Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
What i' ve heard from here :
1/NYC
2/SF

both cities by a long shot.
I don't believe about LA
Agreed. LA is one of the most disappointing cities from my experience to both domestic and international tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Agreed. LA is one of the most disappointing cities from my experience to both domestic and international tourists.
And what's your foundation?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
There are tons of tourists in Florence and Venice, but Rome and Milan are the premier cities in Italy. Who cares what foreigners think.

Orlando and Vegas, most of the tourists don't even go in the actual cities.
You're right, but what does it matter? No one's saying these cities are somehow superior to cities who receive less tourist. Orlando and Vegas get beaten on enough, wouldn't you agree? They're good tourist cities. Let's give them credit for that at least.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
It receives quite a few overseas tourist so I don't get this.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
I have been to LA many times. The first time I decided to drive across country at about 19 years old, that's where I went. My girlfriend and I drove from Houston to LA in a two-door Toyota Tercel. We stayed at a Travelodge in Burbank. We ate at cool little restaurants on Melrose. We got sunburned in Redondo. We went to a record release party for Depeche Mode on Cahuenga. We drove up Mulholland to see the lights, we went to Universal Studios. We hung out in Hollywood and went to see the Johnny Carson Show (which should tell you how long ago that was, to illustrate how vivid the memory is, rather than how old I am).

Since that time, I have always met a trip back to LA with great anticipation. I have been back many times, for both pleasure and business. I have never been disappointed...but then, I am not foreign.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Almost everony I have met from Argentina, Ecaudor, Chile, Italy, the U.K., Puerto Rico, and almost everyone else I know here in the U.S. were disappointed by L.A. They didn't hate it, but they were disappointed.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I would think the Northeast cities; NYC/Phila/Boston/DC as well as Miami Chicago New Orleans and San Francisco.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It receives quite a few overseas tourist so I don't get this.
What are you talking about? This isn't about most visited cities. This is about cities where people have visited and were disappointed AFTER their visit. Even though Las Vegas is also a major tourist draw, that doesn't mean that most people who go there like it.

Most visitors does not equal most people liking the place. It's possible to visit a place you have never been to before and be disappointed by it. I was just stating that that has been my experience with people who have visited LA. Many foreigners wanted to visit LA and once they did they were disappointed.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Almost everony I have met from Argentina, Chile, Italy, the U.K., Puerto Rico, and almost everyone else I know here in the U.S. were disappointed by L.A. They didn't hate it, but they were disappointed.

LA is harder to get to know but I have to be honest it continues to grow on me and I personally find it a great place to visit. In many ways it is a different experience from say a NYC or Chicago in the purest city sense but offers a different tourist experience. I like different experiences, part I why I enjoy travel

Alos based on my personal experience both US and non US folks seem to enjoy LA in a majority based on what I have seen. Same can basically said for anywhere. A place like NYC is loved by many but also not by others.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
European generally do not like cities without good public transport .It is one of reason that they like NY/SF /CHICAGO and BOSTON
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City