Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,388,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That sounds about right. I can't believe I forgot about the Dakotas and perhaps Arizona too.
Yeah, can't win 'em all. However, more importantly, maybe this will mean that the right person will be chosen for the job based on their qualifications. Maybe in a few years down the line, all of this ethnic politicking stuff won't even matter. One can hope though, eh?

I think if people are comfortable with someone of another "race" or "ethnicity" leading them, that's the sign that these issues aren't that huge anymore. Of course, the House of Representatives represents local areas, but its a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I also think that there needs to be some explanation in regards to some information. For instance, the poverty percentage can be skewed for certain places like college towns, as students that live off campus are included into the poverty percentage or at least that is what I've been told.
Just so we're clear on this, I never posted the socioeconomic statistics & income/poverty stuff here. Just standard mono-y-mono diversity comparison of the metropolitans above 3 million. How they stack up in numbers of such people & others.

I'm actually more interested in knowing how people of different backgrounds live in different regions across America. I think some injustice is propaganda'ed on this board about how immigrants live "post-America". I think people get this discerning belief that those immigrants somehow lose their culture and adhere to the American way of life. While this is increasingly true for the generations born here, it doesn't hold up weight with the immigrant grandparents or parents that well. It's interesting to see which places have had a considerable generational lead on diversity versus cities that are more or less making their impact now & onwards into the future.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 PM

78 posts, read 208,333 times
HELLO EVERYONE! I would be glad to answer this question for anyone. I have done alot of research over the years and have studied the subject and compared from many different sources of data, maps, surveys as well as my own personal assesments. Not withstanding the fact that I've lived in many different places in America from high income to Low income, African-American, Hispanic and White communities accross the country as thus far I would have to say concretely that.. FIRST: Statistics can be very decieving. (Atlanta may be ethnically diverse, but just as it's confederate history would indicate it is NOT very integrated) To call ATlanta diverse is an utter joke, true it may be more so than in other and especially rural areas of the adjacent south, but I would not consider it "diverse" not by a long haul.

Within the confines of the United States, which isn't always as integrated and inclusionary as one is lead to think, the most diverse cities when it comes to race, sexuality, nationality, etc.. in my good experience are as follows.. and not in any particular order:

1. Miami
2. San Francsico Bay Area
3. New York City
4. Los Angeles
5. Hawaii
6. Washingtion D.C.
7. Chicago
8. Seattle
9. Orlando
10. Las Vegas

Miami is one of the most accepting cities when it come to nationality, race and sexuality. Almost everyone is in Miami is PROUDLY from another country and speaks another language. Cubans, Italians, Nicaraguans, Jamaicans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Guyanese, Indians, Brazilains, Spaniards, French, Africans, Panamanians, Germans, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, Hatians, Dominacans, Puerto Ricans, Argentines, Chileans, Bahamians, Bajans, Trinidadis, Russians, Romanians, Surinamese, did I say Cubans? etc, etc, so on and so on. I've met them all while living there.. Including a lady from little "Aruba" who taught me few words in her native language., A popular thing to do is to guess where people are from based on their accent or their looks. Racism is rather minimal nowadays in Miami, however "class" lines are often distinguished between those of greater or lesser education or "culture" but generally it's generally very welcoming towards outsiders of all types and colors. The weather is Warm to Hot, Humid and very Rainy (Especially in the summer Monsoon season when you'd swear your somewhere in the South Pacific). The Geography is flat, green and the citiy is rather sprawling and suburban. It feels pretty safe in most areas but be prepared for the overwhelming number of Spanish Speakers, Radio Stations, Billboards and eateries. "Miamenses" as we call ourselves are very fond of our backrounds and will speak Spanish (or which ever other language we grew up with) at any given opportunity and even if it makes the Northern tourists feel uncomfortable. But If you are open to other cultures you will feel welcome there, if you are not then look elsewhere.

Orlando and other metro areas of the southern half of Florida also enjoy a similar diverse mentality. Not so the case north of Orlando however such as in Jacksonville or Pensacola, where conferedate beliefs are pretty strong. So much so that South Floridians refer to this part of the state as "South Georgia" or "Lower Alabama" depending on what part.

Northern California is amongst the most liberal and diverse parts of the country with large numbers of Asians (The highest in the nation), Hispanics (Mostly Mexican and Central American), African-Americans (rare for the American West), Caucasians and other smaller pan-global communities. Also there is a large LGBT community there that enjoys state level protection. Cities such as Sacramento, Modesto, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Richmond, Oakland, Berkeley, San Mateo and Palo Alto are all pretty diverse. I do however, detect some slight ethnicim or classism there, especially toward Mexicans or Southeast Asians. This is after all California, Home of the snooty "Valley Girl" stereotype. With that said the weather there is INCREDIBLE. Never too cold, never too hot, sunny with just enough rainfall to make everything green. It's Ocean, Bays and Mountains are very pleasant to the eyes and the Economy is TOP-KNOTCH and World Class. Truely a special place to live.

