Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:25 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
You better check yourself when in one of these cities.
Maybe you should walk unarmed through Hunters Point, SF or East Harlem, NY typing on your I-Pad with gold chain and watch glistening in full glory. No need to check yourself in those meccas of tourism and personal safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,994,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
And with a population of 450K-500K that turns out to a murder rate of 20/1000 people, which is considered very high by most. If you prorated that rate with a larger city like Chicago it'd be 568 homicides (assuming 2.75M pop.), or for New York City it'd be 1,757 (assuming 8.5M pop.).

Those are pretty deplorable figures, even though Chicago is pretty much gunning for that figure (pardon the pun).
Right, but as said earlier, we're talking apples and oranges when you have small city limits.

If you add together Fulton County and Dekalb County (which is by no means cherry-picking a low-crime part of the metro) you end up with 1.65 million people and 186 murders in 2011, or a much less abnormal rate of 11 murders per 100,000 people. The metro as a whole has a murder rate of 6 per 100,000 people.

http://gbi.georgia.gov/sites/gbi.geo...ary-Report.pdf

It doesn't excuse Atlanta's murder rate or anything, but it's vital context. Atlanta's murder rate isn't watered-down by relatively safe suburban areas.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,201,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Right, but as said earlier, we're talking apples and oranges when you have small city limits.

If you add together Fulton County and Dekalb County (which is by no means cherry-picking a low-crime part of the metro) you end up with 1.65 million people and 186 murders in 2011, or a much less abnormal rate of 11 murders per 100,000 people. The metro as a whole has a murder rate of 6 per 100,000 people.

http://gbi.georgia.gov/sites/gbi.geo...ary-Report.pdf

It doesn't excuse Atlanta's murder rate or anything, but it's vital context. Atlanta's murder rate isn't watered-down by relatively safe suburban areas.
11 per 100,000 is TERRIBLE for an entire county! I wouldn't use that as an example of a "good" crime situation, personally. I can imagine Cook County is potentially much worse though, especially since many Chicago-area suburbs are just as bad if not worse than parts of the city (like Harvey, Maywood, South Holland, or the dreaded Gary).

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,994,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
11 per 100,000 is TERRIBLE for an entire county! I wouldn't use that as an example of a "good" crime situation, personally. I can imagine Cook County is potentially much worse though, especially since many Chicago-area suburbs are just as bad if not worse than parts of the city (like Harvey, Maywood, South Holland, or the dreaded Gary).
My point is that our city limits are small; you can combine metro Atlanta's two core counties and it's still much smaller in terms of population than Chicago's city limits or core county (keep in mind Atlanta's counties are also tiny). It would probably be a more accurate comparison of violent crime to take whatever logical boundaries capture x% of the MSA (in this case, 30%) and look at the murder rate for that region.

I didn't say 11 per 100000 was good. But it's not some crazy anomaly for the core 30% portion of a metro area of 5 million. I mean, Houston has 270 murders in a region of 2 million, or a murder rate of 13/100,000 in the core third of its MSA (which just happens to be its city limits). Basically an identical crime situation to Atlanta. The only real difference is the city limit boundaries, which are totally arbitrary.

Houston city limits
Population: 2.1 million (~30% of MSA)
Murder rate: 13/100,000

Chicago city limits
Population: 2.7 million (~30% of MSA)
Murder rate: 16/100,000

Fulton & Dekalb Counties
Population: 1.65 million (~30% of MSA)
Murder rate: 11/100,000

Atlanta just doesn't stand out much imo. It's not like Houston and Chicago are fabulous company to be in, but those cities have a tough time making it on the OMG MOST DANGEROUS CITIES list by virtue of their large city limits, which contain lots of lower crime areas. Atlanta doesn't have that luxury.

Not trying to pick on any city in particular; Chicago and Houston happen to have city limits equal to 30% of MSA population, which makes them good for comparison.

Like I said earlier, some cities are in the same boat as Atlanta (namely Miami and Boston) and they don't find themselves on the "most dangerous" lists. Kudos to them for doing a better job and being safer than Atlanta.

