Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,962,553 times

Advertisements

where is FBI 2012 Complete list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
where is FBI 2012 Complete list
Have to wait until 2012 ends I suppose! The Forbes lists are so useless.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:07 AM

289 posts, read 396,758 times
Rudeness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Can you share your link to this data?

The median data here on city-data doesn't come anywhere close to this number; and unemployment in the city is reported at greater than 10%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
factfinder2.census.gov is the source. enter Atlanta city, Georgia under the geography and search Mean Income

Here is a screenshot I took and I drew a yellow box over the income stat.

Mean=Average.

As far as the unemployment rate--some cities have high unemployment and high crime rates but those factors DO NOT define them as places, in fact its obvious that Atlanta is very popular with wealthy and educated people despite the crime and whatnot.
Quote:
By absolutely no way does mean = average to anyone who cares to honestly represent data. Would you care to draw any correlation between the randomly reported "facts" you have reported?
Quote:
Yawn...no need to be a sore loser. You tried to call me out and failed. Get over it.

Mean Median Mode | Reference.com Answers
Quote:
Yes, I suspected the same thing from the get go but I have a bad habit of responding in like fashion to rudeness.

Anyway, the reason why I specifically chose MEAN income is to illustrate that some of these 'most dangerous' cities attract more higher income families than cities that are supposedly the 'safest' so these kind of damning rankings don't really tell the whole story.
What is rude about asking someone to explain numbers that they've provided? If you are going to post numbers expect that people question them. When someone asks for the data directly and is only provided with a screenshot and vague instructions on how to possibly obtain the data they are not being rude by pointing out that your being protective of numbers to support to your claim.

With no context to the data you provided establishing statistical correlation is questionable. Asking for the data is not rude.

What is rude is the following:

Quote:
Yawn...no need to be a sore loser. You tried to call me out and failed. Get over it.
That was your response to me questioning your data.

Somehow I lost for asking about the data you posted. Asking for a source and not receiving it is somehow a failure? Get over what?

I visit Atlanta fairly frequently, I'll be there within the next week on business. Have you ever actually been to Atlanta?

When someone makes a claim such as the one you posted there is nothing rude about being outright shocked by the number on its face value. The average income you described is outrageously skewed. If questioning those numbers is rude then consider me rude.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
When someone makes a claim such as the one you posted there is nothing rude about being outright shocked by the number on its face value.
When you ask for a source and someone gives it to you, it is rude to then respond by saying "By absolutely no way does mean = average to anyone who cares to honestly represent data."

FACT: The Census Bureau says that Mean=Average.
Frequently Asked Questions - U.S Census Bureau

Dont like that? Take it up with them but dont accuse someone of misrepresenting data after they've shown you exactly where the data comes from.

Quote:
The average income you described is outrageously skewed.
You can cry foul all you want but the number comes directly from the US Census Bureau-whether you agree with it or not is moot because their research is obviously less skewed than your personal perception.

Quote:
If questioning those numbers is rude then consider me rude.
Not to mention melodramatic, emotional and confrontational.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM

6,568 posts, read 12,070,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I don't think of Atlanta as a dangerous city. I guess I don't know much about it.
That's funny, most people think Atlanta is a lot more dangerous than it really is.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM

630 posts, read 995,585 times
Most dangerous cities

Detroit
Philadelphia
Oakland
Camden, NJ

Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,994,177 times
The reason that Atlanta's violent crime rates and household incomes are both high is largely the same: the city covers a relatively small portion of the metro area. The 420,000 people who live in the City of Atlanta are hardly typical of metro Atlanta: you've got some very crime-ridden and depressed areas, you've got some ultra-elite residential districts, and a ton of younger singles and couples.

If you were to add everything within 10-15 miles of downtown Atlanta, you'd end up capturing a whole lot more middle-class suburban families. Lower median incomes, with lower crime rates.

That's not to say Atlanta's crime rate isn't highish...it definitely is. Other cities have similar city limit/metro area ratios and don't find themselves on the list. But if you have ~40% of your metro area in the core city, it will be a whole lot easier to avoid lists like this, since your city limits will probably contain a lot of middle class residential areas that tend to be very low in crime.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:42 PM

9,356 posts, read 13,024,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Most dangerous cities

Detroit
Philadelphia
Oakland
Camden, NJ
Two of these things are not like the others.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,665,971 times
I hate rankings of city propers. Most of us don't compare city propers when we talk about amenities, culture, etc so why crime? If you plan on moving into the city itself it's best to check the specific neighborhood (the overall average will be worthless to you).

If we were to rank by metros, you'll find that most American cities are more similar than we'd like to believe.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I hate rankings of city propers. Most of us don't compare city propers when we talk about amenities, culture, etc so why crime? If you plan on moving into the city itself it's best to check the specific neighborhood (the overall average will be worthless to you).

If we were to rank by metros, you'll find that most American cities are more similar than we'd like to believe.

Exactly...it's basically a listing of which cities were former industrial giants, abandoned by white flight, which haven't fully undergone regentrification yet. You're still no less likely to get jacked in the worst parts of Manhattan, SF, or LA than you would be in Detroit, Camden or Newark. The hood is still the hood and you can find desperate and violent people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City