Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishico View Post
Comparing SF and LA. All things being equal (assuming) since they are in the same state, same laws, same tax incentives, same state that was hit hard by the economy, that SF bounced back with higher gain than LA, despite 10 million less people. I'm saying that within just CA, people graduating from engineering and CS programs from say UCLA, Cal Tech, USC are being brought into the Bay Area economy. It would take a deeper look, but it isn't the first time I've heard that.

I was just joking with myspace/facebook.
Well that's the thing you're not realizing. LA is a blue collar economy and SF Bay Area is a white collar economy. A comparison between the two is already apples to oranges because of how different their economies are. TBH there's also ignorance that blue collar economies fail, look at the richest blue collar city in the US, Houston. It has a per capita income that dwarfs its white collar rivals like Atlanta and is only behind SF Bay Area, DC, NYC, and Seattle tied with Boston. An economy if invested in properly can thrive, even if its blue collar. LA is rebranding and fixing its economy, I can tell you from personal experience that the LA area is aspiring to be the renewable energy capital of the US, much bigger player in tech, and is starting to take notes on biotech and research.

btw, tech isn't as cut and dry as it was 10 years ago. Before it was about the superiority of your product. Nowadays tech is as much about productivity as it is about catching on to popular trends now and predicting what will become popular in the future. Look at TiVo, it's release went ignored for 3 years, finally it caught on fast, and then in a few short lasting years it died. SF Bay Area and Japan are the innovation capitals of the world, not just the superiority of our production but our cachet on trends. LA is already turning a new leaf on its economy of the future.

Last edited by scrantiX; 10-22-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I would opt to live if I couldn't live in NY (Boston and Miami would be the others).

LA has its charms but it's not my kind of town. It is way too autocentric, doesn't have a proper urban core, has crappy nightlife, and a culture that is way too liberal for me. The climate and scenery are great, but climate and scenery don't make a great city. Its prominence is mainly a function of Hollywood and the city's explosive growth due to the massive Mexican immigration of the last 30 years.
EXCUSE ME??

Is there something I'm missing or are you really suggesting Miami is less autocentric than LA?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
EXCUSE ME??

Is there something I'm missing or are you really suggesting Miami is less autocentric than LA?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he was weighing more the nightlife in regards to Miami

Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,568,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he was weighing more the nightlife in regards to Miami
I'm going out on a limb and saying he hasn't spent much time here.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,301,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
EXCUSE ME??

No I am not suggesting that. But I prefer the cultural flavor and atmosphere of Miami. I like the beaches and the warm ocean, the nightlife, the vertical lifestyle (at least along the coast), and I love South Beach. I also think you get a much better bang for the buck in FL.

California no doubt has a degree of depth and sophistication that's lacking in FL, but it is just not a great fit for me culturally or geographically.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
No I am not suggesting that. But I prefer the cultural flavor and atmosphere of Miami. I like the beaches and the warm ocean, the nightlife, the vertical lifestyle (at least along the coast), and I love South Beach. I also think you get a much better bang for the buck in FL.
This is how I feel about the two compared to one another.

What I like about Miami, actually all of my top like 7 favorite cities with the exception of Washington is how they utilize a large water front and build around it. It's that way in Chicago, New York, Boston, Seattle, Miami, & San Francisco.

It's sort of beautiful how a downtown can come to an end right there along a shoreline of some sort. I've always wondered why Los Angeles built itself inland (downtown) because it had so much potential if it were more along the coast. It's one detractor for me. I also happen to agree with the "better bang for the buck" statement too. Miami is a very reasonably priced place for everything you get and the eccentricity, uniqueness, energy, vibe, & setting are fantastic.

Also if it means anything, I like skylines on large bodies of water. Somewhere like Brickell Key or Miami Beach is just beautiful in my opinion. In Chicago I lived in River North & it's just a very beautiful view of the skyline & Lake Michigan. Breathtaking you could say.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-23-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
This is how I feel about the two compared to one another.

What I like about Miami, actually all of my top like 7 favorite cities with the exception of Washington is how they utilize a large water front and build around it. It's that way in Chicago, New York, Boston, Seattle, Miami, & San Francisco.

It's sort of beautiful how a downtown can come to an end right there along a shoreline of some sort. I've always wondered why Los Angeles built itself inland (downtown) because it had so much potential if it were more along the coast. It's one detractor for me. I also happen to agree with the "better bang for the buck" statement too. Miami is a very reasonably priced place for everything you get and he eccentricity, uniqueness, energy, vibe, & setting are fantastic.

Also if it means anything, I like skylines on large bodies of water. Somewhere like Brickell Key or Miami Beach is just beautiful in my opinion. In Chicago I lived in River North & it's just a very beautiful view of the skyline & Lake Michigan. Breathtaking you could say.
Well, the easy answer is fresh water. You needed that to establish a city and that's where you grow from.

LA's non-shoreline bits just northeast from downtown with their hills and little valleys are fantastic though and the view of the city from up in the hills and mountains are amazing.

LA could have and should have been so much more. If it had kept much of its built form from its boom years in the early 20th century as well as some of its subsequent construction, then LA would be the best of all worlds. A climactically and geographically blessed urban, walkable city. I'm just grateful that downtown LA has been able to have the turnaround it's had in recent years, but it always seem like there could have been so much more.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM

484 posts, read 872,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
It's sort of beautiful how a downtown can come to an end right there along a shoreline of some sort. I've always wondered why Los Angeles built itself inland (downtown) because it had so much potential if it were more along the coast. It's one detractor for me. I also happen to agree with the "better bang for the buck" statement too. Miami is a very reasonably priced place for everything you get and the eccentricity, uniqueness, energy, vibe, & setting are fantastic.
There is a reason why LA (Downtown) is where it is, and it makes perfect sense. It's discussed in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ilt-along.html

Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times
Does anyone have a link to that "all the most powerful city lists rolled into one" list that used to circle around this board frequently? It's green. I can't seem to find it using the search function...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Does anyone have a link to that "all the most powerful city lists rolled into one" list that used to circle around this board frequently? It's green. I can't seem to find it using the search function...
Seach on 18Montclair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City