Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM

398 posts, read 1,393,382 times

Advertisements

Idk about now. I'd put my money on LA since NYC is very safe. But at their peaks it's NYC no contest as far as in concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM

398 posts, read 1,393,382 times
Glad to see both cities are doing great now compared to what they were before.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,967 times
Nyc of course

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,223,119 times
LA is probably doing worse now then NYC but NYC in the 70's was terrible.

LA has serious water problems, congestion and a large amount of illigal immigrants. Not to say that LA hasnt lessened these problems dramtically but LA struggles.

NYC is in a boom right now, more so then most northeastern cities, which is good.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM

266 posts, read 410,857 times
I'd say overall maybe LA is a little worse then NYC now mainly because Manhattan drives NYC's crime rate down a lot since there are so many people living there but not much crime outside of certain pockets (i.e. East Harlem).

Back in the day there is no question it was NYC. The South Bronx of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's is probably the worst ghetto/slum this country has ever seen and probably will see for some time. Crime was through the roof, poverty was through the roof and landlords were burning down there buildings for insurance money. It is probably the only time and place in America that looked like a second or third world country.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,949,599 times
Honestly both NYC and LA are fine examples of how to keep a gigantic metropolis safe.

I think LA still has that thorn in its side of gang violence but compared to 25 years ago, it's practically non-existant.

IMO both cities are doing very well despite the circumstances. I'd hate to see either of them fail in any way. They are America's flagships

Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Folks acting like LA didn't have a high murder rate in the 80's and 90's also. NYC was BAD, but LA was pretty dang BAD in it's own right also. Both cities had a pretty high murder rate in the early 90's. They both reached their murder peaks in 92'. Not to mention the LA riots that killed 50+ people. Deadliest riot in US history.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:16 AM

18 posts, read 39,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
I'd say overall maybe LA is a little worse then NYC now mainly because Manhattan drives NYC's crime rate down a lot since there are so many people living there but not much crime outside of certain pockets (i.e. East Harlem).

Back in the day there is no question it was NYC. The South Bronx of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's is probably the worst ghetto/slum this country has ever seen and probably will see for some time. Crime was through the roof, poverty was through the roof and landlords were burning down there buildings for insurance money. It is probably the only time and place in America that looked like a second or third world country.
LA in the 80s and 90s was just as bad as NYC if not worse. Ghettos like East LA, Compton, Watts and South Central were just as bad as the NYC hoods. Crack hit LA before it hit NYC, and LA became the gang capital of the US during this era. There were terrible race relations between blacks, whites, Asians and Hispanics. LA was smaller than NYC and was putting up almost as many murders as NYC. Look at the '92 LA Riots, LA was really, really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City