Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Reputation: 8956

Advertisements

This is so silly. A huge meteorite could strike anywhere at any moment. Anything can happen anywhere. No where on Earth is "safe."

In denial if you think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Reputation: 5669
Definitely Detroit.

It has the lowest frequency of major snowstorms/blizzard of most major midwestern/northeastern cities, it's not near a major fault line, the air is so moist that wildfire concerns are almost nil, and because it's downwind of the Great Lakes, it doesn't see an awful lot of severe weather (Detroit may see the occasional hailstorm or gusty t'storm in the heart of summer).

It's just contending with the excessive cloudy days.

Too bad it has everything else going against it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Reputation: 13630
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I'm guessing there is also a tsunami risk with it being right on the coast.
Yeah but no major ones have ever hit SD in recorded history, the faults in SoCal don't produce tsunamis. The risk comes from quakes thousands of miles away and by the time it reaches SoCal I don't think they are that big. But anything can happen I suppose but the Ca coast isn't that flat. Lots of areas directly on the coast of SD are at least 20-30 ft above sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
 
12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Reputation: 5478
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is so silly. A huge meteorite could strike anywhere at any moment. Anything can happen anywhere. No where on Earth is "safe."

In denial if you think otherwise.
It is a probability. And it varies widely from place to place.

You can express it as...

What is the probability that your business will be unable to operate two days or more in any year?

It may well be different for different types of businesses...an unmanned data center with good power back up may have a much different answer than a retail store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is a probability. And it varies widely from place to place.

You can express it as...

What is the probability that your business will be unable to operate two days or more in any year?

It may well be different for different types of businesses...an unmanned data center with good power back up may have a much different answer than a retail store.
I understand the concept of statistical probability, but for "Acts of God" (which is an insurance company term), statistics don't matter . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Reputation: 5478
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I understand the concept of statistical probability, but for "Acts of God" (which is an insurance company term), statistics don't matter . . .
Who told you that?

Acts of Gods like earthquakes and hurricanes are very probabilistic.

Meteor strikes are very knowable in Probability terms. Probably better than earthquakes and hurricanes.

That the probability of a meteor strike is very low does not change its probability.

I believe the probability of getting killed by a meteor is used as a standard in the design of nuclear reactors...though that could be folklore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Who told you that?

Acts of Gods like earthquakes and hurricanes are very probabilistic.

Meteor strikes are very knowable in Probability terms. Probably better than earthquakes and hurricanes.

That the probability of a meteor strike is very low does not change its probability.

I believe the probability of getting killed by a meteor is used as a standard in the design of nuclear reactors...though that could be folklore.
Your premise is flawed. "Acts of God," by their very nature, are not predictable . . .and FYI, earthquakes and meteor strikes are also not predictable. As we can see from Hurricane Sandy, hurricanes are not predictable . . . you can look at history all you want - you can compile all of the statistics you want . . .but the accuracy of prediction is not there.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Reputation: 5478
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Your premise is flawed. "Acts of God," by their very nature, are not predictable . . .and FYI, earthquakes and meteor strikes are also not predictable. As we can see from Hurricane Sandy, hurricanes are not predictable . . . you can look at history all you want - you can compile all of the statistics you want . . .but the accuracy of prediction is not there.


Nonsense. The occurrence of an event is not predictable. But the probability of an event is still perfectly knowable.

See the insurance rates in Florida for homes in the hurricane belt.

All these people in NJ and NY now wish they had flood insurance. Why did they not? Because they saw the probability of such an event as to small to be worth paying for the coverage.

And note the coverage was available at a reasonably low price...because the probability of flooding in that area was considered very low.

Act of God implies inevitability and no means to avoid it. And often excluded from standard insurance policies. But virtually always available as an add on or secondary coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
 
14 posts, read 23,021 times
Reputation: 16
Milwaukee , Atlanta , and Memphis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2022, 06:56 AM
 
3,509 posts, read 9,422,875 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
What about a drought?



My money would be on the "Great Lakes" area, more specifically Chicago, and to a lesser extent (given the title of the thread) Milwaukee.

They both sit on one of the BIGGEST supplies of fresh water in the entire WORLD. Limited chance for tornadoes. A limited chance for flooding. Not near any major fault lines. Forest fires are rare. No mud slides ever. No hurricanes. No typhoons. No tropical storms.
Great Lake metropolitan areas over 500,000 that use a Great Lake as a source for their water supply.

Syracuse, NY
Rochester, NY
Buffalo, NY
Grand Rapids, MI
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, Ohio
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Toledo, Ohio
Detroit, MI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top