Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Do you realize the cost of living index rates philadelphia as more expensive than Seattle . I realize there are lots of philly boosters here but please check your facts before you boost we dont need made up numbers. And I guess that puts Philadelphia at the bottom of the pack . I would consider Chicago much more urban than Philadelphia . And when it comes to living in a city I would rather live in a downtown with all the amenities within walking distance. Philadelphia is very urban but still needs alot of work . I only comment because I have lived in city centers have of my life. So like everyday stuff not just tourist stuff like movie theaters, Grocery stores, And department stores the idea is you never have to leave the city center . Wont have to take a trip out of the city center to see movies or go shopping. So I would say Seattle has a better ballence than philadelphia and is cheaper.

They are pretty close actually on COL

Also you do realize there are grocery stores, depatrment stores, and even movie theaters even in the DT (within wlaking distance), right?

I imagine Seattle has more theaters and am positive it has more department stores in the DT

I know you love Seattle and while I do think Philly still needs work (but doesnt everyplace) as far as DTs go I dont see Seattle at the level of Philadelphia, in fact based on my experiences it has far more work to go to be complete. There is far more than movie theaters and grocery stores (they give admission to even play in the first place) not really the distinguishing factors of a DT

Chicago you are right is bigger in terms its urban space when compared to Philly just as Philly is bigger when compared to Seattle

Seattle though is definately an option though but a top 5 or 6 DT in country to me it is not, I imagine we will differ on this opinion but many more likely would place Philly ahead in this regard.

On completeness and never having to leave the DT - there was study that found only 5 complete DTs existed in the US, Seattle was not one (Philadelphia was) of them but was considered an emerging DT (which was still among a very respectable DT group)

http://www.brookings.edu/metro/pubs/20051115_birch.pdf

regardless both offer about the same COL (as does Chicago in this regard) and would probably fit the OP question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
regardless both offer about the same COL (as does Chicago in this regard) and would probably fit the OP question
Are we talking about downtown COL, within the city COL or metro COL? Most COLs I can find compare metro to metro, which isn't what the OP is looking for when he mentions "urban amenities". Greater Phila is for sure more expensive than the Seattle Metro, downtown areas are probably comparable in cost, but the one place I could find that compared city cost to city cost (not metro and not restricted to any one part of the city) had Seattle at 41% more expensive than Philly on the whole.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM

372 posts, read 466,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
By 1.2% but Las Vegas pays 2.0% better.

Now tell me the amenities are similar?
Pittsburgh has far more amenities. It all depends on what your view of "amenities" are. Pittsburgh has rail transit, diverse city neighborhoods, a great park system, density, great colleges, and a diverse economy. Las Vegas has one of the worst economies in the country right now, right up there with Detroit. I see what you're saying about restaurants and entertainment along the strip, but Las Vegas just doesn't have neighborhoods like Oakland and Shadyside. You may get a lot for your money in Vegas, but you also get a lot for your money in a myriad of other cities listed here that offer better economies and much better amenities depending on what you want out of an area.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM

372 posts, read 466,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Do you realize the cost of living index rates philadelphia as more expensive than Seattle . I realize there are lots of philly boosters here but please check your facts before you boost we dont need made up numbers. And I guess that puts Philadelphia at the bottom of the pack . I would consider Chicago much more urban than Philadelphia . And when it comes to living in a city I would rather live in a downtown with all the amenities within walking distance. Philadelphia is very urban but still needs alot of work . I only comment because I have lived in city centers have of my life. So like everyday stuff not just tourist stuff like movie theaters, Grocery stores, And department stores the idea is you never have to leave the city center . Wont have to take a trip out of the city center to see movies or go shopping. So I would say Seattle has a better ballence than philadelphia and is cheaper.
I wouldn't say Chicago is "much more" urban than Philly. IMHO, I think Philly is more urban than Chicago. From the row houses to the packed streets, Philly just has a more urban feel to it. From Center City to South Philly, it is a great range of density and architecture, that yes, you find in the Loop, but not to the same extent as you do in Philadelphia.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Love this area (DC/Baltimore), but if COL is a deal breaker then Denver, Minneapolis/St Paul, Chicago (chicago burbs suck and living in the city may be too expensive) and Seattle (Seattle may be too high COL too).

Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM

121 posts, read 152,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
COL in Vegas is offset by the lack of industry. You can...what? Be a stripper or a hooker? Options, man.
Let's be fair here there are more occupational options in Vegas. You can be a scumbag real estate scammer, subprime bank loan officer, a mafia dude, a pimp, a card dealer, and/or a timeshare salesman too.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
I'm not sure how much longer it will last (until Philly is on a more equal col with NY, Boston, DC) but I truly believe Philadelphia to have the best col/amenities balance in the US. I'm sure this could be proven somehow, and Chicago could give Philly some competition, but the location just isn't the same.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamaniac View Post
Let's be fair here there are more occupational options in Vegas. You can be a scumbag real estate scammer, subprime bank loan officer, a mafia dude, a pimp, a card dealer, and/or a timeshare salesman too.
Actually you can be a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Nurse, Grocer...and better paid in Las Vegas than in Pittsburgh say or most of the rust belt.

The Strip is the steel mill of Las Vegas. And it provides a huge number of well paying jobs. Those are not equaled by any of the rust built cities.

The Las Vegas construction industry is on its backside and not likely to recover any time soon. But the rest of the economy does as well or better than the US averages.

And it is a best buy on housing and cost of living.

It has a superior freeway system thus reducing the need for rail transport.

And it has a superior park system and its location provides easy access to such things as Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. Lake Mead Recreation area is within a half hour.

And on top of all that it has restaurants comparable to NY and LA and vastly superior to anywhere in the rust belts plus all the entertainment one could desire.

It continues to attract retirees in large numbers by its climate and amenities.

Again the prejudice of the easterners shows up in these threads...and facts just cause confusion.

I will also note my personal observation that there really is no where worth living east of the Mississippi.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 AM

121 posts, read 152,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Actually you can be a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Nurse, Grocer...and better paid in Las Vegas than in Pittsburgh say or most of the rust belt.

The Strip is the steel mill of Las Vegas. And it provides a huge number of well paying jobs. Those are not equaled by any of the rust built cities.

The Las Vegas construction industry is on its backside and not likely to recover any time soon. But the rest of the economy does as well or better than the US averages.

And it is a best buy on housing and cost of living.

It has a superior freeway system thus reducing the need for rail transport.

And it has a superior park system and its location provides easy access to such things as Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. Lake Mead Recreation area is within a half hour.

And on top of all that it has restaurants comparable to NY and LA and vastly superior to anywhere in the rust belts plus all the entertainment one could desire.

It continues to attract retirees in large numbers by its climate and amenities.

Again the prejudice of the easterners shows up in these threads...and facts just cause confusion.

I will also note my personal observation that there really is no where worth living east of the Mississippi.
The super high unemployment rate in Las Vegas indicates that there's much more going on behind the scenes and automatically negates a lot of those basic COL benefits. Plus Vegas is still a seedy city full of transient get rich types. The social scene reflects that where a night out is with a bunch of drunken tourists or befriending shady fly by night "professionals" in the city. I've known many many people who have lived and worked in Vegas too.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM

456 posts, read 774,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm not sure how much longer it will last (until Philly is on a more equal col with NY, Boston, DC) but I truly believe Philadelphia to have the best col/amenities balance in the US. I'm sure this could be proven somehow, and Chicago could give Philly some competition, but the location just isn't the same.
Given how subjective any of this is I highly doubt you could "prove" your belief to the satisfaction of a majority of folks. I think you have a reasonable case w.r.t Philadelphia's position in the Northeast but the a lot of the other regions in the country are lower cost and can also offer urban amenities. Much of the midwest comes to mind immediately: Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee etc and the sunbelt has always been historically one of the cheapest regions to live in with some areas that also support more than just suburbs.

I'll link the following table: The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest | Newgeography.com which only considers half of the equation COL adjusting the wages by regional col:

MSA Name 2011 Avg. Annual Wage Unadj. Rank 2011 Adj. Annual Wage Adj. Rank Rank Change
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX $59,838 8 $66,933 1 7
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA $92,556 1 $61,581 2 (1)
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI $53,424 17 $57,016 3 14
Memphis, TN-MS-AR $48,025 32 $55,908 4 28
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX $53,453 16 $55,564 5 11
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC $51,143 18 $54,816 6 12
Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN $49,886 24 $54,580 7 17
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX $50,422 19 $54,393 8 11
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA $60,123 7 $53,874 9 (2)
Columbus, OH $48,483 30 $53,691 10 20

In general downtowns have been strengthening over the last decade and that trend seems to be continuing so your choices and opportunities to live an urban lifestyle are expanding.

Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City