New York City! The most diverse city in America by far. Every race and world nationalty represented and even has their own neigborhood! But it comes with a big price tag. Not many people in America can actually settle down in the Big Apple due to to it's imposing bleak urbanity, high cost of living, over-crowdedness and depressing weather. New York City is not a pretty sight nor is it not for the faint hearted. The New York stereotype we all see in the movies is actually pretty accurate. Most people quickly assimilate into the greater "New York culture" forgetting their roots, language and accents for the much louder and gregarious New York mannerisms. The economy is pretty strong depending on what part of the city, but most successful New Yorkers live outside of the city like in Jersey, Connecticut, Long Island or Mid-State because who would even fathom living in such a dreary, chaotic concrete canyon at such a high price. As far as the gay community I'm not sure but I've heard it's pretty large. Honestly I cannot see the average New Yorker (or Bostonian for that matter) holding hands or playing hopscotch with their fruity Gay neighbors or playing poker with an Himalayan Transvestite. Um NO Aint gonna happen! Northeastern mentalities are quite closed and biggotry as well as racism, is very very common in that part of the country, despite their democtraic voter value.

Las Vegas! Yes I think Las Vegas is a wonderfully liberal, diverse and Open-Minded place. I lived there for almost a year and although I would have never thought of liking the place, I thought it was fenomenal. It's the atmosphere and culture is that if you have money to spend or time to visit the place they don't care where your from, what you look like, who you screw or what your carry below the waist. Besides it's so much fun there even if you're not a gambler. All of the cool sights and attractions, the sunny (and seasonally VERY HOT weather), palm trees, restaurants and Colorful Plazas. Las Vegas is truely a special town.

Last edited by MontyEX; 03-08-2013 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
Your list got whacky after #4.

LV is in the top ten? really? For Race, Nationality and Sexuality?

How much time have you spent off the strip? You could probably make an argument for the strip, but outside of that its just lower income hispanics and whites for as far as the eye can see.

I also live in Orlando before Houston. Orlando wouldn't come in my top ten either. Miami would not be in my top five

Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, and Boston.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Your list got whacky after #4.

LV is in the top ten? really? For Race, Nationality and Sexuality?

How much time have you spent off the strip? You could probably make an argument for the strip, but outside of that its just lower income hispanics and whites for as far as the eye can see.

I also live in Orlando before Houston. Orlando wouldn't come in my top ten either. Miami would not be in my top five

Yes, actually Las Vegas is definitely up there. I lived on the South East side of town near Tropicana and Pecos among local and long-time residents......... many of whom were very comfortably MIDDLE INCOME HISPANICS (you racist stereotyper, let me guess you're from Arizona or Texas). Anyways, Very nice people. Even according to most surveys, statistics and Polls It consistently ranks in the top as on of the most welcoming places for Gay Travellers as well as has a large Gay community (pecentage-wise much greater than Los Angeles). Ethnically I say it's pretty diverse and welcoming as well. Miami definitely! Without a doubt. Trust me, I'm from there I would know. Wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

You can't truely call a place diverse or Inclusionary if everyone, including blacks, descriminate heavily against the Mexicans. I don't care how acceptable this may be, but it's not a sign of diversity!

Last edited by MontyEX; 03-08-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM

I would have said Portland, OR. but the only thing is that while the locals brag about beeing so inclusionary, the city is actually one of the LEAST diverse cities in the nation. Maybe it's because it's so off the "beaten track" or the weather just sucks, who knows. Not to mention it also beeing a hot-bed for extremist Hate groups.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, and Boston.
What sort of blasphemy is this?

This thread's about most diverse cities and those three are some of the least diverse places in this damn country. Seriously, who gives people like this computer access?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM

85 posts, read 161,035 times
I have a hard time of considering California diverse considering that black and white people are leaving the state by the hundreds of thousands.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyEX View Post

1. Miami
2. San Francsico Bay Area
3. New York City
4. Los Angeles
5. Hawaii
6. Washingtion D.C.
7. Chicago
8. Seattle
9. Orlando
10. Las Vegas
I think the argument can easily be made for 1 - 7, but I don't understand how Seattle, Orlando, and Las Vegas are more diverse than Boston. I haer that Dallas and Houston are also very diverse. I think that all three should probably be ahead of at least Las Vegas and Seattle.

I mean, it's great that you enjoyed living there, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's diverse.

And what's up with "Hawaii"? Why suddenly compare a whole state to individual cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Well first I'm going to go ahead and make my intentions clear, I'm not as big of a diversity advocate as it may seem. I'm a firm believer of meeting people with intriguing personalities & establishing connections or networks with them more so than doing it for the country, ethnicity, or race they derive from.

This is something I've been working on for a few days now. I unfortunately couldn't post it earlier as I am in Boston as of the current moment. All the matter, to whom it may concern- enjoy!

I think this forum could use a thread where we just get all of this information settled with so we have a reference point.
I was wondering, you repeated a few catagories. Or atleast the first was "overseas" and the other was "immigrants", with different numbers and rankings. For example, Boston had slightly more "overseas" Africans than Atlanta, then Atlanta had slightly more "immigrants". San Francisco had more "overseas" South Americans, and Boston had more South American "immigrants" . What's the difference exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City