Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
I'll let valentro take over this conversation (about Singapore) because he knows more about his hometown Singapore and his former home Chicago than I do.
Who ever said Singapore is the Chicago of Asia meant it in an insulting manner but he couldn't be more spot on with the comparison. LOLOLOLOL. It takes an 800 pound gorilla to compare anywhere to either of these two cities, two of which I'm proud to call one of them my hometown & the other my American "hometown".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Patents are a great way to measure innovation that has moved from just being a great idea into an actual product or invention that could possibly change the world.

This thread is about business in case you hadnt noticed, not good ideas that just sit there unexploited.
It's inevitable that posters would attempt to diminish Silicon Valley's staggering influence on society. Par for the course around here.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think there needs to be serious recognition on the part of Los Angeles that it is huge under performer in many fields. For a city of its size and renown, Los Angeles has great difficulty retaining corporate headquarters or highly skilled talent in many fields. The thousands of students trained in LA institutions every year with highly coveted STEMs and other skills go pouring out of the region (including to the Bay Area) because LA simply does not support those industries. There is a reason why LA does so poorly in these stats over and over--it has a serious fundamental weaknesses and I have no idea why this doesn't result in a call to action on the part of Angelenos rather than ridiculous knee-jerk defensiveness as if LA is supposed to be some insular podunk town.
Call to action?! What are we supposed to do, take to the streets and demand that the city create more corporate white collar jobs? So we can make a dent on these GaWC lists? I'm all for a more well-rounded Los Angeles economy, but there's not much one can do personally, especially in this economy. If you look at GDP, Los Angeles outpaced both New York and Chicago last year, thats a good sign. I also feel that Korean Air's Wilshire Grand Tower will usher in a new, business-friendlier era in L.A., but that's several years away.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-21-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But here's the rub. This ranking is based solely on the office locations of the companies listed below:

Ranking of GAWCs Most Strategic Global Cities, 2012:
North America
1 New York
3 Chicago
6 San Francisco
7 Los Angeles
16 Miami
20 Washington DC
24 Toronto
26 Mexico City
27 Dallas
39 Boston
[b]45 Houston[46 Palo Alto

GaWC Research Bulletin 413
And yup, thats a big rub.

First off let me be honest that when I first read the title "Most Strategic Global Cities", maybe its because I am a dumb history and geography buff, but I was thinking Istanbul, Singapore & Copenhagen which have long guarded their strategic straits.

In any case, here we see Strategic Global City now means simply being the headquaters city of a law, advertising or a consulting firm --- the global reach of any, could at a moment's notice be limited or abolished by war or even at the stroke of a foreign politician's pen.

Now given the criteria, the list does make a point that some cities are better in certain categories than others. It certainly does not hurt to have more wealth and employment from these various companies.

But then there is the rub. First off for example, who decided that an advertising firm is strategic but not an entire Hollywood Studio in Los Angeles? Or the headquarters of a law firm but not a major oil company?

And after reading through the link, while I found while they did alot of research and did look at Asia, I think the list may be still somewhat western-centric. You would think from the list of cities that it was the West that is booming instead of China, India, Asia in general. I mean for example, from a strategic viewpoint, is having large law firms an advantage or a disavantage? Could not law firms also be a sign that a society has excessive political regulations and excessive wasteful lawsuits?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 AM

37,190 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Call to action?! What are we supposed to do, take to the streets and demand that the city create more corporate white collar jobs? So we can make a dent on these GaWC lists? I'm all for a more well-rounded Los Angeles economy, but there's not much one can do personally, especially in this economy. If you look at GDP, Los Angeles outpaced both New York and Chicago last year, thats a good sign. I also feel that Korean Air's Wilshire Grand Tower will usher in a new, business-friendlier era in L.A., but that's several years away.
How about voting? I kept my registration in LA county despite having moved out a long time ago. It's not taking a dent to the lists--that's just an extra. The fact is that LA city and county are so incredibly obtuse that they have driven the area into the ground despite its advantages. LA did not outpace NYC. That's such a huge fiction, that I don't know where to start. There are so many fundamental changes that NYC is trying to enact and top-down level support for joining the knowledge economy that NYC has been trying that LA has only been given lip value to. I tried to put my new industries in LA, but when weighing the pros and cons, LA came out badly and NYC did well. LA forsake its own knowledge driven industries and I have no idea why people still put up excuses for it. It is ridiculous and counter productive for people who actually want LA to succeed. If you want to drive it into the ground, then by all means put up the defenses and see how that long slide of low-income wages and high unemployment keeps on going. I want LA to succeed, but I'm not about to put my livelihood on the line for it and neither are most people. You want your home-grown and home-trained software and hardware engineers, scientists of all disciplines, analysts, programmers, etc. to keep on finding their jobs outside the LA area? Fine, that's just the status quo you're keeping. Keep on screwing that chicken--it makes me sad, but as long as you're happy I guess there's no reason to make any changes. Don't recognize those weaknesses, just keep on letting it get worse and worse. Congrats, you got the mentality that ruined LA over the last two decades.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LA did not outpace NYC. That's such a huge fiction, that I don't know where to start.
I do. So lets start from 2010 and end at 2011

