Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times

Advertisements

There was an article out awhile ago that talked about which major cities are essentially "natural disaster-free" (though granted, anything can happen) and I believe they named either Pittsburgh or Milwaukee as #1 safest city to be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 02:50 PM

342 posts, read 570,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Phoenix? Are you sure? http://www.atbreak.com/wp-content/up...y-5th-2011.jpg

I don't think there's really anywhere in the US that isn't prone to something. The Northeast and Upper Midwest are maybe less prone to disaster than other parts of the country, but obviously that isn't always true.
have you heard of a nor'easter?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
have you heard of a nor'easter?
Nor'easters aren't much to be afraid of, I'd say. Not like living in a tornado-prone area at all, which seems pretty scary.

You really have to consider the overall risk and the nature of the weather events. Almost anything can happen, but what's the worst that can happen? Not long ago, I would have boasted that the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast are pretty disasater-free, but two hurricanes later, even though I personally have not so much as lost my power in either of them, my perception of the risk from natural disasters of living here has changed. But at least with hurricanes, you have warning that they're coming. Not so much with tornadoes and earthquakes.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM

342 posts, read 570,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Nor'easters aren't much to be afraid of, I'd say. Not like living in a tornado-prone area at all, which seems pretty scary.

You really have to consider the overall risk and the nature of the weather events. Almost anything can happen, but what's the worst that can happen? Not long ago, I would have boasted that the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast are pretty disasater-free, but two hurricanes later, even though I personally have not so much as lost my power in either of them, my perception of the risk from natural disasters of living here has changed. But at least with hurricanes, you have warning that they're coming. Not so much with tornadoes and earthquakes.
people can freeze to death and be unable to drive and lose power for weeks and get killed by flying ice.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

tornadoes usually only affect a small area, and they're usually only on the ground for a few minutes. I think a Nor'easter does more damage, even though they're not as common

Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
The Weather Chanel did a study on this very question and came up with a list that was pretty popular a couple months ago. To make things "fair" they broke it down by region and named the "Safest weather city" for every region; mentioning that the South was the hardest to do this for because it has the most "dangerous" weather. Also something that has not been mentioned on this thread is HEAT. Heat is by far the most common cause of weather-related deaths in the US; The Weather Chanel took this into account when making there list. Here is a link to the video/article.

America's Safest Weather Cities - weather.com

Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The Weather Chanel did a study on this very question and came up with a list that was pretty popular a couple months ago. To make things "fair" they broke it down by region and named the "Safest weather city" for every region; mentioning that the South was the hardest to do this for because it has the most "dangerous" weather. Also something that has not been mentioned on this thread is HEAT. Heat is by far the most common cause of weather-related deaths in the US; The Weather Chanel took this into account when making there list. Here is a link to the video/article.

America's Safest Weather Cities - weather.com

Its interesting that heat causes more death than cold

Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Its interesting that heat causes more death than cold
See, and I thought that was common knowledge...

People can do a LOT for weather that starts to get uncomfortably cold, but when it's too hot there's only so much you can do and it doesn't take much of a rise in body temperature to cause death (same with a drop in temp, but again, since you can do so much more to prepare for cold than heat it doesn't seem to be as deadly). The key is being able to stabilize your body's temp, which is just so much easier with temps colder than your body temp.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
See, and I thought that was common knowledge...

People can do a LOT for weather that starts to get uncomfortably cold, but when it's too hot there's only so much you can do and it doesn't take much of a rise in body temperature to cause death (same with a drop in temp, but again, since you can do so much more to prepare for cold than heat it doesn't seem to be as deadly). The key is being able to stabilize your body's temp, which is just so much easier with temps colder than your body temp.
Yeah even looking at the NE, many places that some folks on this forum call cold have more heat related deaths than cold related. Philly as an example to me has more heat extremes than it does cold extremes. Neither are pleasant

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
I always thought that Philly was a frosty place in the winter but it's seemingly more mild and "Southern-like" than "frosty". Same with NYC. Neither city is nearly as cold as Hollywood makes it out to be on TV.....at least on average. Both cities CAN get quite uncomfortably hot, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City