Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 03:08 PM

817 posts, read 596,866 times

Advertisements

I actually just moved to the US from abroad. My experience is that there are three tiers in terms of the appeal or prestige of cities to foreigners.

Tier 1

SF
NYC
LA
Miami
Honolulu

Tier 2

Washington DC
Boston

Tier 3

Chicago
Vegas
San Diego
Maybe Atlanta/New Orleans/Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 04:58 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Chicago and Vegas might be Tier 2. Other than that - this seems correct.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:37 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
They like:: New York, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Miami, San Francisco, Orlando, Boston, and Washington DC.

Seattle, Los Angeles and Houston may be next.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:07 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
One thing about foreigners is that most of them are used to living in walkable places and love having easy access to things. This is exactly why a lot of immigrants in nyc do not leave the city as quick as American raised New Yorkers. My dad can’t imagine living anywhere else in America except for Florida and that’s only because his kids from his first wife live there and he’d be taken care of.

But yea my dad doesn’t understand how people can be find comfort living far from basic necessities and have to depend on a car for everything. My dad hasn’t driven a car since 1997 and he used to be a NY cab driver in the grimey and crack killed 80s and early 90s

Old 05-30-2022, 08:18 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I actually just moved to the US from abroad. My experience is that there are three tiers in terms of the appeal or prestige of cities to foreigners.

Tier 1

SF
NYC
LA
Miami
Honolulu

Tier 2

Washington DC
Boston

Tier 3

Chicago
Vegas
San Diego
Maybe Atlanta/New Orleans/Seattle
But again, are we talking about places that foreigners prefer to move to or ones they like to visit?

Old 05-30-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
But again, are we talking about places that foreigners prefer to move to or ones they like to visit?
I'm not sure there's a huge difference in those two lists, but I would say DC and Boston would rank higher on the "to live" list than on the "visit" list, and I would probably put Houston, Tampa, and maybe DFW high on the "live" list and not at all on the "visit" list. Very few foreigners would want to live full time in Vegas or Orlando, but they sure do love to visit.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure there's a huge difference in those two lists, but I would say DC and Boston would rank higher on the "to live" list than on the "visit" list, and I would probably put Houston, Tampa, and maybe DFW high on the "live" list and not at all on the "visit" list. Very few foreigners would want to live full time in Vegas or Orlando, but they sure do love to visit.
There’s a massive difference actually.

Houston is the 3rd most moved to metro area by foreigners in the US and DFW is 6th. Yet, neither has much foreign tourist value. Honolulu, San Diego, and all of Florida not Miami or Orlando are very high on to visit and not that high on to move to. Even Philadelphia and Vegas laggards between visit and live for a foreigner.

They are two separate and distinct topics and should be treated as such.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:

Houston is the 3rd most moved to metro area by foreigners in the US and DFW is 6th. Yet, neither has much foreign tourist value. Honolulu, San Diego, and all of Florida not Miami or Orlando are very high on to visit and not that high on to move to. Even Philadelphia and Vegas laggards between visit and live for a foreigner.

Neither has much tourist value domestically either

Old 05-30-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:

I feel like you just reiterated exactly what I wrote.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Neither has much tourist value domestically either
Yeah. I agree.

Quote:
I feel like you just reiterated exactly what I wrote.
I apologize if I misread. I thought you had said they were mostly the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City