Note: if you wanted to be a bit more pessimistic about Atlanta, you could add in Clayton County, which has a murder rate of about 11.5/100,000. Other than that, all Atlanta MSA counties are way, way below the Fulton/Dekalb average.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,201,059 times
^I agree that regions make more sense as a unit of measurement than city limits.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
I don't think anyone's being pessimistic about ATL, people just realize that places like Bankhead, Zone 6 and the SWATS still exist.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:05 PM

151 posts, read 367,001 times
atlanta is the most dangerous city in the world. there are several murders per day in the metro area. here's a timeline and example of what happens everyday in a dump like atlanta:

July 12, 1999: Disgruntled boyfriend Cyrano A. Marks, 39, killed his girlfriend and five other members of her family at her Atlanta home. He committed suicide the same day, making a total of seven lives lost. The only survivor of the attack was the 11-year-old son of his girlfriend, who hid in a closet for hours after being wounded.
July 29, 1999: Stockbridge resident Mark O. Barton, 44, shot and killed nine people and injured 13 more at two day-trading firms in Buckhead. Barton committed suicide hours later at a gas station in Acworth. Police later searched Barton’s home and found the bodies of his wife and two young children. All had been killed with a hammer.
March 11, 2005: Rape suspect Brian Gene Nichols, 31, took a gun from a guard at the Fulton County Courthouse and shot and killed three people, including the judge presiding over his trial. After escaping the courthouse, he later killed a federal agent. Nichols, convicted Nov. 7, 2008, of 54 crimes including multiple counts of murder, is serving a sentence of life in prison.
March 19, 2006: Four people, including three teens, were fatally stabbed at a popular youth hangout in Forsyth County. Jason Samuel McGhee, 31, pleaded guilty to four counts of murder in 2011 and was sentenced to life in prison. Marcin Sosniak and Frank Ortegon Jr. await trial in the killings.
October 24, 2009: A man was shot 31 times and found dead near the intersection of Lisbon and Cahoon Streets in southwest Atlanta Saturday, police said. Police are looking for two gunmen, one armed with an assault rifle, who killed the man in broad daylight.
August 28, 2009: Four people are dead and a child injured after a shooting in Lawrenceville. 4-year-old girl answered the officer’s raps on the front door. Her shirt was drenched in blood. Paramedics immediately cut off her clothing. They found a bullet wound in her chest.
Jan. 12, 2010: Jesse James Warren, a 60-year-old resident of Temple, allegedly shot and killed three people and seriously injured two more at a Penske Truck Rental near Kennesaw. Warren, a former Penske employee, is awaiting trial on murder charges.
May 7, 2011: Three dead after standoff. Police are still trying to piece together what led to a triple murder in a DeKalb County neighborhood. Charles Reeves, who witnessed the incident, said he was woken up from a fight going on in the middle of the street. “The young lady was screaming. She was screaming loud, ‘Please help me! Help me! Please don’t kill me!’” he said.
October 6, 2011: Three dead in apparent murder-suicide in northeast Atlanta.
Atlanta police say the killings of two men and a woman apparently stemmed from a dispute between the woman and her former boyfriend. Police say the woman, 50-year-old Angela Pearson, was found dead in her home on Thursday along with her son, 24-year-old Darryl Pearson, and the ex-boyfriend, Charlie Woods.Investigators say all three apparently died of gunshot wounds.
February 22, 2012: The murder of five people at the Su Jung Health Sauna in Norcross was one of the most violent incidents in Atlanta crime history. But Atlanta is no stranger to mass murder
October 25. 2012: At least one person was shot and killed on Wednesday morning during prayer service at the suburban Atlanta megachurch run by pastor Creflo Dollar.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,555,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We've got our bad spots, but they are easily avoidable for the most part.
Yep. Atlanta is not bad if you just use common sense, like most places.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,555,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
atlanta is the most dangerous city in the world. there are several murders per day in the metro area. here's a timeline and example of what happens everyday in a dump like atlanta:
Most dangerous city in the world? I'm no mega-Atlanta fan, but I've lived there on and off for three years now and am still alive.

No one will deny that it is a perfect city, but the 'most dangerous' is farfetched.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:30 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Eleven examples in a 13-year period now constitutes what happens "every day". Gotta love the bloodlust on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City