Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
This is from someone who said just a week ago:

"I've seen Chicago ranked as high #4 in GDP, ahead of London and Paris. Do you see why leaning EXCLUSIVELY on GDP is a fail?"

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...cities-12.html

Oh Raymond what would we do without you...
Except L.A. beats Chicago in more than just that one area (manufacturing, international trade). Not as important as accounting firm office space, but kinda a big deal for some.

PS - If you include the larger metropolitan areas of Paris and London they surpass Chicago in GDP as well. (18montclair has the graph on that one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,301,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Except L.A. beats Chicago in more than just that one area (manufacturing, international trade). Not as important as accounting firm office space, but kinda a big deal for some.

PS - If you include the larger metropolitan areas of Paris and London they surpass Chicago in GDP as well. (18montclair has the graph on that one).
That's right, manufacturing is not as important as finance, law and other high end service sectors. This is the 21st century, not the 19th. And that is why LA consistently punches below its weight in surveys of economic power and strategic business importance.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
That's right, manufacturing is not as important as finance, law and other high end service sectors. This is the 21st century, not the 19th. And that is why LA consistently punches below its weight in surveys of economic power and strategic business importance.
I love the dismissiveness. Without actual goods to trade, your white collar boys in Chicago are jumping off the nearest skyscraper they can find.

Chicago is stronger for finance. Some people take that to mean its our nation's #2 city. Those people are wrong.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Quote:
I love the dismissiveness. Without actual goods to trade, your white collar boys in Chicago are jumping off the nearest skyscraper they can find.

Chicago is stronger for finance. Some people take that to mean its our nation's #2 city. Those people are wrong.
I'm glad you brought up trade. LA takes it for international but Chicago leads LA in logistics and trade of goods overall. Trade is a larger impact domestically in the US.

Chicago is also a much more important business center than LA. It's a corporate giant. Do you work in finance Chandler? It doesn't sound like it the way you keep saying "just finance". Do you realize it's a massive industry that encompasses a large number of sectors. Chicago leads the world in trade derivatives. CME group owns and operates CBOT, NYMEX, Dow Jones Industrial, and Chicago MEX. The third largest service card company Discover also calls Chicago home and that can only be said of SF's VISA and NYC's MasterCard and American Express.

I work in finance (insurance) lol and spend a good deal of time in Frankfurt, Chicago, Toronto, London, SF, Boston, Geneva, D.C., etc.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,301,685 times
Quote:

Manufacturing is what we have been outsourcing to third world countries for decades. Any idea why? I'll let you think about it.

Most of the developed world has moved on to service oriented economies long time ago because that's the kind of high value added, sophisticated stuff that enables us to continue grow our economies and maintain our competitive advantage. Hence more than 2/3 of developed economies' GDP comes from services. If you want to compete with Guangzhus and Calcuttas of the world then you should focus on manufacturing. But if you want to be in the big boys club you need to get competitive in high end services.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,531 times
Co-signed by Paris Hilton & Lindsay Lohan.

Quote:
When Chicago's GDP gets within $300 billion of L.A., I'll take accounting office lists like this one more seriously.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Co-signed by Paris Hilton & Lindsay Lohan.
I guess that call won't be coming anytime soon, huh?

Maybe GaWC can make a list for this category. Chicago does well here:

Chicago: ”The Deadliest Global City” « Pat Dollard

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Manufacturing is what we have been outsourcing to third world countries for decades. Any idea why? I'll let you think about it.

Most of the developed world has moved on to service oriented economies long time ago because that's the kind of high value added, sophisticated stuff that enables us to continue grow our economies and maintain our competitive advantage. Hence more than 2/3 of developed economies' GDP comes from services. If you want to compete with Guangzhus and Calcuttas of the world then you should focus on manufacturing. But if you want to be in the big boys club you need to get competitive in high end services.

Cool. That means that 2/3 of L.A.'s GDP comes from services as well, and since that total is likely higher than Chicago's entire GDP, we're good, right?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 AM

Crying babies need to read this

America has Unfavorable opinion of Los Angeles. Guess your behavior in this forum is probably an indication LOL

"The most unpopular is Detroit, which only 22% see positively and 49% negatively.
Americans have net-negative impressions of only two other of these cities: Oakland, CA
(21-39) and Los Angeles
(33-40)."

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._US_042012.pdf

This is quite "global", isn't it?

Detroit, LA on the list of the most hated cities in the world - Sacramento Budget Travel | Examiner.com

Quote:
I guess that call won't be coming anytime soon, huh?

Maybe GaWC can make a list for this category. Chicago does well here:

Chicago: ”The Deadliest Global City” « Pat Dollard

Last edited by downtown1; 10-19-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 AM

100% with you on that. I was being sarcastic in my previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Global power is based well on power, what companies make big decisions that send ripples through the economy, where policy is made, where investments are made, how much of a global reach they have, what companies use their knowledge to consult, make legal matters, etc.

No surprises here really with exception of Miami, though I could see it given it's high connectivity with latin america and all the firms there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City