Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times

Advertisements

Detroit. 4th year running. Is anyone even holding their breath to visit? Like seriously? I kinda think it's humorous that people are waiting to visit until Detroit until we get lower on the list despite the many incidences of those visiting and having been completely unaffected by crime. If it's so bad, how come Chicago is stealing all the attention?

Also, where's Flint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 PM

289 posts, read 396,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, let's see...

Average Family Income, 2 workers, Husband & Wife
2011 Census Estimate

Atlanta, GA $157,070
Can you share your link to this data?

The median data here on city-data doesn't come anywhere close to this number; and unemployment in the city is reported at greater than 10%.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Can you share your link to this data?

The median data here on city-data doesn't come anywhere close to this number; and unemployment in the city is reported at greater than 10%.
factfinder2.census.gov is the source. enter Atlanta city, Georgia under the geography and search Mean Income

Here is a screenshot I took and I drew a yellow box over the income stat.

Mean=Average.

As far as the unemployment rate--some cities have high unemployment and high crime rates but those factors DO NOT define them as places, in fact its obvious that Atlanta is very popular with wealthy and educated people despite the crime and whatnot.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I don't think of Atlanta as a dangerous city. I guess I don't know much about it.
We've got our bad spots, but they are easily avoidable for the most part.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 PM

Furthermore, according to the source for the First Post of this thread, Santa Ana is the 4th safest city in the US and Oakland is the 3rd most dangerous city but look at huge advantage the former has in affluence, desirability and educational attainment.

Average Family Income, 2 workers, Husband & Wife, 2011 Census Estimate
Oakland, CA $139,474
Santa Ana, CA $75,100

Housing Unites valued at $1,000,000+, 2011 Census Estimate
Oakland, CA 4,662
Santa Ana, CA 637

Adults with a Bachelor Degree or Higher, 2011 Census Estimate
Oakland, CA 38.0%
Santa Ana, CA 11.9%

Point being, you can't judge a book by its cover and in the same vein, many cities can't really be judged by their crime rates alone.

Not bad for the 3rd most dangerous city in the US:
Oakland
http://pix.idxre.com/pix/clientPhoto...iginal_060.jpg
http://pix.idxre.com/pix/clientPhoto...iginal_045.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 10-25-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
factfinder2.census.gov is the source. enter Atlanta city, Georgia under the geography and search Mean Income

Here is a screenshot I took and I drew a yellow box over the income stat.

Mean=Average.

As far as the unemployment rate--some cities have high unemployment and high crime rates but those factors DO NOT define them as places, in fact its obvious that Atlanta is very popular with wealthy and educated people despite the crime and whatnot.
By absolutely no way does mean = average to anyone who cares to honestly represent data. Would you care to draw any correlation between the randomly reported "facts" you have reported?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:10 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Like Mont said, Oakland's a terrific place to visit and live, I prefer spending my weekends there over San Francisco. The city is beautiful too and has the best weather in the US IMO. It's very well educated, wealthy, beautiful, culturally unique, and anchors a prominent and large portion of eastbay an area with some of the worlds largest and most powerful companies as well as home to the worlds greatest public university, the University of California- Berkeley.

Last edited by JMT; 10-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: No insulting others' intelligence, please.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
By absolutely no way does mean = average to anyone who cares to honestly represent data. Would you care to draw any correlation between the randomly reported "facts" you have reported?
Yawn...no need to be a sore loser. You tried to call me out and failed. Get over it.

Quote:
The mean is the average of the data. It comes from adding together all of the numbers and dividing by the number of numbers you have.
Mean Median Mode | Reference.com Answers

Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Yawn...no need to be a sore loser. You tried to call me out and failed. Get over it.

Mean Median Mode | Reference.com Answers
Seriously?

You're cherry-picking numbers. I have no horse in this race other than being fascinated by the number you put up for Atlanta and pointing out what this website (not the forums) report. The median household income reported by CD is no more than $60-65k. That is actually backed up by the website that you provided when I asked.

I know math. I don't need to reference websites for definitions. You provided the data, where is the correlation in that data?

Last edited by JMT; 10-25-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language

Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Seriously?

You're cherry-picking numbers.
No, I put the average family income for families in the city of Atlanta where both husband and wife work using the most current data from the US Census Bureau--if your questioning the data forward your complaint to the Census Bureau.

Quote:
I know math. I don't need to reference websites for definitions.
Apparently you DONT KNOW math because you said this, remember?

By absolutely no way does mean = average to anyone who cares to honestly represent data.-Toroid

^This is 100% false.

Anything else you need clarified?

Last edited by JMT; 10-25-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City