Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has biggest inferiority complex? Cleveland or Philadelphia? Is there a city that has a wo
Cleveland, OH 22 45.83%
Philadelphia, PA 26 54.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,203,554 times

Advertisements

How would someone who isn't completely familiar with both cities honestly be able to answer this poll question?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 PM

230 posts, read 287,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Today, as my generation begins to mature, I see a lot more Philly pride then I did when I was a kid. City council is still on a level of corruption that makes Chicago politicians green with envy, but crime is improving, neighborhoods are revitalizing, people are returning to a city they can be proud of. We'll see if something can happen to bring jobs back to town and keep the growth happening, but I, for one, have high hopes.
Great post. The old "Can't Do" spirit is definitely on the wane. For all the problems that we have, people here have a lot more recognition and respect for what's great about this city than they did when I was growing up. Even in this tough economy, there's a sense of pride. It's heartening to see and hear so much positive energy as you go around town. This used to be a city where people would find reasons why things couldn't be done, and then not do them. Now it's becoming a place where people find ways to make things happen, no matter who says they can't. Still a lot of work to be done, but the change in attitude is gratifying to watch. Here's hoping that this city continues to realize it's true untapped potential.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,558,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
How would someone who isn't completely familiar with both cities honestly be able to answer this poll question?

welcome to CD!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 PM

587 posts, read 1,413,224 times
I don't know much of anything about Cleveland. But a lot of people from Philly act like its a no-name town when it's not. Many people in Philly act like Philadelphia is Baltimore or something. Philly is the fifth biggest city in the United States. It is no secret that Philly has much more history than most American cities. Living in Maryland, I like Philly much better than both Baltimore and DC. In my opinion, Philly is infinitely more cosmopolitan than both Baltimore and DC (yeah, I said more cosmopolitan than DC as well). In some ways I like Philly better than NYC. Why? There is an actual sense of community in many parts of Philly unlike New York where you are just another anonymous face among millions and millions of people. Philly is not called the city of brotherly love for no reason. Also, in areas like Center City, people of all races and nationalities seem to get along. Go to Center City any weekend of the year and you will see many, many different types of interracial couples and racially ambiguous mixed people. Yes, Philly, as a whole, is very segregated which is very well documented, but areas like Center City are very socially progressive which I appreciate as a multiracial Bay Area native.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,987,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I don't know much of anything about Cleveland. But a lot of people from Philly act like its a no-name town when it's not. Many people in Philly act like Philadelphia is Baltimore or something. Philly is the fifth biggest city in the United States. It is no secret that Philly has much more history than most American cities. Living in Maryland, I like Philly much better than both Baltimore and DC. In my opinion, Philly is infinitely more cosmopolitan than both Baltimore and DC (yeah, I said more cosmopolitan than DC as well). In some ways I like Philly better than NYC. Why? There is an actual sense of community in many parts of Philly unlike New York where you are just another anonymous face among millions and millions of people. Philly is not called the city of brotherly love for no reason. Also, in areas like Center City, people of all races and nationalities seem to get along. Go to Center City any weekend of the year and you will see many, many different types of interracial couples and racially ambiguous mixed people. Yes, Philly, as a whole, is very segregated which is very well documented, but areas like Center City are very socially progressive which I appreciate as a multiracial Bay Area native.
I think Boston to the north could also make the same argument compared to NYC. NYC is better because more people in the Northeast choose to live there than Philly by choice not counting the ones who don't. When I read the title of this thread I hear more about Philly trying to measure up to NYC comparisons on this forum. Philly will never measure up to the vast greatness of New York City. NYC has more quality of choices that more people from around the world would prefer. NYC has way more interracial mix than Philly no comparison. Philly is the underdog when compared to NY.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,121,202 times
Most of the hard-core Negadelphians have moved to NJ, leaving the way free and clear for those of us who love the city to improve it and enjoy it without their constant glass-half-empty whining. To them I say, "Dont let the doorknob hit ya where the good lord split ya"

Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,230,374 times
Alot of Philadelphias inferiority complex is due to being located between NYC and DC.

A couple years I remember a big East Coast snowstorm. The Weather Channel sent reporters to NYC and DC. The snowstorm worked out that NYC got wet snow flurries/slush, Washington got nothing, and oh yeah that 7 M metro Philadelphia in the midlle ended up getting like 2 feet of snow. No reporters and barely a mention.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,224,737 times
Philly wins this simply because unlike cleveland they still have a lot of pride for their city, a middle ground of pride and negitivity and then the people who despise philly.

Cleveland only has 2 type of people: Boosters and Despisers.

Quite frankly, Most rust belt cities in the midwest are like cleveland because their populace either hates or loves their central city. There is no middle ground. St.Louis is a little better than the other cities of the midwest but, its still very bad in this regard.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,558,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Alot of Philadelphias inferiority complex is due to being located between NYC and DC.

A couple years I remember a big East Coast snowstorm. The Weather Channel sent reporters to NYC and DC. The snowstorm worked out that NYC got wet snow flurries/slush, Washington got nothing, and oh yeah that 7 M metro Philadelphia in the midlle ended up getting like 2 feet of snow. No reporters and barely a mention.
deja vu?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM

932 posts, read 1,948,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
deja vu?
Does it count as "deja vu" if it's an annual thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City