Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the most historical significance?
Boston 36 41.86%
Philadelphia 34 39.53%
Other 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,892 times

Advertisements

Both cities had a important role in the early stages of American history. Which city do you believe played a larger role in making America and why?

If you picked other, feel free to state your case for the other city you chose.

Examples of topics for debate:

-Historical events

-Culture

-Economy

-Inventions and Innovations

-Any other topics welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
This poll seems a little narrow to me. Strong cases can be made for New York and San Francisco as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
San Francisco? I don't know how well SF stacks up against the Northeastern cities...

I'd say this is mainly between Boston & Philadelphia--at least in terms of early/pre-USA--with Boston being more important prior to the revolution and Philadelphia playing a stronger role afterwards. However there's tons of cities with rich histories both in the eastern & western parts of the nation, with the Eastern part obviously having a huge edge in American history.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
I'd be more interested in a poll to pick #3. I've already given all my arguments for Philadelphia in another thread. You can really pick either and be right. I predict that for most people, the tie-breaker will be their opinions of the city and have nothing to do with history.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
In some ways you could say Boston was the brawn, Philadelphia was the brain.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 PM

123 posts, read 291,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
This poll seems a little narrow to me. Strong cases can be made for New York and San Francisco as well.
I disagree with this. Philadelphia is the birthplace of this country,SF and NY cannot compete with philly in terms of american history I'm sorry they just cant. Say what you will about the negatives of Philly but in american history every other city in this country (except for Boston which is just behind Philly) should bow down and kiss the ring of Philly. LOL I said kiss the ring, I know I'm crazy.

Some of Philly's credentials:-Liberty Bell

-Independence Hall

-Original capital of the U.S./ First U.S. Congress

-Country was founded here (signing of the Declaration of Independence and National Constitution happened here)

-Largest collection of colonial housing in the U.S. in Society Hill in Center City, Philadelphia

-First U.S. Flag made here

-Battles during the American Revolution fought here

-First public school in America here

-First U.S. Hospital, Pennsylvania Hospital (still in operation today)

-First Science Institute

-First Lightning Rod used here

-Electricity discovered here

-First School of Anatomy

-First Medical School

-First Theater

-Life Insurance Started here

-First Slavery Protests here

-First Public U.S. Bank

-Second Public U.S. Bank

-First Stock Exchange

-First Daily Newspaper published here

-First Medical Relief to the poor here

-First Steam Vessel moved here on the Delaware River

-First Law School in the U.S.

-First Carpet Factory Here

-First Turnpike here

-First U.S. Mint here (still in operation today)

-First water company and water sent through pipes here

-First Ink Printing here

-First Carbonated Water here

-First Insurance Company here

-First Savings Fund Society

-First Lithograph in the U.S.

-First College of Pharmacy

-First Successful Woman's Magazine

-Many first Locomotives tested here

-First gas pipes in the country laid here

-First Zoo in America

-First World's Fair in the U.S.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,821 times
Find a LARGE tome on NYC history an prepared to be wowed. Philly may still be the one though.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Find a LARGE tome on NYC history an prepared to be wowed. Philly may still be the one though.
There's no question that New York City has a lot of history. Unfortunately, a lot of it has been built over. I guess it's part of the price to pay to be the city that never sleeps.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of it has been built over.
Or torn down, like Federal Hall in Lower Manhattan. The close approximation of the old balcony where the George Washington statue now stands is a little tacky.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
I wouldn't compare San Francisco to the big East Coast cities in this, but San Francisco played a very key role in the development of the West Coast. It was a significant settlement even under the Spanish-Mexican government, although Monterey was the territorial capital. Once the Americans took over, all roads and most sources of finance flowed from San Francisco. San Francisco was The port on the West Coast. The Southern Pacific Railroad, which dominated California agriculture and politics, was based in San Francisco. There really wasn't another major city on the West Coast in the 19th Century. Los Angeles didn't reach 100,000 population until the 1900 Census, Seattle until the 1910 Census.

Many of San Francisco's historic buildings were of course destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire, though pockets of older buildings remain. There are dozens of buildings built between 1906 and World War 2; San Francisco has probably been better than most cities about preserving them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City