Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

I like how Boston's MSA doesn't rank that high for its population yet has one of the highest median incomes of any MSA in the country. Shows it does well without extremes of wealth. I've gotten the impression of it being a bit more down to earth and less showy of wealth than some of the other well-off "top" metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
That long data list is inaccurate. There are more zipcodes in the Philadelphia area with average family income of 200,000 or higher.

Also this doesn't give a good representation of an area. Miami Detroit and Los Angeles for example have multiple zip-codes with that income, yet much of those cities and metro areas have so much blight. (Detroit metro is much nicer than the city though)

Old 10-26-2012, 12:05 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That long data list is inaccurate. There are more zipcodes in the Philadelphia area with average family income of 200,000 or higher.

Also this doesn't give a good representation of an area. Miami Detroit and Los Angeles for example have multiple zip-codes with that income, yet much of those cities and metro areas have so much blight. (Detroit metro is much nicer than the city though)
This is just precious. A guy from the Philly area is throwing LA under the bus for blight LOL.

Philly does not beat LA 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States

It doesn't beat LA here either 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States

Lay off the potent crack son.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Proud to be from Philadelphia. And where I live doesnt have the slightest amount of blight. So please dont insult me by saying im a poor urban person just because Im from Philadelphia. Ignorant statement.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Crows Nest, Indiana has the highest median family income in The United States?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Crows Nest, Indiana has the highest median family income in The United States?
No, they have the highest AVERAGE family income of any place located in a large US Metro/CSA. Yes that's what the Census Bureau reported in its 2010 findings.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, they have the highest AVERAGE family income of any place located in a large US Metro/CSA. Yes that's what the Census Bureau reported in its 2010 findings.
Still, that is very surprising to me. I hear so much about Fisher's Island (#2) and how it is uber wealthy but have never heard of Crow's Nest. Very interesting. I wonder if there is one household that shoots the average up.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Still, that is very surprising to me. I hear so much about Fisher's Island (#2) and how it is uber wealthy but have never heard of Crow's Nest. Very interesting. I wonder if there is one household that shoots the average up.

You also have to look at the total population for the area. Based on 2010 it looks like a total population of 75 people. So an average could be something like one person making 80 million and assuming roughly 33% work another 25 all making 50K and you would get an average of nearly 4 million per. Small populations can really get skewed by outliers - I suspect this may explain some of this here

Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
This is just precious. A guy from the Philly area is throwing LA under the bus for blight LOL.

Philly does not beat LA 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States

It doesn't beat LA here either 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States

Lay off the potent crack son.

Income and wealth dont always show in all metrics.

Neither an LA or Philly has any shortage of high income nor wealthy areas (nor low income areas for that matter)

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/incom...n/los-angeles/

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/incom.../philadelphia/

Some of these lists are interesting as they show little earned income yet high taxes paid - likely capital gains. As much as you may not want to believe Philly and especially Main Line, and some Chester and Bucks County areas have some substantial wealth. Philly still has a ton of Industrial tust fund babys and one of the higher blue blood concentrations in the country

Highest income zip codes in PENNSYLVANIA

Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM

26 posts, read 52,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You also have to look at the total population for the area. Based on 2010 it looks like a total population of 75 people. So an average could be something like one person making 80 million and assuming roughly 33% work another 25 all making 50K and you would get an average of nearly 4 million per. Small populations can really get skewed by outliers - I suspect this may explain some of this here
Yup, pretty much. I grew up near New Albany, OH. Billionaire Les Wexner lives there (founder of Limited stores, Victoria's Secret, etc) and built a small development of a handful of very expensive homes. It's basically farms with a tiny population, which includes one billionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City