Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

NYC's projects [at least compared to other cities] are more integrated into the neighborhoods that they are build in. Also in NYC, you have your high rises, but you also have some mid-rise buildings. Where in Chicago, the public housing residents were just crammed into 5 or 6 20-story buildings. Like someone else said, NYC's are a bit more spread out. However, can I jump off subject here for a minute? I'm going to related what I'm about to say about that person referencing Chicago being a mess. I live in Louisiana, (on the southwest side), and New Orleans projects were not the towers that Chicago had, but they covered as much as 10 city blocks. The buildings were fairly small but the crime was horrendous (more so than some of these larger high rise type projects built in larger cities)! N.O. has torn down most of their public housing, but yet the city is still considered the murder capital of the U.S. What am I trying to say? I guess how tall or how short a building is does not matter. If a gang wants to terrorize, they will do so.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 10-30-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
Why NYC does it better? Usually, bigger city has bigger problem, but it is not the case in New York. Public housing has a very LONG waiting list here.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Chicago made the right choice bringing the wrecking ball to the endless rows of project eye soars as you enter the city. Robert Taylor homes use to be the country's largest. Unfortunately, there are some left that need to be raised. Public highrise projects aren't the answer for any city.

What use to be Chicago's southside

Last edited by urbanologist; 10-30-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Chicago made the right choice bringing the wrecking ball to the endless rows of project eye soars as you enter the city. Robert Taylor homes use to be the country's largest. Unfortunately, there are some left that need to be raised. Public highrise projects aren't the answer for any city.

What use to be Chicago's southside
Doesn't look that bad.Looks like NYC pj's

Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Look, whateva.

Why are we even discussing how messed up NYC was compared to other cities that are STILL living a NO MAN'S LAND existence??

Like I said, he needs to compare Chitown with Los Angeles, Detroit and New Orleans.
You realize they actually tore down almost all of the Chicago projects during the past 10 years. The population has gone from 200,000+ in the early 1990's to around 19,000 today.

The issue today is idiot teenage gangbangers who are running back and forth shooting other idiot teenage gangbangers because all the gangs got tossed up in the air when they gutted all the projects and are landing down in section 8 housing. The city cracked down in the past year and took out a ton of older gang leadership, and this has caused a fraction of the gangs into something like 600 little pieces that are now young, naive and leaderless as they go on these wild back and forth retaliation shootings. It's awful, but it's not really no mans land.

75% of the murders happen in areas with 25% of the population, and according to some stats over 75% of the violent crime happens on 9% of the city's blocks. It's very unfortunate for those unlucky people who are in those areas, almost entirely on the west and south sides, who sometimes get caught up in the crossfire.

The city has huge issues with crime, but unforunately as long as a large majority of the city sits in areas where they don't ever see the violence themselves - it's hard to get things done. Those neighborhoods have a very strong snitch culture and people are unwilling to help the police, as they feel people are unwilling to help them.

You need to research things a little better before spouting off crap. Growing up in the very late 70's and 80's....I also have doubts you realized what NYC was like back then.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
He's talking about overall crime throughout the city and @ nei your comment comparing murder rates where chicago was at 34 per 100,000 while NYC was 31 per 100,000. That's true but what's also true is that the NYC population was always at least double or triple the size of Chicago's. So while their sq. mile radius is nearly identifal (about 240 sq.miles for chicago to about 300 sq. mile for NYC)... NYC probably had more than double the amount of homicides of Chicago in its heyday... For example, if we were to use 1991 as an example... The murder rate reached its peak I believe at somewhere around 2200 murders in NYC with a population approaching 7 million (Roughly around 6.6million). Likewise, if the peak for Chicago was in 1991 as well and it's population was around 2 million then at a murder rate of 34 per 100,000 680 people would have been murdered... That as opposed to NYC's 2200... You really cannot understand the ****hole that was NYC during the crack days...
During the 90's I think Chicago's population was closer to 3 million than 2 million with a peak of around 980 murders.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM

170 posts, read 391,283 times
New York projects wouldn't even be known nationally if it wasn't for rappers...projects like cabrini green was notorious nationally mainly because of crime....

NYC projects is nice and sweet compared to chicago..everybody knows this

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
New York projects wouldn't even be known nationally if it wasn't for rappers...projects like cabrini green was notorious nationally mainly because of crime....

While New York originated "Rap" Chicago originated "House". The two cities had their own urban style of genre that spread the globe.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why not compare Chicago's projects to Detroit's?
No city can be compared to Detroit's decay since that city is too far gone. When a city's downtown (extending beyond neighborhood decay) have vacant skyscrapers with with windows broken and boarded up then yeah I could see some comparison. Chicago isn't that bad. Gary,In can relate more with Detroit. Also Chicago has way more residential highrises
than some cities combined outside NYC which explains the large number of public highrise projects it had. You need to get out and travel more.

Chicago ranks 2nd outside NYC when it comes to urban residential highrise living public or private.

Last edited by urbanologist; 10-31-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post

No disagreements here if we're talking 2012... If we're not then you're speaking out of your *** and know nothing of what you're talking about... I lived in an area that was dropping 120-130 bodies a year in the early 90s... Not a city... A Neighborhood... I'm not saying both cities didn't have their crime but in its heyday NYC was a different beast... You really have no clue as to what you speak so before you make yourself look like a complete fool you should just wrap it up and keep it moving... I'll agree with you that NYC projects in today's times are pretty tame, but back then... rapping wasn't the only thing these projects were known for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City