New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1.460 Trillion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $881.297 Billion

New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1.463 Trillion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $902.8 Billion

Houston +$35.8 Billion
Dallas +$28 Billion
San Francisco +$24.6 Billion
Los Angeles +$21.6 Billion
Chicago + $14.6 Billion
Boston +$16.3 Billion
Washington DC +$12.1 Billion
Atlanta +$11.9 Billion
Seattle +$11.3 Billion
Minneapolis +$9.2 Billion
Philadelphia +$6.2 Billion
New York +$3 Billion
Miami +$2.7 Billion
Detroit +$800 Million

TBH Oyo, California is ready to take off again. If I were you I would be more worried about why NYC's falling behind in growth.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM

37,190 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

Houston +$35.8 Billion
Dallas +$28 Billion
San Francisco +$24.6 Billion
Chicago + $14.6 Billion
Boston +$16.3 Billion
Atlanta +$11.9 Billion
Seattle +$11.3 Billion
New York +$3 Billion
Miami +$2.7 Billion
Detroit +$800 Million

TBH Oyo, California is ready to take off again. If I were you I would be more worried about why NYC's falling behind in growth.
I wouldn't. First of all, you're talking about CSAs. Your numbers also don't take into account the huge disparity in the current GDP per capita (the CSAs populations are off by just a hair, but the GDP numbers are significantly different) nor did it take into account what industry those numbers are coming from and what potential they have for future growth or high paying jobs. LA is continuing to just let much of the talent it's trained and produced bleed away year after year, but I'm hopeful that some of the smaller new companies in the area will be successful, grow, and most importantly, stay in Los Angeles. However, I think this cheerleading with trying to address LA's problems or why it does as poorly as it does for such a megalithic city is important rather than just ignoring any indicators showing LA being weak in many areas.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:

Houston +$35.8 Billion
Dallas +$28 Billion
San Francisco +$24.6 Billion ~CSA of ~7.5 Mil
~CSA of 17.6 mil
Chicago + $14.6 Billion
Boston +$16.3 Billion
Atlanta +$11.9 Billion
Seattle +$11.3 Billion
New York +$3 Billion
Miami +$2.7 Billion
Detroit +$800 Million

There is the in state brain drain right there... So how does a CSA with 10 million less people (in the same state, same corporate tax) generate 4 billion dollars more in the same period?

It's basically the difference between myspace methods (LA) and facebook methods (SF)

I agree California is fine though, doesn't need to compete against NYC to make money, but there is a brain drain there in LA for sure and it's high end jobs in aerospace, engineering and corporate presence in general has been fading for over a decade now.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishico View Post
There is the in state brain drain right there... So how does a CSA with 10 million less people (in the same state, same corporate tax) generate 4 billion dollars more in the same period?
I don't understand. Which two places are you comparing here?
Quote:
It's basically the difference between myspace methods (LA) and facebook methods (SF)
Well that's apples to oranges. Facebook was a perfected model, if you really want to use that logic the same can be said of Twitter (San Francisco) to Facebook (SV), again a model moving in perfection for the era that clings to it. MySpace was a precursor and a valuable one to the development of Facebook. Facebook crushed MySpace with a superior layout and that's what helped it gain popularity, it also moved away from Flash. The Flash era crashing is what killed MySpace more than anything else IMO.
Quote:
I agree California is fine though, doesn't need to compete against NYC to make money, but there is a brain drain there in LA for sure and it's high end jobs in aerospace, engineering and corporate presence in general has been fading for over a decade now.
LA is a city that is and has been in the process of rebranding. It's stepping away from it's previous industries and is looking to a future as a player in VC, tech, renewable energy, etc.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
I don't understand. Which two places are you comparing here?

Well that's apples to oranges. Facebook was a perfected model, if you really want to use that logic the same can be said of Twitter (San Francisco) to Facebook (SV), again a model moving in perfection for the era that clings to it. MySpace was a precursor and a valuable one to the development of Facebook. Facebook crushed MySpace with a superior layout and that's what helped it gain popularity, it also moved away from Flash. The Flash era crashing is what killed MySpace more than anything else IMO.

LA is a city that is and has been in the process of rebranding. It's stepping away from it's previous industries and is looking to a future as a player in VC, tech, renewable energy, etc.
Comparing SF and LA. All things being equal (assuming) since they are in the same state, same laws, same tax incentives, same state that was hit hard by the economy, that SF bounced back with higher gain than LA, despite 10 million less people. I'm saying that within just CA, people graduating from engineering and CS programs from say UCLA, Cal Tech, USC are being brought into the Bay Area economy. It would take a deeper look, but it isn't the first time I've heard that.

I was just joking with myspace/facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City