Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has biggest inferiority complex? Cleveland or Philadelphia? Is there a city that has a wo
Cleveland, OH 22 45.83%
Philadelphia, PA 26 54.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,492 times

Advertisements

I spent alot of time in both cities, most recently Cleveland for almost 20 years. Philly is known to have inferiority complex. To me Cleveland has a bigger inferiority complex, I even found myself being defensive about the town when I lived there. Probabably doesn't help with the many sports team failures, lake effect snow, gloomy weather, river on fire, 'mistake on the lake', 2003 Northeast Blackout that originated in Eastlake generating station,etc. It is very apparent when you go to the Cleveland city-data forum the negative coments about the city compared to other city forums and the defensive attitudes from many posters. I don't see this most the other city forums I visit.

Last edited by ZnGuy; 10-22-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 AM

932 posts, read 1,943,871 times
Cleveland's going to lose this poll, if for no other reason than due to the sheer volume of Philly boosters.

I was raised to be a Negadelphian by my Negadelphian mother and grand parents, but my father was always very proud of the city. Absentee as he was, it still made an impression that stuck with me. When I was old enough to care, I started looking into the background and developing a real pride for Philly. Today, I resent the Negadelphian attitude that has been so prevalent since the 50s and has given this city such a large hole to dig out of. I don't believe Philadelphia is inferior to any city, but I do believe this culture of 2nd class thinking has set the city back 100 years. (50 years of regression plus 50 years of lost growth potential).

Today, as my generation begins to mature, I see a lot more Philly pride then I did when I was a kid. City council is still on a level of corruption that makes Chicago politicians green with envy, but crime is improving, neighborhoods are revitalizing, people are returning to a city they can be proud of. We'll see if something can happen to bring jobs back to town and keep the growth happening, but I, for one, have high hopes.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,390,609 times
Long live Philly

Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,911 times
Seems like the people I've met from these places have great pride for their hometowns. I mean, are there really tons of people from these cities who literally hate their city?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Does the "winner" get more votes or fewer?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Two cities with proud histories clawing their way back up from an industrial (decay) past.

To me one further along than the other but both to me will have better futures than their recent past and both will continue a part of what makes Amercia special

Philly in a New Light - Philly.com

Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I spent alot of time in both cities, most recently Cleveland for almost 20 years. Philly is known to have inferiority complex. To me Cleveland has a bigger inferiority complex, I even found myself being defensive about the town when I lived there. Probabably doesn't help with the many sports team failures, lake effect snow, gloomy weather, river on fire, 'mistake on the lake', 2003 Northeast Blackout that originated in Eastlake generating station,etc. It is very apparent when you go to the Cleveland city-data forum the negative coments about the city compared to other city forums and the defensive attitudes from many posters. I don't see this most the other city forums I visit.
That's kind of sad about Cleveland. Philadelphia has problems, but I've never heard anybody calling that city a 'mistake.' Far from it. Philadelphia only pales in comparison to New York City, which is pretty close to it. But what city doesn't?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
I think this writer does a pretty good job of explaining the situation in Philadelphia:

"We think we’re inferior in the way Woody Allen thinks he’s inferior―which is to say, not really at all. We’ve just made a totally neurotic, sometimes-entertaining, occasionally-annoying career of pretending that we think that we’re the always-and-forever underdog.

We’re fakers. Indulgers in faux inferiority complexes. I’d say that we even act superior in our belief that we are just soooo complicated, so much more loaded than other cities, thanks to that age-old inferiority thing. You think you’re complex? Please. Just try being a Philadelphian. We’ve really got issues. "
Philly’s Fake Inferiority Complex | The Philly Post

I am not too familiar with Cleveland but I enjoyed the city very much on my visit and I know plenty of reasons why Clevelanders should be proud of their city.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Do most Clevelanders even care about their city? For that reason alone I'd assume Philly should get the vote, but I hate to vote either of these cities as I haven't really gotten the impression either has an inferiority complex (Philly moreso than Cleveland, but really neither).

Old 10-27-2012, 03:02 PM

630 posts, read 994,180 times
Philly! It almost always rank last in surveys and very little mentioning of this city in the U.S.. Alot of people in this town feel poorly and lowly of this city. This city needs to build its way out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.