Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times

Advertisements

where'd you get the numbers from other NY cities from? Rochester and Buffalo numbers aren't too horrible for rust belt numbers. The most violent parts of the NY metro are in and around Newark, NJ, which has a higher murder rate than any neighborhood in NYC (at least in 2012, but I'd surprised if that's not true again given the city has a lower murder rate). I'm a bit puzzled why there's such a difference is. Is better crime fighting, more stagnation or something else? [The Bronx and Newark have a similar median income]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
where'd you get the numbers from other NY cities from? Rochester and Buffalo numbers aren't too horrible for rust belt numbers. The most violent parts of the NY metro are in and around Newark, NJ, which has a higher murder rate than any neighborhood in NYC (at least in 2012, but I'd surprised if that's not true again given the city has a lower murder rate). I'm a bit puzzled why there's such a difference is. Is better crime fighting, more stagnation or something else? [The Bronx and Newark have a similar median income]
They aren't bad for Rust Belt cities, true. They're bad in comparison to NYC though. I got the numbers from city-data.

As for Newark, I look at it like this. Newark is in New Jersey. Why it is part of the NYC corridor, it's in another state, so its murder numbers don't affect New York state.

One interesting thing I've learned about New Jersey is this. NJ has a law that does not recognize gun permits from other states. You can't import firearms from other states without permission from the state. Even if you are just a hunter passing through,if you violate that law, you will be prosecuted. Somehow, Newark has a very high murder rate, and it's lower than it has been before. I don't know what it could be with New Jersey.

The odd thing is, New Jersey has the same set up as Connecticut. A small state with a high population density. It has alot of suburban areas and some rural areas, and they are often middle class areas, safe, and some are working class areas. And then there are a few cities that serve as pockets of violence and poverty(for CT, it's Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven. For NJ, it's Newark, Paterson, Camden,etc).

Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
They aren't bad for Rust Belt cities, true. They're bad in comparison to NYC though. I got the numbers from city-data.

As for Newark, I look at it like this. Newark is in New Jersey. Why it is part of the NYC corridor, it's in another state, so its murder numbers don't affect New York state.

One interesting thing I've learned about New Jersey is this. NJ has a law that does not recognize gun permits from other states. You can't import firearms from other states without permission from the state. Even if you are just a hunter passing through,if you violate that law, you will be prosecuted. Somehow, Newark has a very high murder rate, and it's lower than it has been before. I don't know what it could be with New Jersey.

The odd thing is, New Jersey has the same set up as Connecticut. A small state with a high population density. It has alot of suburban areas and some rural areas, and they are often middle class areas, safe, and some are working class areas. And then there are a few cities that serve as pockets of violence and poverty(for CT, it's Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven. For NJ, it's Newark, Paterson, Camden,etc).
Perhaps because in Connecticut and New Jersey, the majority of the poor and working class end up being confined to the few areas that are relatively affordable. People of little income aren't as spread out compared to areas in the SE or SW. That's what I think.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
True, that's how state-wide stats work. But Newark is close to NYC, 10 miles, closer to the Wall Street area of Manhattan than some of NYC proper. It's far more connected to NYC than say, Rochester. In 1990, I'd assume the crime rates of Newark were similar to New York City, or at least a lower income neighborhood of NYC. Now they've diverged. Violent crime city-wide declined drastically in the last twenty years, Newark less so. Either:

1) NYC did something right in fighting crime
2) Different demographics even if close
3) The worst of NYC moved to Newark (many poor neighborhoods didn't have drastic demographic shifts, however many got immigrants)

Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Perhaps because in Connecticut and New Jersey, the majority of the poor and working class end up being confined to the few areas that are relatively affordable. People of little income aren't as spread out compared to areas in the SE or SW. That's what I think.
Sounds about right. CT and NJ aren't exactly the cheapest places to live. However, this is to a certain extent. One thing I notice about NJ as oppose to CT is this. In NJ, there is a higher likelihood to find the poor and working class outside of Newark, Camden, and Paterson. Where as, it isn't as likely in CT.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
True, that's how state-wide stats work. But Newark is close to NYC, 10 miles, closer to the Wall Street area of Manhattan than some of NYC proper. It's far more connected to NYC than say, Rochester. In 1990, I'd assume the crime rates of Newark were similar to New York City, or at least a lower income neighborhood of NYC. Now they've diverged. Violent crime city-wide declined drastically in the last twenty years, Newark less so. Either:

1) NYC did something right in fighting crime
2) Different demographics even if close
3) The worst of NYC moved to Newark (many poor neighborhoods didn't have drastic demographic shifts, however many got immigrants)
What's more ironic is this. Jersey City(Malcolm-Jamal Warner's home town), is far safer than Newark, while being closer to NYC than Newark is. I wouldn't be surprised if some of New York City's worst ended up in Newark. Some of NYC's worst ended up in Minneapolis at one time. However, how JC is safer than Newark, despite being closer to NYC than Newark is and being next to Newark, it leaves something to explore.

One thing to consider, is what is up with Newark, as oppose to the rest of the NYC metro. While NYC might have done alot to bring its murder rate down, other places saw murder rates fall too. Newark remains dangerous.

Newark is more connected to the NYC area than Rochester will ever be. That is true. What I'm saying is that Newark doesn't contribute to New York state's crime problems. What I was getting to was that with NY state's crime rate being relatively low, this is the situation: Most of NY state's population is around the NYC area(NYC, Westchester,Rockland counties, and Long Island). NYC has a relatively low crime rate and with the lion's share of NY state's population, that part of NY makes up for more violent cities in NY state. The most violent cities in NY state aren't anywhere near NYC. Now for New Jersey, on the other hand, that is a different story. The most violent city of 100,000 or more people in NJ is part of the NYC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City