8-15 stories. I feel that those midrises contribute more towards street level vibrancy than insane high rises that are a pain to get in and out of. I have friends who work in Chicago or NYC high rises who barely go outside for lunch because of the immense effort it takes to go all the way down, especially if the express elevators are down

I like DC’s urban form because out of all the major cities in the country, DCs density relies the absolute least on skyscrapers. Urbanists in the USA and even Canada have a thing for skyscrapers, which I understand, but without the corresponding foot traffic on the ground it’s no different than having an office park in the middle of nowhere.

As all the other DC posters have posted, the city has rightfully more or less redeveloped the deadzones and run down areas to have a nouveau-style mid rise density city rather than opting for a bunch of towers just because. Especially with DC metro, whenever all the headway issues and maintenance issues get fixed, shuffling people back and forth between all these mid-rise dense areas.

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser raised the possibility of changing the century-old law that restricts the height of buildings in her second inaugural address

What do you think about raising the height limit in areas of Ward 7 and Ward 8?

Old 04-01-2019, 12:52 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Thanks I was searching the links and actually looking for that one. I would love to see the RFP for Poplar once it comes out from the city too. Keep me posted.

What do you think about building a skyscrasper type zone across the Anacostia River in Ward 7 and Ward 8? It would keep the core as mid-rise with a max of 15 stories so the focus is still the monuments, but the river bank could remove the height limit. Look at this video below:

DC Flyover

Old 04-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What do you think about building a skyscrasper type zone across the Anacostia River in Ward 7 and Ward 8? It would keep the core as mid-rise with a max of 15 stories so the focus is still the monuments, but the river bank could remove the height limit. Look at this video below:

DC Flyover
I think 25/30 story buildings along the Anacostia could easily be accepted and some times I feel like the Wharf could/should have been taller but that's almost completely developed once 2nd phase finishes. Could you imagine the stretch of development near Buzzard Point up the Anacostia on both sides (Poplar Point included) all the way towards RFK/DC jail with 25+ stories?

EOTR there could be buildings over 14 floors no doubt, I don't see any reasons at all why some type of amendments couldn't be made for that part of the District to build taller especially around Metro stations. I feel like the city is going to develop/redevelop everything first before making the push to go taller however.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:07 PM

724 posts, read 561,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think in very limited areas of DC around metro stops, it could work. Ward 7 and Ward 8 are basically what people outside of the District call "Southeast". On a whole, there needs to be much more wholesale revitalization that a few tall buildings won't take care of, so I'd rather have the District focus on those efforts to ensure that people will even walk around to begin with, before starting to build a bunch of towers just for the hell of it. However, I saw the video you posted along the Anacostia. I think that would be pretty cool.

However, I also don't want the historical monuments, AKA what makes DC really unique (like a living museum) to be obscured just for some glass buildings, but I don't think it would get to that extent at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City